Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lake Wa. (Read 5311 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Lake Wa.
03/12/05 at 00:36:35
Quote Print Post  
I managed to escape the confines of the Hospital and headed out to lake Washington yesterday.

Got out there around 2pm and fished the 520 bridge with no luck. Droped the camera down seen one lonely fish around the 15-20 ft range. water temp 52 at that depth. then around 4pm went over to webster point and took a look with the camera and seen several fish around the same range. threw out a dropshot and after about 20 casts finally got a bite but got to excited and set to early. couldn't get him back on for nothing. Dropped the camera back down and searched for about a half hour and didn't see a thing. Suspect they went deep.

Would like to get the boat back out this weekend but I don't think it will happen.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Re: Lake Wa.
Reply #1 - 03/16/05 at 04:51:47
Quote Print Post  
I spent Monday out there, caught three - one went 5# 5oz.  Two were caught in 20 feet of water and one was in 8 feet.  While all three came on crankbaits - I threw everything I had!  But they are definitely scattered all over!  Phil and his boys were out there and had caught only one as of 10:00 in the morning.  So things were slow.  I saw many on the camera - but couldn't get them to bite.  Typical this time of the year - but it's going to pick up soon!  Hang in there!  Glad you got out!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/20/05 at 22:00:41
Quote Print Post  
So where were you guys on Saturday?  I went out to the lake about noon, expecting to see a lot of bass boats already out there from the club... but I saw zipo!  (I can't believe you would let a little rain stop you from enjoying our sport!)

Too bad, because the fish were more active than normal.  By 5:00 I had 11 fish in the boat, and lost two more. All thirteen (but one) came in 20 feet of water.  (That one was caught in 12 feet.)  ALL WERE CAUGHT ON CRANKBAITS.

With the sun not out, I figured the fish would be hanging out in the deeper water close to the shallow flats.  But there was so much water to cover, so I decided to try trolling.  (No - no Rev rig today!)

I cast out a Rapala Shad Rap which will normally run 8-9 feet when retrieved by hand.  But when you troll it - and troll it fast - (a 6 on my trolling motor's 10 scale) it will descend to 17-18 feet (which is perfect if you are following the 19- 21 foot contour.)  I go fast because I don't want the fish to have much time to think about it - I want a reaction strike.  

I picked this depth because it is where the weeds meet the sandy bottom.  It makes for a good highway for fish to follow - and these fish are on the move this time of year.  I followed shore lines, flats, (wherever the 20 foot mark took me) and even caught one trolling under the bridge.  

Half of them came from fishing the east channel.  From the East side of I-90 bridge I headed south, past the Newport Marina, around the corner of the point, to the big flat.  I made two passes and caught fish going both ways in 6 different places - all spread out, (and in places I normally have never caught fish.  Sooner or later most of them are going to head into the Newport canals, but for now they're just hanging out nearby.  

Several other fish came from the North end of the lumber company where the big mud flats start curving back to the shore.   One came from the flat at Coleman Point.

Now I know you can't troll in B.A.S.S. tournaments, but if you're just out for fun, or you have your kids with you, or if you're seeking new water, trolling can be productive.  And if you can locate a few fish trolling, you can always come back and fish the area more thoroughly with plastics.

The largest was 4# 13 oz, and the next one was 4# 4oz.  Several 3's, mostly 2's, and one dink one pounder.  Overall, the day was cold but fun.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/21/05 at 06:02:30
Quote Print Post  
I guess some were at the Silver Lake Open.  Roll Eyes I had to be in Ballard about 4pm, so went to the Outdoor Emporium Bass Clinic from 11am > 3pm. Won a $130 G.Loomis spinning rod in the raffle, but turned it into a CBR 841 before I left. It was tough work, but somebody had to do it.  I was  perfectly happy not to be out on Lk. WA in the rain that was coming down around 3:30pm.  Tongue
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/05 at 03:04:34
Quote Print Post  
This Monday I went out with just one thing in mind - to experiment with my pre-spawn trolling technique.  The conditions were windy, and wet (rained alot).  But I fished only one depth - 20 feet, and drug the Rapala Shad Rap across flats and along contour lines.  I caught 10 smallies, lost two others.  Four were 4lbs+, three were 3lbs+, and the rest were 2lbs+.  The largest got away at the boat, but the next in line was 4#6oz. 

One thing I did note was that wherever I caught one, subsequent passes caught at least one more.  In other words they are sticking close together.  On one flat I took 5 passes and caught four fish.  Something to play with...

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/05 at 03:42:04
Quote Print Post  
By golly I think you have got a good little thing going there Rev.  Except the wind and rain part.  But I guess you have to get it when you can.

Good job.  What size Rapala were you using?  I would think a perch color plug.

Rich

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/02/05 at 05:18:30
Quote Print Post  
As far as color - I was using shad.  But as fast as I am trolling - I don't think color is that important.  Certainly the perch color is a great one on Lake Washington, but speed is a bigger factor - I just don't want to give them too much time to look at it.  (I think it was a size 7?)

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/02/05 at 07:16:48
Quote Print Post  
I must be doing something wrong.  I think I need to try that old Trout technique called Trolling. 
I hate to say it, but I'm still bassless for the year, can u believe that  ???

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/02/05 at 09:19:12
Quote Print Post  
You're not the only one Chris. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/02/05 at 17:20:51
Quote Print Post  
I am close behind ya folks! since Feb!

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/20/05 at 22:34:32
Quote Print Post  
Hit Washington today and got one for 2.8 lbs on a crank in 16 ft of water.  Forgot to bring the camera, So I wasn't able to look for fish holding on anything.  Beautiful day out there.  I wish I had more time to fish.  Good luck to all in Silver Lake draw.  Everyone will be fishing for 2nd behind me Grin

Mark

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/21/05 at 02:40:38
Quote Print Post  
Mark, where were you out there?  I was out there too but I didn't see you.  It was beautiful day, but the fish were tight lipped.  I managed to squeeze out 4, all between 3 to 4 lbs, but I worked my tail off to get them.  3 came in 20 feet on cranks and the other was on a drop shot in the canals in 8 feet.  (56.4 degrees in there). Another day of consistent weather, and things ought to get really good out there.

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/26/05 at 06:20:40
Quote Print Post  
I'm timid to post after the Silver Lake report....wow! Nevertheless, I spent Thursday and part of Friday prefishing for the Federation Qualifier with my Dad. Covered a ton of water and only caught 3 fish, all were nice though, 4, 4-2, and a 4-10...my biggest smallmouth to date. Two on jerkbaits, and the big girl took a dropshotted tiny brushhog. Looks like my Dad might be having back surgery, so I'm trying to find another boater for the Qualifier. If I get to fish, I'll post. Should be a great learning experience for me. On a side note, congratulations are in order to T. Steffenson who landed a 15+ pound spring chinook on a splitshotted lizard during the NW Bass tourney on Scapoose Bay last weekend. Way to go Terry! Unfortunately, Sarge and TS were disqualified when they tried to include that fish with their stringer Roll Eyes See you guys soon.

Tight Lines,
Danny

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/26/05 at 16:08:32
Quote Print Post  
Where is Scapoose Bay? Is that off the Mighty Columbia somewhere?

IP Logged

dgarrett
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/26/05 at 23:19:34
Quote Print Post  
Rob,

Yeah, Scappoose Bay is right off the Columbia by Mt. St. Helens. Supposedly, there's good largemouth and smallmouth fishing down there. Never fished it myself. Chris S. and Terry S. fished it last weekend and caught a nice limit of smallies. Took 19 pounds to win the tourney I believe, with a big largemouth kicker over 5. But that doesn't impress you, you're used to catching 8-9 pounders during tournaments, right?  Wink Awesome fish by the way!

Danny

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo