Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Prepare to dig deeper in your pocket!!! (Read 5238 times)
SMITTY
Ex Member

Prepare to dig deeper in your pocket!!!
05/20/05 at 22:04:03
Quote Print Post  
Thanks to our governor, many of us who are boat owners are going to have an added expense.
I cut and pasted the following from Friday the 20th's Seattle Times. Shocked
Washington boaters will soon be required to have a minimum level of training to operate a boat.

The mandatory boater education bill was signed into law this week by Gov. Christine Gregoire and requires the completion of a basic boating class or passage of an exam to obtain a state boater-education card.

"Our mission is to get more people boating and encourage safety on the water," said Michael Campbell, president of the Northwest Marine Trade Association, one of the founding groups of the Washington Alliance for Mandatory Boater Education.

"We feel it's important to have a law that is fair to boaters and yet doesn't restrict access to boating," Campbell said.

The new law will require the boater to carry a card — which is not a license — when operating a boat of greater than 15 horsepower. Boaters under age 12 may drive a boat as long as they are with a person 16 years and older with a valid education card.

The Washington law will have a phase-in period for compliance. For example, boaters under age 20 would be required to obtain their card by Jan. 1, 2008. All boaters would be required to comply by Jan. 1, 2016. Boaters born before Jan. 1, 1955 are exempt from the new law.

Thousands of Washington boaters have already received a certificate of completion from a Coast Guard Auxiliary or U.S. Power Squadron boating-safety class.

The boating safety test, a practice test and study course materials are available at www.boat-ed.com/wa/index.htm.

Thanks Ms. Gregoire  Kiss Kiss!!  How many more taxes and fees can you dream up before the election in November?

Smitty
Angry

Nanner Nanner

« Last Edit: 05/24/05 at 17:10:14 by »  

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Re: Prepare to did deeper in your pocket!!!
Reply #1 - 05/20/05 at 22:20:45
Quote Print Post  
Hey Smitty,
  Are you going to investigate whether the guys on the water with more driving experience in boats than most drivers of vehicles are also exempt?  I agree, WHAT NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/05 at 22:44:15
Quote Print Post  
Next it will be a baitcaster handling card!!! Which can be obtained after a casting safety course. The test will require 10 consecutive cast without a backlash...half of us are screwed!!

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/05 at 03:25:10
Quote Print Post  
Rob,
I think I would be the leader of the screwed group!! Grin

I do think it is a good Idea seeing as how so many people out there have no idea what they are doing with a boat much less with a car/truck attached to a boat.

I also think that if they are not going to operate a boat but once or twice a year they should have to go through a refreasher class before putting their boat on the water.

And I think you should have to have a license to have children!
Sorry that has nothing to do with what was being talked about.

Just my little rant

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/05 at 07:00:10
Quote Print Post  
How can you let a kid under the age of 12 drive a boat?? NOOOOO way buddy.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/21/05 at 23:04:11
Quote Print Post  
Smitty,

While I don't like the fact that we are given yet another thing to do to enjoy our hobbies, I think it will be a pretty minimal commitment. If our state is modeled after Oregon's boater education system, which a Sheriff from Oregon told myself and Terry Steffensen it should be, than we will only be required to sit down in front of an internet class for about an hour after studying a small training book. In fact, I think Terry S. completed the whole Oregon process in less than two hours... Why did you have to do that again, Terry? Hehehe.

Chris
« Last Edit: 05/24/05 at 15:24:09 by »  

IP Logged

Mike_W
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/23/05 at 23:41:06
Quote Print Post  
I personnaly think that they should have a "common sense" course required long before a boating safety coarse. That would take care of half the yahoo's out there. Is there a way to teach someone common sense? I am sure a safety course will not change anything. Look at how many bad drivers there are out there. They don't teach you how not to back over your friend coming out of the driveway. And they probably will not teach you how not to run over your skier after they have fallen.

One good thing is that you will get a discount on your your boat insurance.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/24/05 at 00:38:40
Quote Print Post  
Not sure if this is a poor idea or not.  Ultimately, as the discussion shows, common sense is becoming a lost art, and it is certainly not something that can be legislated.  From that aspect, it is a poor idea, but from a pure safety perspective, it is good.  I think our club would be miles ahead to have a veteran boater volunteer put together a program to offer at a general meeting that prepares us all for the testing.  It could be a good time to discuss past experiences and hard lessons.  I know I have a few to offer the new boater, like maintenance, backing principles, etc.  This would put our club another step forward and seperate us from the rest, yet again.  Speaking of common sense, I lost some again this week-end...do not excitedly lip a smallie with a lucky craft in it's mouth from the net.  I ended up with four of six hooks in the side of my hand.  Can you cay "never learn"???
Kirk

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/24/05 at 04:13:40
Quote Print Post  
I have a failsafe method for new club members to learn the proper boating and trailering methods: Invite Scott Ramirez back to the club!!!

Some of my fondest club memories include Scott and Kirk (Gotfive, himself) sitting next to the boat ramp on tournament morning taunting every backer-upper and offering smart suggestions on how to improve their crappy boating techniques.  Grin I know it helped me improve fast!

Chris

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/24/05 at 15:42:36
Quote Print Post  
Chris, taunting is such a strong word....consider that I just enjoy stretching my entertainment dollar.  I must say that, unfortunately, there does not appear to be anyone uncomfortable with launching or loading boats.  I do miss your rookie days, but even you are no fun anymore, you have gotten so good.....I miss the jackknife's on the ramp, it went so well with the morning coffee..

kh

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Prepare to dig deeper in your pocket!!!
Reply #10 - 05/24/05 at 17:45:58
Quote Print Post  
The jackknifes may not be the issue, but the running the trailers into objects while parking is still appearant....hence my jacked-up fender............Dipsnort  Grin Kirk maybe you can stand over by the parking lot with that cup of Joe in the morning and rid of that issue..

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/24/05 at 18:30:09
Quote Print Post  
Who...me?? Grin

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/24/05 at 19:01:34
Quote Print Post  
I'm a newb when it comes to trailering, but I've done OK so far  Wink  Just don't put me on the spot.

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/24/05 at 20:31:58
Quote Print Post  
Before everyone stresses out about giving each other a bad time, get your rig in a parking lot somewhere and PRACTICE!!!!!

Kirk

IP Logged

Got 2 Small Bags
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/24/05 at 22:13:01
Quote Print Post  
Guys

The new boating test is not a bad thing, it's just another thing. I think when or if this comes in effect we might be able to get someone from the state to come in and administer the test to the club at one of our monthly meetings. I beleive this would be a feather in the states cap and ours for taking initiative at the onset of the new law.

My 2 cents or 2 small bags

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo