Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New Member Looking for reel (Read 3292 times)
steve_lewis
Ex Member

New Member Looking for reel
04/30/05 at 01:49:23
Quote Print Post  
I'm a new member.  I fished a the Silver Lake Draw Tourney.  I fished by myself Saturday and with Larry on Sunday.  Thank you Larry for a great learning day.  Everyone I met was real helpful and gracious. 

I learned I need some gear... The first Item I'm looking for is a good reel for flipping.  If anyone has one for sale or a good recommendation I'm interested.

Thanks again for the fun time at Silver.

Steve Lewis

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: New Member Looking for reel
Reply #1 - 05/18/05 at 05:29:31
Quote Print Post  
Well there are several to choose from but I have one I would recommend. The Shimano Castaic. They make an older version and a newer one. Both are great but the new one has the Superfree bearing which also makes it great for pitchin because it allows you to toss lighter baits if need be. Both of these have a function where you can engage the spool with your thumb without having to change hands or turn the real. Does that make sense? When you want to pull more line out when flipping, you push the button, pull line and engage the reel with the same thumb you pushed it with. There are several other reels that have a flipping switch but it works differently. Wheny ou have the switch on, the spool bar comes up when you take your thumb off. This makes pitchin with the reel harder though because you have to either change the function back to normal or keep the button pushed down.

Go with the Shimano. You can find them cheaper on Ebay and can get good used deals. Don't worry about getting burned either because you can send the reel in for like 30 bucks and have the inards rebuilt like new.

Hope this helps.....and sorry you didn't get an earlier response. This one slipped past me.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/18/05 at 15:49:03
Quote Print Post  
Also, Steve,  You should put the post in the "Buy, sell, or trade" section.

Rich

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/05 at 20:58:25
Quote Print Post  
You know the only thing that sucks about the buy/sell/trade is that it is in the members only section. When you want to sell something, do you care if a non member buys it? I doubt it. More eyes see it in here.. something we should look at.
« Last Edit: 05/19/05 at 00:22:50 by »  

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/18/05 at 22:33:21
Quote Print Post  
H-H-M-M-M-M   Good point.

Rich

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/19/05 at 00:00:00
Quote Print Post  
where is the buy-sell-trade section? i'm a member and i don't see it.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/19/05 at 00:04:18
Quote Print Post  
Grubber, are you a member of WBC or just a member of the forum board?

The buy sell trade section is under the WBC members section.

Rich

Also, we are having a problem at this time with getting permissions for new club members.

Rich

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/05 at 00:14:44
Quote Print Post  
i am a wbc member. and a member on the forum.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/19/05 at 00:20:34
Quote Print Post  
Yeah remember we are having issues with Admin people able to update the forum. They may not have granted you members access yet. This is an issue we are working on...Example: Chuck's president article is like 2 months old.

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/05 at 00:40:13
Quote Print Post  
ok

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/19/05 at 01:01:58
Quote Print Post  
I have three right handed pflueger presidents for sale.  The are in almost new condition for $75 ea.  I'll have them at the meeting Thursday and at Potholes.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo