Normal Topic California Trip (Read 1142 times)
Rob M.
Ex Member

California Trip
04/21/05 at 04:13:57
Quote Print Post  
The trip to California was fun. I got 4 days on the water. 2 in the Delta and 2 at a little reservoir called Calero. The bite was a little slower than I would have hoped but we managed fish, just not anything big. 5 lbs was the biggest out of the Delta on a spinnerbait. The end of the front was blowing in cold air at night and would drop surface temps by 5 degrees. I had one day on Calero that was super windy. It never stopped. I fished a wind blown point that had shad stacked up on and had a limit in 20 minutes. I just fan casted the whole area and would get 2-3 lbers. I would return to the spot and pick off another few fish each attempt. My best would have been 12-13 lbs.

The second trip to the Delta was a little better then the first. The front had passed but the larger females were still harder to locate. We pitched into deeper tullie berms and slammed 2 pounders. Most likely the males looking for bedding areas. The biggest was about 3 lbs. Once the tide went out it got even tougher. There may have been a better bite elsewhere but that place is huge and we didn't run all over. The weather was nice and a constant bite even though they were smaller fish made the day fun.

The gas was the big kicker and it is a 15 hr drive to get there. I pulled it twice without killing myself. Driving through the night was the toughest. I will definately attempt the trip in the future and would be happy to share the experience with someone. It is an awesome fishery!!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: California Trip
Reply #1 - 04/22/05 at 06:42:54
Quote Print Post  
Nice job Rob....I would take the trip. as I have always wanted to.

IP Logged

TeamEagle
Ex Member

Re: California Trip
Reply #2 - 04/22/05 at 15:31:21
Quote Print Post  
Same here I think that would be a dream trip, I have never Bass fished out of the state.

Carlos

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo