Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Walleye in Lake Washington? (Read 4236 times)
TeamEagle
Ex Member

Walleye in Lake Washington?
03/30/05 at 20:59:35
Quote Print Post  
Hey Sarge, is that picture of the walleye on the Seattle Times website from one of the net's you guy's put out there in lake Washington? If so what's your take on this find?

Carlos

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Re: Walleye in Lake Washington?
Reply #1 - 03/30/05 at 21:51:33
Quote Print Post  
Carlos,

Yeah, Chris caught it (you can see his name on the sample tag in the photo). Chris posted about this under the WBC Internal Matters forum.

Danny

IP Logged

TeamEagle
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/05 at 22:11:55
Quote Print Post  
Oh I never seen that forum "WBC Internal Matters" it must be private.

Carlos

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/30/05 at 22:48:00
Quote Print Post  
Howdy Carlos,

Below is a post I put in the Internal Matters section. I originally put it there because the state hadn't released an official opinion yet...

I was interviewed by Fishing and Hunting News a couple of weeks ago, so keep an eye for an article in their April 7th edition.

Hi all,

Last Thursday, a co-worker and myself caught what is the first confirmed walleye out of Lake Washington. There have been reports of walleye seen on Aqua-Vu's, but this is the first captured fish. Besides the Lower Columbia River, this is probably the first Western Washington walleye ever caught.

We caught it in a gillnet set off Denny Park (near Juanita Bay) in approximately 30 feet of water. It was about 16 inches long, and should be about 2-3 years of age. We haven't done aging and diet analysis yet, but when we do I will fill you in with more information. The state has been informed of the fish, and there might be a blurb about it in the paper. Keep your eyes open.

Past alleged camera sightings have been near Sand Point, so it is possible that a population of adults are living up north. No juveniles have been seen yet. In a new population of fish that takes hold, people usually discover juveniles first, so it is possible that a few of these fish were illegally planted but haven't had a chance to spawn.

It will be interesting to see what kind of implications these fish will have for Lake Washington if they take off in the next decade or so. Lake Washington already has a lot of piscivorous (fish-eating) fish in the lake, so walleye may put a strain on the food supply of other larger predators. Since they tend to live in shallow waters and have a cooler water preference than bass, they will no doubt have a large impact on other fish that cruise the shallows in late winter and early spring.

Also, when walleye spawn sooner than fish like bass, their juveniles may also be cropping down food supplies before the offspring of later-spawning fish have a chance to eat and grow.

These are just some of the things that could happen when people decide to illegally plant fish. The Columbia Basin is only 2-3 hours away for most folks in metro areas that want to catch walleye. The selfish actions of a few may help decimate already healthy fisheries like Lake Washington.

Chris

IP Logged

TeamEagle
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/30/05 at 23:14:02
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Sarge,

I find this very interesting and I agree with you on this. I'll be sure to check out the next issue of Fishing and Hunting news.

Carlos

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/05 at 00:13:32
Quote Print Post  
Carlos,

A couple of things I forgot to mention above. We have done aging and diet content work on the fish. It was 2, almost 3, years old. It also had nothing in its stomach... just and FYI.

Chris

IP Logged

grubber
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/31/05 at 00:21:10
Quote Print Post  
bare hook? ...bait don't get no cheaper than that! 8)

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/31/05 at 06:27:34
Quote Print Post  
I was told more than 5 years ago that there were Walleyes in Lk. Washington. I won't say who told me that. But it reminds me, the 'bait monkey' needs a fix!

I wonder how those Walleyes got younger? I need some o' that! 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/31/05 at 17:15:04
Quote Print Post  
Carlos,

As a paid member you should have access to the "Members Only" forum. The problem is that the two guys that were updating things like this haven't had the time to keep up with it. We are looking to find someone or some company that can do it for us. Hopefully we can figure it out to keep the site and it's messages current.

IP Logged

TeamEagle
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/31/05 at 17:51:08
Quote Print Post  
Oh okay I searched and searched for that forum and ended up just figuring it was just for board members only. I was also wondering how you got the WBC Member thing right by your picture and posts I just didn't know who to ask. I'm a paid member as of the 17th of March. Thanks again Rob.

Carlos

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/31/05 at 19:04:04
Quote Print Post  
Thats part of updating the site like I was saying. It just shows the differnece between members and people just registered into this site. Mine says board member cause I am on the board. I have access to a "board only" forum that other paid members don't. Those little updates are what I was talking about.

IP Logged

TeamEagle
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/31/05 at 19:17:31
Quote Print Post  
Right on  Grin. I just want to know how to become a 5 *****Star General like you guys  Roll Eyes.   Thanks I'll see ya'll Sat.

Carlos

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/31/05 at 22:21:20
Quote Print Post  
I think that transforms on it's own as you get the right amount of posts required. Like when you get 100, it will automatically change your status to a Junior Member. There is a FAQ'a post in the Website Update forum towards the top. It explains all this.

IP Logged

TeamEagle
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/31/05 at 22:26:58
Quote Print Post  
I knew that I was just messing with ya.

Carlos

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo