Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) NO LARGEMOUTH...OH NO!! (Read 20535 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: NO LARGEMOUTH...OH NO!!
Reply #45 - 02/26/05 at 18:27:14
Quote Print Post  
Glen,

Bill's Motto fits you well, "Here's Your Sign". Wink Wink
RB

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #46 - 02/26/05 at 21:33:53
Quote Print Post  
Naw, the sign belongs on the idiots in Olympia.  They earned it!

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 02/27/05 at 16:37:12
Quote Print Post  
Glen,

Will have to agree with ya on that one. You know slot limits are one thing and have no problems with them but the Banks thing well the State must have there head up their A"". Ever since moving here from the south I have found that these Washington DOW people just don't have a clue. Most agencies have taken what Florida,Texas and California have learned and used it for their programs. But "NO", this state has to monkey it up even more. Totally unconstitutional to tell a licensed fisherman that he can't take a largemouth in a tourney but can take for fun. Well I guess the fry pan is coming out.
RB

IP Logged

REDCHAMP
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 02/28/05 at 06:31:06
Quote Print Post  
As a club we should have a voice in what happens with "OUR" fish in this state. Clubs have a much stronger voice than individuals, isn't that part of the reason we're in a club? How about it board of directors? Use your pull!!!
Has there been any other suggestions made to the WDFW?
1) How about making largemouth catch & release only on these waters.
2) How about a more restrictive slot limit for these waters. ie: Largemouth from 0" - 24" cannot be kept. Can be retained and released alive from a livewell.
This would protect them from all the meat fishermen.
WBC, it's still early in the year. Another "better" suggestion could still be sold to the WDFW if it would benefit all user groups better.
Mark

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 02/28/05 at 07:18:39
Quote Print Post  
I know for a fact that Western Bass Club has let our feeling be known in Olympia.  After numerous conversations with different folks I think the problem is that maybe we are the only club concerned about it.  Apparently there are a number of clubs that are endorsing this program.  Now I don't know if this is true but that is the general concensus from all the folks in Olympia.  They think that this is just Western's pet peeve and they say "no one else" has voiced any opposition or concerns.  Somehow we need to get the word out to other clubs to see if we are in fact the only club with an issue to this sanctions.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 03/09/05 at 06:16:01
Quote Print Post  
Well......the plot thickens.....the folks at Mardons at mardonresort.com have posted the no largemouth ruling on their site and have stated that the Tournament Directors themselves were the ones who ASKED for this blight to be placed on the largemouth at Banks...........hmmmmmm...................will we ever get a straight answer?.......

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 03/09/05 at 06:26:03
Quote Print Post  
I wonder if they were paid for their "endorsement."  I can't believe that they believe that.  It does however help send more LM fisherman their way.  Hummmmm......

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 03/09/05 at 15:50:18
Quote Print Post  
I will give you another twist.  Remember the old saying the "squeaky wheel gets the grease"?  Having been a government employee for the past twenty-two  years has afforded me many opportunities to work with federal, state, and other local agencies, including DFW, WDNR, Corps of Engineers....the list is long.  I have developed relationships with many folks in decision making positions and can tell you this.....This rule, though we have all been told is science based, do not for a second think that is true.  Someone has been chirping about the alleged decline in largemouth population and propogation for many years to someone at a high level.  I recall hearing about this four years ago at a spring tourney at the Tri-cities.  The anglers that targeted smallmouth were upset becaue they lost to largemouth fisherman and that the LM were easier to catch and they should not be allowed to be caught and that the permit should reflect that.  I thought nothing of it, but my point is that there are political winds within our own group of warmwater fishers.  Just another thought over coffee in the morning.  That is how rules get changed.  Knee jerk reactions are the order of the day in Olympia across the board.  What DFW staff does is when they get heat to make a rule change, they figure out a way to justify it to the very folks that pay their wages.  THAT IS HOW IT WORKS!!!  If Western really wants to change how things happen, we better raise our dues and start paying for a lobbyist in Olympia.  If we don't, we need to live with the wacky rules that get put out by the department, which are not based on science (has anyone seen a copy of the study that preceeded the rule change?  Nope..), but political pressure.  Do not be surprised when our tournaments will soon be limited to only certain bodies of water in teh state during the spawn.  That is next.  Maybe we should start having squawfish tournaments....

Kirk

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 03/09/05 at 20:30:05
Quote Print Post  
or massive fish fry's Shocked      Tongue

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 03/14/05 at 23:18:07
Quote Print Post  
OK, my brain hurts from all the stuff....but some little acorn of "reason" has been hammering away at me for over a month and I just realized what it was....

How in the H@## can the Federation back this restriction on Banks for the Jamboree???? THEY ARE THE ONES NOT RELEASING THE FISH PROPERLY - NOT US!!!!!

They take the fish back out in the barge every evening and release them, if they are not putting them back in Largemouth waters, why are we being penalised for their inefficiency??

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 03/14/05 at 23:59:53
Quote Print Post  
One little tidbit that I got from the seminar Sunday was from Gary Morris.  I don't remember just who he is but he said that some of the trade-offs that they (we) got were that Fisheries would be placing "NO WAKE" zones in places where PWC, etc. cause problems with spawning areas such as shallow areas in Banks lake like back in Osbourne Bay and other bays.  Now they just have to come up with the money for Bouys, etc.

Also, that this is a "WAC" regulation year, I guess WAC regs are adopted.  Anyway, if this was put out as a full blown everybody "catch and release" then some politicos might grab onto it and make it a full time "catch and release" fishery for everyone from now on.  And we don't want that since we still want to have some fish taken to help the populations.

Now I know this is kind of a confusing post so if someone knows this Gary Morris you might give him a call and just say that Rich was a "little" confused about this and maybe get the "real" scoop.  When he was talking about this he sounded very sincere that this was the best compromise that we (bass clubs) could get from a bad situation.

Rich (going back to sleep now)

IP Logged

BassingWoman
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 03/15/05 at 00:40:45
Quote Print Post  
So.....was there a letter that memebers were signing or could sign to protest the Banks restriction.......? If there is/was a letter.....I want to add my name on the protest! Is there a meeting in Oly we can go to as a CLUB and GIVE OUR COLLECTIVE VOICE???

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 03/15/05 at 05:20:44
Quote Print Post  
Gary Morris is the current President of the Washington State Federation........2cents

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 03/15/05 at 16:23:27
Quote Print Post  
Everytime I've talked to Gary (twice), and everytime I hear a story from someone who has talked or listened to him, his story changes.  It is my opinion that Gary has become a pawn for some of the birdbrains in Olympia.
For example on the two occasions I talked with him he cited two differant people as being responsible for the information upon which the change in rules was based.  One person was from the F&G office in Euphrata.  The next time we talked at the Monroe show, that person with an entirely different name, was from the Olympia F&G office. Undecided
Compare that story with what he stated happened at the lake drawing meeting in November and you have THREE differant stories.  Now we have the no-wake bouys for water turds (PWC's)surfacing again. 
Do you think the folks who own Sun Banks Resort are going to stand for no wake bouys in Osborne Bay very long?  Hmmm
Something smells fishey, and it is certainly not a LM bass from Banks Lake. Tongue
I would just like to get the straight story and find out what kind of information or study the ban was based on.  Moreover, I would really like to see someone with a warmwater education background put in charge of the warmwater progarm as opposed to a "Slimer" guy.
My .02 cents. Lips Sealed

SMITTY
Wink

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 03/15/05 at 17:05:36
Quote Print Post  
O.K.  I won't vote for Brian for the position.

Smitty, you need to get out and do some fishin' to get rid of that pent up frustration.

COME ON SMITTY YOU CAN LET IT OUT. Shocked

Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo