Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Best bass lake in the state? (Read 3074 times)
RobAllen
Ex Member

Best bass lake in the state?
12/14/04 at 05:45:09
Quote Print Post  
OK, this thread is entirely  for the purpose of encouraging discussion.  I know that everyone has their favorites and that this entire subject is totally subjective, but here it goes anyway. There is no wrong answers it's all about opinions!

What body of water do you believe provides the best bass fishing in the state?  Why?

Based on my very limited personal experience. My vote would be for the Columbia river.

Why?

1. it has an excellent population of bass
2.  It has both large and smallmouth bass
3. there are always some catchable fish
4. it has a great variety of covers and structures
5. opportunity to  fish any method you  wish
6.  excellent opportunities  for large  fish of both species
7. superb access throughout it's length
8.  bank anglers have a ton of quality opportunity
9. very underutilized
10. Lots of great spots have never been discovered

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Best bass lake in the state?
Reply #1 - 12/14/04 at 15:19:06
Quote Print Post  
11. You can tear out your lower unit on a rock bar.
12. The wind can blow you out of your boat.

I agree there are great quantities of fish, and it is underfished with plenty of spots to still find. But the two factors above are the reasons others don't like to fish it, and I think others would agree with me.

My vote would go to Potholes. Not only do they have great black bass populations with good sizes, they have Walleye, and great panfishing. It might not be as "shore angler" friendly, and get every basser in the state, but it still produces year after year.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/14/04 at 16:13:46
Quote Print Post  
I would say.......Lake Roosevelt.....
1).   Sheer numbers of fish
2). still a river system 160 miles long.
3). underutilized also.
I am also a big fan of Banks lake and will always be but Roosevelt is appealing to my explorer side.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/14/04 at 17:09:43
Quote Print Post  
Rob you just like Potholes because you won there. admit it. I also like the potholes. It something you don't get every where else. It has so many different way of fishing it. From rip rap to brush. All within 10 minutes of eachother. Great lake.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/14/04 at 17:41:53
Quote Print Post  
It probably helped that my attitude was better there than anywhere else. It's easier to win when you have a positive attitude, and confidence in a body of water.  Wink

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/14/04 at 17:46:51
Quote Print Post  
The month of May we will see how that attitude is.......

THE SARGE IS HOME AGAIN!! WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!
                   Grin

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/14/04 at 22:03:25
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but let us not forget who won there first in May... LARRY SULLIVAN!

Of course, my two-day weight was pretty dang heavy. Hehehe. I have to stop living in the past. I'll start sounding like Kirk.

Chris

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 12/15/04 at 02:01:32
Quote Print Post  
I personally have no confidence in Potholes.  I took a pretty heavy beating there a couple years ago and have never regained composure.  Oh well, I guess I'll have to show up anyways.  Terry

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/15/04 at 03:10:55
Quote Print Post  
Roosevelt for family-get- a-way-from-it-all fishing trips.  Especially on a house boat.

Duck lake for big bass fishing.

Potholes for meat fishing.

Silver for fishing in the rain.

Columbia as a untapped bass fishery.

Coeur d'Alene area for the most scenic and other activies fishing trip for east of the mountains.

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #9 - 12/15/04 at 03:47:54
Quote Print Post  
Fellow CLUBBERS,
  For those of you who have never fished Scootney, you're misinformed on the best bass fishing lake in the state.  I've fished it in Nov., May and August.  Scootney would put The Ole' Potholes to shame!  It does have both Lg and SM's and you can definitely get both #11 and #12 there also.  Kirk and Liz and Kim and I went there a couple of years ago for Mothers Day, yes Mothers Day, and call Kirk if you dont believe me, between 4 of us we caught 70+ keepers from 2 to 4 pounds.  The club had a May tourney there about 6 or 7 years ago. Terrible weather and the winning weight was still near #20 if I'm not mistaken.  The July J&J tourney was there a couple of years ago and though we had a heatstroke victim, a dozen sunburn victims and an hour lunch break to hide in the shade, FISHING WAS AWESOME!  My vote?  Scootney ( about 45 minutes south of Potholes on Highway 17) Roll Eyes Summers comin'  Hang in there.  Chris and I were talking this weekend.  It's sureeasy to tell when winter sets in at WBC.  We'll find anything to talk about.

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #10 - 12/15/04 at 05:19:32
Quote Print Post  
Potholes, hands down.  Excellent smallie and largie fishing, tons of different structure to suit most any style of fishing, places to hide from the water skiiers.... just all around fun!  In addition, the local facilities are decent, and (Lyle, listen up), nothing to lose your lower unit on.  Shocked (unless you're crazy enough to run between Goose island and the dam)  I also like the fact that the rising/falling water makes it a different lake most every time you fish it.

I used to love Banks, but there's too many dinks and not enough largemouths.  Last year's tournament gave me hope the largies are on the rebound, but until I'm convinced that wasn't a pre-spawn only event, I'm sticking with Potholes.

As for Roosevelt - it's great if you want to get a kid on fish.  There's a million 10-inchers willing to hit a stick if you place it in front of them.  It also has some incredible scenery.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE POTHOLES TOURNY!!!

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/16/04 at 00:21:50
Quote Print Post  
That would be Shasta, Clear Lake- Oh yea this state. Well I agree with Glen for a change-Potholes is Awesome from March to October. I have had days there where I have caught over 50lbs of Largies in one day. Where else in the state can you catch a 20lb + sack in a day. Yea Roosey is awesome at times, and quite beautiful, and Banks has become a dink fest. But hands down Potholes is the best.
RB

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo