Normal Topic Barometric pressure and bass fishing (Read 2596 times)
Dipsnort
Ex Member

Barometric pressure and bass fishing
03/23/05 at 19:33:47
Quote Print Post  
I've always heard that barometric pressure has a direct influence on the feeding patterns of bass.  I know that some can cite instances when they either did really well or poorly on the lake, checked the barometer to see what it was doing, and then attributed their success (or lack thereof) to the barometer.

As far as I know it's an "old wives tale".

Can someone point to scientific evidence on this issue?  I'm really curious whether there indeed IS a noticeable influence. ???

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Barometric pressure and bass fishing
Reply #1 - 03/23/05 at 21:48:01
Quote Print Post  
The drop in pressure indicates a front moving in. Bass will usually start feeding as if it is to hold them over through the storm. After several days when the pressure has been stable for awhile, they may go back to feeding. As the fronts move out and high pressure moves back in, they can shut off while the pressure is rising. Once it stables back out, they'll feed again.

The drop before a front starts feeding because it is suspected that they are expecting bad weather and they feed like mentioned above. It is speculated that when the pressure is actually shifting, it may have affects on the pressures in the fish's air bladder, and this causes them to hold tight to cover and be lathargic until they balance out so to speak. It would make sense. It would be like having bad gas and not wanting to eat until the Tums kicked in.

This is the most sense I can make of barametric pressure from what I have read. Pros and icthyologists (fish scientist dudes) know pressure affects fish, but they aren't exactly sure how.

Last year at the Jck and Jill a front was moving in that we didn't even know about (clear blue skies). There were several good sacks of fish brought in. the next day we awoke to thundershowers and some light rain (low pressure front). The fishing was considerably tougher that day even though it was only one day later and water temps were the same. So....barametric pressure played a role somehow.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/23/05 at 21:57:29
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, Rob.  That's good information! Smiley

Quote:
It would make sense. It would be like having bad gas and not wanting to eat until the Tums kicked in.

The obvious answer to catching bass during that time would be to use Tums as bait then, eh?  Would Rolaids work too?  How about dipping a tablet in Pepto Bismol for scent? Grin

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/23/05 at 22:10:54
Quote Print Post  
Now you know what the stuff is they sell to put in the tubes to make them bubble.

PLOP...PLOP...FIZZ...FIZZZ

Rich

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/24/05 at 03:58:21
Quote Print Post  
Pretty much what Rob said has been my experience. If you see the sky is darkening to the SW, you'll notice that the birds are flying about like mad, gathering bugs or seeds or whatever their food source is. Birds are a good indicator, because their metabolism is very high. If they miss a couple of meals, they will have trouble flying to get the groceries they need.  You may see other animals out foraging, too. Hogs at the trough, big lineups at the driveup windows, etc.  Fish are doing the same.

If you're on the lake, and the storm is comin', best be throwing something pretty big and horizontal, covering a lot of water. You'll note that when the birds stop flying, the storm has arrived. The fish may or may not stop biting, but I do think there will be a change in the aggressiveness and the bait should change. I've not had much luck fishing in the rain. You may notice that here, when it's raining, it's usually cold. In other parts of the country, a summer rain may be a good thing. I haven't a great desire to fish in the rain, but when I have, it wasn't good.

While I have had good results fishing as a storm approaches, the timing has been difficult, what with taking some time to get hooked up and ready to go, drive to the lake, get launched, etc. While the TeeVee shows seem to think high pressure is bad, I have not found that to always be the case. High pressure cells come in here and can stick for weeks, deflecting storms away. Stable weather is good, so strong high presssure cells are good, but you then have to fish early/late, or night, and targeting SM is a better bet. In my experience.
C&R, Steve

PS: Dipsport (sic), I saw you at the meeting, but was in middle of counting out $. Wanted to say "Howdy", but $ gets my undivided attention, ya know. So, a belated "Howdy Do". Don't be such a stranger.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/24/05 at 04:20:53
Quote Print Post  
Hey Dip,

Good post. You know in this state I haven't found that a change in weather really effects the bite right before a front. It does in the south, its like a dinner bell has gone off. You can absolutely load the boat when a front is just coming in and immediately after. Here it just shuts them down as we just saw at the Silver tourney. Now most of that depends on temp changes, how warm or cold it gets, if warming then it is better if colder, you might as well go watch a football game and sit in the easy chair. Thats my two cents.
Russ

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/24/05 at 18:26:05
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, guys.  I'm going to make an effort to time my bass fishing with weather patterns and changing barometric pressure.  For those of us who are happy when we actually catch one (even a dink), the last thing we want to do is go fishing when the fish are put off.  We could always be doing something more productive, like mowing the lawn. Roll Eyes

Quote:
PS: Dipsport (sic), I saw you at the meeting, but was in middle of counting out $. Wanted to say "Howdy", but $ gets my undivided attention, ya know. So, a belated "Howdy Do". Don't be such a stranger.

Howdy do to you too, Steve.  I saw you there too, but I was caught up in looking for bargains.  Got one too - a Mitchell baitcast reel for $5 that, after cleanup, performs better than my other baitcast reel that I bought new. Grin

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/31/05 at 02:52:30
Quote Print Post  
Big mistake - trying to always fish under favorable conditions.  Why?  Because every club tournament (and every other one too) is planned long before the weather man is ever consulted.  A guy who has no "Tough weather" condition experience is going to be severely handicapped.  Fact is, good weather/bad weather - someone is going to catch some fish and it's bound to be the guy who has fished those conditions before and made the right adjustments.  Besides, you'll learn more fishing the tough days than the days when they're jumping in the boat.

Not only that - fishing is a game of the mind.  If you set your sights and goals appropriately for the weather conditions, a single fish during the day can scream VICTORY when the fish are turned down!  The rules have simply changed is all, so learn to enjoy the new version of the game!  Just because you choose to play 7-card Stud, which plays by a different set of rules than Texas Holdum, doesn't mean you aren't playing poker!  Like wise, bass angling has seasonal rules, as well as weather versions of the game.  Learn to adapt!

Don't give up the joy of fishing just because the barometric pressure changes the rules!  [u]WE ARE THE MIGHTY FISHERMAN![/u]  Why should the weather dictate ANYTHING to us!  Are we weaker than the mailperson who does their thing in rain, snow, hail... etc.?  NO!  (Patriotic music here)  We are Western Bass Anglers!!!  And here in Washington we will prevail against high pressure, low pressure and pressure from our wives!!!  Oops.  Gotta go - wife's coming!

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/31/05 at 03:35:40
Quote Print Post  
Thank you Mrs. Rev for getting him off his "soap box"!  LOL

This guy would make a great coach or a PREACHER

But I see the light  or is that just the gleam in his eye.

Boy, talking about fire and brimstone....can almost smell the sulphur.

Rich

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo