Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) So many questions! (Read 5147 times)
Jack
Forum Member

So many questions!
01/17/05 at 00:01:07
Quote Print Post  
Hello all. First off,great website and I'm sure the club is even better. I will find that out at your next meeting. I am very interested in joining what seems to be a fun/semi competitive club. I have so many questions I think I will wait to get answers at the meeting. I have been an avid bass fisherman for a long time and have seen many of you at various lakes(sawyer,sammamish and washington). I will ask one here. A while back my wife says to me she wants to have a baby,my response was,"I want a bass boat" not more than 3 weeks later I come home to a foot stompin' wife and a small Nitro in the driveway! Needless to say we now have a 13 month old little girl!My question is this,My boat is a 16'6" nitro w/ a brand new 90hp. merc(due to a mishap on sammamish last season) is this enough boat to compete with the big boys? Look forward to meeting you all on Thursday.
Jack

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: So many questions!
Reply #1 - 01/17/05 at 00:23:03
Quote Print Post  
Jack,

No problem. A 90 HP is just fine for our club. Look at it this way, your engine size is right in the middle of the pack. Some of us have a lot smaller and some have a lot larger. My first bass boat had a 70 Yamaha on it and it worked great for my  needs at the time.

If you fish most of the club stuff you will be fine. It mostly depends on how you drive your boat. If speed is not an issue then your 90 will work great. Some people are uncomfortable doing 70+, while others love it.

Russ

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/17/05 at 00:51:48
Quote Print Post  
Jack,  come on down.  We will be glad to answer any questions you got.

Now as to the boat.  I have a 16' skeeter with a 50 Yamaha on it.  Yes the "big boys" scoot right past me. Angry  I usually just figure the dummies have past up all the good spots that I get to fish.  And for the most part get to the other end a few minutes faster, but unless you are going to want to run 50 or 60 miles up the lake and do it fast then yours will also work fine.  Mine only does about 30 so you will still be able to pass someone.  ME! Angry (Wish I had a 90)

We don't have too many of the "big" waters like down south where you have to run a 100 mile to get to the "secret" spot.  The main thing about speed is that it allows you to fish an area for a little longer before you have to head back for the weigh-in. Sad

Rich

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/17/05 at 01:04:53
Quote Print Post  
Welcome! I too like Rich had a smaller horsepower than most and my Tracker with a 40 hp merc. did just fine with this group! Matter of fact they might hope for you to get a bigger one since you will be catching all the close up fish!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #4 - 01/17/05 at 01:42:18
Quote Print Post  
Welcome aboard!  Up until a few years ago, I had 17' 8" aluminum witha 70hp Yamaha, and I fished a tournament with "the big boys" (150+ boats).  Ya, they screamed by me and made me eat wake, but I still took 2nd place.   Grin

Point is, it's not the size of your equipment that counts, it's how you use it that matters.

...or at least that's what my wife tells me!

IP Logged

Jack
Forum Member

Reply #5 - 01/17/05 at 03:47:31
Quote Print Post  
Thanks everyone,I look forward to the meeting.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/17/05 at 06:29:47
Quote Print Post  
Hey Jack,
Just remember this about havingn a slower boat. I look at it as it's going to teach me to find the more productive water close to the launch and the better water quicker. Since you can't go 70+ you have to find good water and stick to. I am a proud owner of Tracker with a 60hp evenrude. Good luck fishin and welcome.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/18/05 at 19:53:28
Quote Print Post  
I'm a glass half full guy, but there is one negative that I didn't like about my 17.5 Nitro. I had a 150 so it was plenty fast. The problem was this... We all know the wind can get going especially in Eastern WA. I would rather have the bigger boat for the 3-4 waves I encountered on Potholes once. Other than that, it was great. The boat doesn't catch the fish.

IP Logged

ylfylf
Ex Member

Re: So many questions!/I have a QUESTION?!
Reply #8 - 01/21/05 at 20:21:35
Quote Print Post  
Hi, ALL:
I have a rather 'uninformed' question, but, I'm going to ask it.  I don't have a 'book' or fishing reg's to look anything up IN!
Since, I have been a 'trout/salmon/steelhead/surf-fisherman' up until now, I ask this:
So, are lakes that ARE closed to TROUT, part of the year, OPEN TO B A SS ???????????  Would somebody FIND OUT if I can go to LAKE PATTISON, THURSTON COUNTY, AND FISH FOR   B A S S, WITHOUT fishing for trout, or anything further OFF SEASON??????
Oh, Oh, OH, I would GO  to Lake Pattison in a HEART-BEAT, in fact in HALF  a heart beat.  Anybody else want'a know and will find OUT for me????
I'm anxiously a'waiting an informed reply.
lOVE to FISH,
Jerrie

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/21/05 at 21:12:34
Quote Print Post  
Hi Jerrie,

Unfortunately, the regs say that ALL GAME FISH are closed off-season. The season is the last Saturday in April to October 31. Here is a link to online state regulations:

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp

Enjoy,

Chris

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/21/05 at 23:30:29
Quote Print Post  
If that particular lake is closed.....Not all lakes close.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/22/05 at 00:27:10
Quote Print Post  
Yes Rob, I should have been more clear to say those rules are specific to Pattison under the special rules section.

But like Rob is hinting at Jerrie, if a lake is not listed in the special regulations, it is open year-round to fishing.

Chris

IP Logged

ylfylf
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/22/05 at 09:26:54
Quote Print Post  
HI~
Thank you, Chris, and Rob.  I just didn't think of a Website for Reg's, nor would I have known to look at 'Special' reg's, which of course,  I realize must be important.  There are many types/kinds of fishing.  I WILL LEARN about BASS,
and all of you are so helpful.
I have a 'story' to tell, about that FRIEGHT TRAIN, and  Amtrack, TOO, that runs through the 'middle' (technically correct, of cours)... but not tonight.  Bassywoman and I went out on American Lake again, toNIGHT, and didn't get in until about midnight, home even later.  We only got a little daylight fishing in, and got 'skunked' .... Saw one 'ring', and heard that fish jump ... huh.  It's a new lake, for me- must 'get out there in the DAY light.
Anyway, the fish on Pattison don't seem to mind the train-- I got used to it, TOO  Grin.
tHX, again, guys.  Goodnight.
Jerrie

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #13 - 01/22/05 at 16:59:29
Quote Print Post  
Hey Jerrie,
Did Brenda sign you up at the last meeting?

IP Logged

ylfylf
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/22/05 at 18:10:42
Quote Print Post  
Yes, Glenn~, HI,
I thought that would speed things up a bit, from mailing it.  I used 'Bassywoman' (sp?) as I thought most of you would recognize that name.  Brenda and I are neighbors ....  We have gotton to know one another over just about a year ... I took her out: we went together, trout fishing, on Lk. Josephine out on Anderson Island ... we have a joint 'story' to tell of what she tried to 'do' to my first trout caught out of that lake, but, ANother time  Wink.  It has to do with Bass fishing, though, and she asked me if I'd ever fished for Bass, I said, no, but wanted to learn.  She told me about it, and I caught my first Jr. Bass, and 'here we are'~.  She found your club online ... I've got a lot on my plate right now- so, she brought in my paper-work, to get me signed up!  Oh, you're going to have a new guest visit the WEbsite (I know there are lots of guests in general) but, this is a fellow neighbor, young man, that loves to Bass fish but, just doesn't know Washington State, so he hasn't been fishing.  I can tell he loves to Bass fish ... so, I hope he joins up.  I think he just will.  I gave him the Webisite and Logo, and he'll check it out. 
I'd better get going, have loads of homework, paper to write.
Later,
Jerrie (ylfylf)~

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo