Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Storing the boat (Read 4522 times)
Rich
Ex Member

Storing the boat
11/20/04 at 02:28:05
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys,  what do you do for storing a boat outside?

I plan on having the trailoring cover on it and then a blue tarp over the whole thing.

What have you found to be good to keep out the mold and mildew, etc.  I won't be able to put anything electrical like a small lite in it.

Make your thoughts be known.

Thanks, Rich

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Storing the boat
Reply #1 - 11/20/04 at 02:31:28
Quote Print Post  
Rich there is a small inexpensive battery operated air dehydrator you can get plus several bowls or disposable pie tins of kitty litter will help too....the dehydrators are availiable at rv stores...I will be looking at them this year as my brother uses them for his airplane.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/22/04 at 16:58:03
Quote Print Post  
One thing that happened to my old boat when I kept it outside was having mice get in it. This probably happens all year long, but good time to bring it up. They chew the wires in your boat up. I noticed they were there when I found a bag of sunflower seeds eatin up and some holes chewed in a sweatshirt. Some mouse traps I guess would work. I never caught any, and they just disappeared after awhile.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 11/22/04 at 18:58:49
Quote Print Post  
Good point Rob.  Although I never had that problem with my aluminum boat, it is a fairly common issue.

When I stored my tin boat outside, my problem was moisture in the storage compartments.  Despite using a waterproof tarp, my compartments were mold factories.  This was because my compartments were not waterproof at all.

To remedy this, I used small blocks of wood to prop open all the compartments during storage.  This virually eliminated the problem.  Of course, that leaves your stuff vulnerable to theives, so I really, REALLY bundled up the boat in that tarp!  I used rope and multiple bungee cords.  It was the equivalent of a combination lock because you had to figure out how to undo everything.

Of course, you need prop up the tarp accordingly so water/snow/ice doesn't accumulate anywhere.

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/23/04 at 06:14:15
Quote Print Post  
Yeah I have that problem with my Tinner! So I just took my limited abundance of tackle out. I just cart from my basement to my boat when I go out it's easy since I can store it in or of those cloth tackle bags!

IP Logged

JohnKTKim
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/23/04 at 20:37:16
Quote Print Post  
I heard that peppermint oil works well for rodents. Smiley

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/24/04 at 02:39:41
Quote Print Post  
Hhhmmm.....do you saute them in it or just baste them over the coals?

Thankis for the info guys.  I think I will look into that battery powered dehumidifier and the kitty kitter idea.

Rich

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/24/04 at 03:37:48
Quote Print Post  
Oh....and Rich.....those are not Almond Roca's in that kitty litter!

Tongue

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/24/04 at 03:56:34
Quote Print Post  
PHATOOIE......  whatcho talkin bout Willis?

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/01/04 at 02:15:06
Quote Print Post  
Driz-air makes dehumidifiers that are not powered, you just pour in a bag of crystals and then empty out the water once in a while.

Try Home Depot...

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/09/04 at 16:44:13
Quote Print Post  
Has anyone done the "shrink-wrap" process?  There is a place in Sumner that does it for about $160 I think.  Might be something to look into for next year.

Rich

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/09/04 at 18:15:39
Quote Print Post  
Dieharders don't shrink-wrap their boats for the winter. Unless I guess you live somewhere where everything freezes over. Then you tow it onto the frozen lake, drill a hole, and fish through the ice from your boat.... Wink

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/09/04 at 18:27:54
Quote Print Post  
WIMPS.....
Did the guys who started this club worry bout rain....rats....or mold?
NO!
Of course their boat did not run into the 30-40 thousand dollar range but they worried not about these triffles.
My point is....well I have no point but just to say........put a heater on the boat...the rats are getting cold! Grin

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #13 - 12/09/04 at 18:56:23
Quote Print Post  
Guys... I think Rich wants answers, not ridicule.

Rich, personally I haven't shrinkwrapped, and don't know anybody who does.  But, I've heard of people doing it in harsh climates.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/09/04 at 19:08:15
Quote Print Post  
There is a boat down the street from the high school that has that done. It looks pretty cool, like new boats do when they are shipped. probably works really good.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo