Normal Topic My Lake Has Come To Life (Read 2096 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

My Lake Has Come To Life
04/29/05 at 15:33:59
Quote Print Post  
As many of you know I fish Lake "M" a lot in the spring, but this year decided to hit it early since the weather has been nice. Was quite shocked to see water temps range from 61-62 allready. These temps are normal for June when the fish are in prespawn/spawn. I got out later than I expected and was planning on going out earlier when something came up with my business, so I said what the heck.

First five to six docks produced nothing, next two produced a couple of bucks-but didn't want them on the line so I shook them off. I switched sides and low and behold there is one about 5+ under a dock. I skipped my usual to her and she nosed down on it, but decided not to take it. At this time daylight was going fast so instead of forcing the issue with this fish I decided to move 2 docks down. I skipped my usuall bait and i said  to myself "man is my elbow back in form or what", and  then I let the bait sink. After a 10 second fall i picked up my slack and said am i hung under the dock, man what a perfect skip, no noise, no splash, just perfect. I pulled slowly back on the bait again and it just felt like I was hung on the pilling under the dock. I said great, just what I needed for the last cast of the day. I preceeded to move toward the dock to get my bait unhung when I felt a slight "Tick" on the line. OOOOOHHHH!! I said this is no dock I am hung on, So I reared back and the fight was on, so I thought. Thats when I felt the wood again on the dock. Man whats going on I said to myself, so I decided to just let my line go slack.

All of a sudden the line was moving toward the right side of the dock very slowly. Now by this time I new I had originally hooked the 6+ Largie and started to fight her when she drove me to the left again. About a minute later I grabbed her by the lip and she was finally mine. I looked at her as she was plump with eggs and almost ready to spawn and slipped her back in the water.

Not a bad night for an hour and a half, dead calm lake, warm, a good way to unwind after a very stressful day and a fight from a fish who was determined to be crafty in her own ways.

It was nice to be out,

Tight Lines,

Russ

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Re: My Lake Has Come To Life
Reply #1 - 04/29/05 at 16:04:51
Quote Print Post  
O.K. O.K. Russ,  then you woke up and what happened then?  I hope you didn't drop your "rod".  Course you were probably "finesse" wishing.  HAHAHA

Rich

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/29/05 at 16:40:20
Quote Print Post  
Rich,

No dream at all. All though I have had quite a few of those. This is the third six plus I have caught in less than a month it looks as though we are going to have a great spring big bassathon. Just look at the last 2 months how many 8+'s we have had. Evreybody get out there and have a spring blast. These lakes should be on fire-Sawyer, Spencer, Lawrence,Goodwin-I will hit next week after work, North, Angle, Doloff.
Tight Lines,
Russ

IP Logged

Carlos
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/29/05 at 21:27:31
Quote Print Post  
Hey Russ I've never done any good at Doloff. Could you give me some pointers? I know there has to be some nice fish in there.

Carlos

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/29/05 at 23:54:19
Quote Print Post  
Carlos,

From the ramp fish the entire left side with Grubs and Tubes, cranks also work sometimes along the first drop off. First time I ever dropped a bass boat in there was in the late 80's and stuck over 20lbs, my biggest was around 4-1/2.
Russ

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/30/05 at 04:22:37
Quote Print Post  
I have never had much luck at Doloff either, a very bassy looking lake though.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo