Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Something new! (Read 3694 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Something new!
12/09/04 at 18:53:59
Quote Print Post  
Well "Now for something we hope you really like!"
I thought, while watching and reading the Bassmaster Magazine that we could do something they started..........Every angler who wins a tournament this year will get the chance the shine as the Western Bass Club.......
"Day on the Lake With A Winner Series" 

The winning angler will go to a lake that I will pre-select in the area and will have a day to show their stuff and offer commentary and reason and just plain do their best to catch fish!
Weights will be logged for best five fish and lots will be learned by all.
Look for more info to come and get your best hookset ready for the cameras!

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Re: Something new!
Reply #1 - 12/09/04 at 21:44:20
Quote Print Post  
I really like the "Day on the Lake" series.  It really shows that even the "Big Boys" don't catch fish every time they go out.  Especially on new lakes.  It also shows why pre-fishing can be a great help on new lakes.

Rich

P.S.  Larry, you definetley have too much time on your hands.  But a great idea.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/09/04 at 22:12:22
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

I think that sounds like a really great idea. Pretty fun.

Since it is too early to smack talk for the tournament trail, I will speak with a humble tongue. If I am lucky enough to win a WBC event this coming season, let me help you get started on my day-on-the-lake article:

(As written by Larry Sullivan)
7:16 - Chris Sergeant pulls up to Lake X in his 6-cylinder 1996 F150 with a sagging plastic toolbox and over 120K miles. He has no boat. He waits on the shoreline for me to launch my boat so he can load his gear. After paying for my launch, I ask him where to point the trolling motor. He smiles and says, "Where do you like to fish on this lake?" I would offer him the front of the boat, but I am not sure he knows how to use the foot pedal.

7:30 - He starts the day by efficiently tying on a Senko rig in no less than 15 minutes.

"I once caught a two-pounder out of some lily pads with this bait," he says, and proceeds to cast the Senko to a featureless sandy shoreline.

7:32 - He gets a strike on the first cast. After ripping his knuckles on the hookset, he picks his rod up off the deck and finds a fish still attached. After a long fight, he pulls up a 13-inch brown bullhead.

"Mmmmm. A fine Ameiurus nebulosus," he says.

After releasing the catfish, he sees some swirling in the middle of the lake.

"YES!" he screams emphatically.

7:52 - Twenty minutes later he has rigged up a Mepps spinner and asks me to troll quickly through the middle of Lake X.

"I once caught four smallmouth using this very technique."

7:55 - Back to the shoreline. He takes about 13 minutes to eat a bear claw.

8:09 - After finishing the bear claw, he opens up a YooHoo.

"Larry, it is not only important to have good nutrition, but to also stay hydrated when you are in extreme conditions like we have today."

It is the middle of June, the lake is 70 degrees, and air temperatures are ranging into the high 60's.

8:22 - The bite is slow, and Chris decides it is time to look for "the big bite". He ties on a 1 oz. rat-l-back jig with a 6" senko for a trailer.

8:23 - The bait immediately elicits a strike and he sets back hard. A 4-inch largemouth flies over his head and lands on the other side of the boat. After he stops shaking and saying, "That's a good fish, that's a good fish," he measures it on the flatboard to find it is not a keeper.

2:05 - Chris has stubbornly stuck to fishing the jig. I am not sure why. He has not caught a fish today, and he hasn't actually used the front of the boat or a depth finder. With only 25  minutes to go in the day, he asks, "Larry, can I drive the boat, please, please?"

I unwillingly say yes and he starts up the big engine. We do some doughnuts in the middle of the lake and Chris starts to head toward the boat launch.

"There is one bed I saw over here in real shallow water that I want to fish before the day ends."

2:15 - The boat driving skills displayed by Chris are rusty at best. In fact, he is heading toward the bed he spotted earlier a little too fast. WAY TOO FAST!

2:29 - Chris helps me push the front of the boat off the shoreline.

"This reminds me of Banks Lake," he says with a grin.

We get back in the boat and Chris looks down into the water. A huge female largemouth full of eggs is belly up in the water. Chris reaches down and lips the 6 lb. pig.

"And that, Larry, is how a true WBC champion does it."

So there you go, Larry. I expect big things from this program next year!

My apologies to those who didn't expect my post to go this long. I think it is because I have been doing nothing but boring writing lately, and I needed a distraction. Thanks for playing along  Grin

Chris

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/09/04 at 22:24:26
Quote Print Post  
HA HA HA...Chris that was hilarious !! Oh my, that was funny. On a serious note, Larry I think that would be sweet. Are you going to narrate the trip? You could probably do a day with the Angler of the Year also. You might be ablt to find a camera man, and make a video out of it.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/09/04 at 22:46:09
Quote Print Post  
We (Glenn and myself)  had talked about putting video clips on several times and now might be the time....if Santa gets me the camera I want........

DOH!
Guess that slam on Rich earlier took care of that...... Cry

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/10/04 at 00:18:07
Quote Print Post  
Camera I have and would love to help out on this project after I get my other arm back. You failed to mention that was Glen saying the 4" Bass was a good fish, HaHa!! Glen, I love You man!!!
That was a great post Sarge, wow you do have a lot of time on your hands. More power to ya.

I think this is a great idea. Maybe we could all learn something from this idea.
Basspro

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 12/10/04 at 04:26:41
Quote Print Post  
Oh My God Chris! That had me rolling!  Grin Grin

Russ, reread the story - it's Chris saying the 4-incher is a good fish.  But nice try.  Fortunately illiteracy isn't contagious.  Wink

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/10/04 at 19:26:30
Quote Print Post  
What kind of jig where you using? 

kh

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/11/04 at 01:45:08
Quote Print Post  
That was a great read haha, 2 thumbs up Chris

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/11/04 at 02:01:09
Quote Print Post  
I spelled the name wrong, Kirk:  Tongue

http://www.lunkerlure.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=43&osCsid=f4dc369cd...

You should try fishing jigs sometime!

IP Logged

Marc M.
Ex Member

Hey Sarge...
Reply #10 - 03/25/05 at 15:42:03
Quote Print Post  
...thanks for the laugh.  You cracked me up.

ciao,
Marc

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Reply #11 - 03/25/05 at 22:05:18
Quote Print Post  
!#%*#^(!!!!!!!
  WHAT THE BLEEEEEEEP Chris,  you have way too much spare time.  I had to find time to read it!!!!!!  Dude, you crack me up though.  If only you had as much talent at the "butt end" of a fishin' rod!!!!!!!!!!!  You rock Grin

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Weedwalker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/26/05 at 03:30:58
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry, I like your Idea, that could be really great to take some clips then maybe put together some kind of short movie for the end of the year..... just a thought... Grin    And Chris, dude that was great, couldn't stop laughing. 8)  Brian (The Weedwalker)

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo