Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Silver Lake Fish-In (Read 5690 times)
TeamEagle
Ex Member

Silver Lake Fish-In
02/21/05 at 17:12:49
Quote Print Post  
First, I would like to say the meeting last week was great! Lot's of good info and sound's like a fun group of guy's to fish with. I am very interested in joining the club and going to the next fish-in. I have a few questions reguarding the next trip. How far is the drive from Tacoma. What should I bring as far as bait's (seriously). And can I pay membership fee's and amBASSador paperwork there? I havn't been to Silver Lake before but I've heard it is nice. By the way it turns out after going thru the web site I was at the Fish-in last year April 17th I think, at Morton lake. I remember seeing you guy's there.

Carlos

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: Silver Lake Fish-In
Reply #1 - 02/21/05 at 19:16:05
Quote Print Post  
Carlos,

Cranks,spinnerbaits,jigs,senko's. The bite will probably be tough. If weather warms, watch out. Bass will move up and be aggressive.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/21/05 at 20:58:20
Quote Print Post  
Yes Carlos...you can pay membership there and I will make sure there are some forms availiable......I like Senko...jigs and spinnerbaits too!

Lots of Brush hogs and baby hogs too!

IP Logged

TeamEagle
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/05 at 21:55:19
Quote Print Post  
Alright, alright, alright! I'm getting pretty antcy just thinking about it. I will be there most likely with my brother. I figure if I leave now I'll make it for breakfast! Thanks for the heads up on the what to have as well.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/05 at 15:39:53
Quote Print Post  
I don't think it should take you longer than 2 hours to get there. Yes I will have the Ambassador Questionnaires there. The baits people are listing are good. Basically your favorite bait to flip or pitch in shallow cover.

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/23/05 at 03:08:13
Quote Print Post  
Smiley Hello everyone - I have a question about 'jiggin 'n piggin': I have jigs in 3/16 and 1/4 oz sizes, plus 'real' pork trailers and the soft plastic trailers. So, my question is......

When tying up a jig 'n pig to flip - is the jig - tied directly to my reel line or should I have a swivel or duo snap on my reel line, then connect the jig to the snap with leader then a barrel swivel or WHAT??? 
    As I said before, I need help learnin' this all,
thank you, B.W.

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/23/05 at 04:07:27
Quote Print Post  
With the exception of crankbaits and maybe on a rare instance a spinnerbait, I always ty my line directly to the lure/hook.  I recommend using the "real" pork trailers in the cold weather as a side note.

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/23/05 at 04:50:11
Quote Print Post  
BW, I would definatly tie direct. As far as pork V.S. Plastic, I perfer pork while the weather is cool, but as soon as it warms up I usally switch up to plastic. The jig weights sound fine, just keep in mind that most folk who do well on jigs modify them to there taste. Wink

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/23/05 at 04:56:51
Quote Print Post  
Brian - how do people 'modify' the jigs to their taste?
Thank you, B.W.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/23/05 at 16:01:36
Quote Print Post  
They just keep tasting them and adding scents till they taste "right".   

OH, THE DRUGS...THE DRUGS.  Help me Mr. Wizard...I am melting...melting...melt....

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/24/05 at 00:25:25
Quote Print Post  
Smiley What color and weight jigs & trailer colors do you all recommend....and what about the soft worms....SENKO'S..... in what color...? Which Cranks are best to use - I ask a lot of questions...
          Thank you everyone!

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/24/05 at 01:00:02
Quote Print Post  
Though I will not be in attendance, I would offer the following - Jigs in black and blue, trailer to match.
Any crank in a perch color, preferably a very wide wobble bait seems to work for me here in the early season.  I would leave the soft plastics alone for now.  If any thing a creature bait in a color to match the water, probably a pumpkin color.  Fish the south end of the lake.  Warms earlier.

KH

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/24/05 at 01:10:16
Quote Print Post  
Always listen to what the fish tell ya ??? Sometimes they want the bacon and sometimes they don't. Some want it large and some want it small and sometimes on a drop shot, skipped,flipped and pitched.

Just have to try different things when it comes to a jig.
Russ

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/24/05 at 04:11:23
Quote Print Post  
For you flippers ,

Make sure you are throwing/pitching at least 20lb line.
Russ

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/24/05 at 05:28:52
Quote Print Post  
BW, There are many ways to modify, the most common is by adding more strans to the skirt to bulk up the bait, this slows the fall while giving off a "bigger" signature that helps the bass locate it faster. It's a great early spring tactic. As you learn to fish with the jig, you'll find out what I mean. If you have access to passed issues of bassmasters, bass west,...ect. there is a great weath of info out there. If you don't, corner a couple of the guys at the tackle shop, there loaded with info and are usally willing to share. Brian

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo