Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Truck advice? (Read 4400 times)
StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Truck advice?
11/04/04 at 05:35:43
Quote Print Post  
OK, I hope this is an OK topic and that it doesn't start a brand battle, but I'd like to ask your advice on trucks for pullling a boat.

I might (I repeat might) be in the market sometime in the next 6 months to buy a used truck that  I would intend to use for carrying a camper and pulling a boat. (The boat will probably not come until early 2006.) I would probably not have more than $10,000 to spend on the truck.

I am guessing that I would need a 3/4 ton and I would want an extended cab (for the family) or a crew cab, and would prefer a full size bed. I've heard that you can find big blocks for a decent price if you are willing to put up with the low gas milage. I would not use the truck for commuting or running around town, only hauling, camping and pulling a boat.

I am far from an expert on trucks, and you guys pull boats with them all/ most of the year. I'd appreciate any opinions/tips you are willing to throw out for me.

Ex-Prez, I've read your post about your Suburban, but I think it'll be long gone before I have the money and I'd really like to get a truck with a bed.

Thanks!
Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Truck advice?
Reply #1 - 11/04/04 at 05:53:47
Quote Print Post  
Hey Stu,

Ya, no doubt about it, but you are going to start a brand war!!!  Grin

For the options you are looking for, you should be able to find a nice F250 in the 1995-1998 range with 50-80K miles on it. There are still some steals out there if you find a guy who hasn't driven his truck too much. Look for one without a tow package. Those are the cherry ones because they haven't towed anything!

Chris

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/04/04 at 07:09:13
Quote Print Post  
You should be able to get a 2500/F250 1990-2000 Dodge, Ford or Chevy in that price range, give or take $5000. I would also consider a diesel for the gas mileage. However, with a diesel, maintenance costs will be higher. But, usually the diesel will out last a gas engine. Diesels will also have better pulling power. Brand is personal preference.  I have heard good things about the Chevy DuraMax and the Dodge Cummins.

Here at Fedex, all of our diesels are the same engine as the Dodge trucks. The newer ones are very quiet but that is the 2004 models.

We have had very few problems with regular maintenance.

The Ford Power stroke in the years that you are looking will be the first years out. So expect some issues. Also, I think the DuraMax came out around then also.

As for Ford trucks they have no turning radius especially on the club cab with the 8ft bed,

Chevy’s are better but personally don't like the styling. The newer trucks do look better and are better laid out in the cab. But still not a big fan.

Dodge is obviously the truck of choice for me, even with the 5.8L gas engine I have not had any problem towing.
In addition, it has a far better turning radius than Ford. Also, consider 4x4, you don't need it all the time but it is sure handy in a pinch. I have never had any problem launching my boat at any launch. The 5.8L gas motor sucks the gas, but it sure is a workhorse.

Just my two cents

Oh and another thing check the value of any truck before you go talk to anyone at www.kbb.com that's the Kelly Blue book site you can get values on trade-ins, retail, and personal sale.

Good luck shopping

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 11/04/04 at 15:45:23
Quote Print Post  
All good advice - 'cept I would get a pickup with a tow package since it comes with heavy duty suspension and oil/transmission coolers plus the wiring is already done.  Some have beefier brakes too.

Personally, I love my '99 F250 crew cab w/8' bed.  The V10 is certainly powerful and the 4-wheel disc brakes gives me comfort knowing I have extra contol for those panic stops while towing.  Turning radious hasn't been a problem.  In fact, I never thought about it until Jim mentioned it.

That said, my next truck definitely will be a 4x4, and I'll probably get a diesel.  Those '99 and newer diesel Fords have a beefier tranny that's worked so well, Ford switched all it's trucks to it for the 2005 models.  Plus I haven't heard of any issues with the power strokes.

Again, just my opinion.  I can't speak about chevy's or dodges because I've never owned one.  I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations.  All good information to consider.

IP Logged

Chris B
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/05/04 at 05:32:53
Quote Print Post  
Major problems with the newer 6.0 liter Powerstrokes is oil leaks.  I've seen cracks in the blocks, and just oil leaks in general.  I've done maintence work on a few with 10k miles or less and its like an oil slick under that engine.  Still shouldn't shy you away from Ford, they are good trucks. Good thing about the 6.0 is its very quiet, I thought my ears were plugged up after starting my first one after years of the 7.3.

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #5 - 11/05/04 at 05:38:03
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys for your advice!

Anyone else who wants to add on, please do.

Anyone have any advice to add specifically about campers and what is best/needed?

Thanks,
Stu

IP Logged

Andrea L
WBC Member

Reply #6 - 11/05/04 at 19:15:11
Quote Print Post  
Hi Stu,

From our experience in bringing the family along to the events,  the crew cab on our Chevy 2500HD has been awesome -- tons more room than the extended cab on our Chevy 1500.  Comfort & reliability is a huge when bringing the kids along (especially on the 6+ hour trek to Banks Lake).  The Duramax Diesel with Allison trans. has awesome power and great fuel mileage with or without the camper & boat, but as you've seen in other posts there's lots of great makes & models out there. (I grew up in a Ford family and married a Chevy one!) 

A 3/4 ton or better is probably best if you're going to be putting a camper on, our 1500 did OK but we had it beefed up a bit when we ordered it.  Our 2500HD hauls it much more easily, and we also added the air shocks to the back end for even more stability.  Our camper is a "light" series (2000 Fleetwood Angler 8C) and has been fine for our family of 4.  After doing the tourney thing now for 4 years with a family my recommended features that are sometimes optional are bathroom, air-conditioner, heater, no front window, and the very important automatic/power jacks.  Spend time looking at all the different brands, features and floorplans--there's lots of good models out there. (If you want to dream a little -- check out the Big Foot camper)

Now for the recommended boat . . . just kidding . . . we all know what the best boat is . . . Grin

Looking forward to seeing your family at the events.

Andrea       

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #7 - 11/05/04 at 20:31:49
Quote Print Post  
Andrea,
I always thought that the best boat is the one that you can be in fishing at the time. Grin  Of course it has to be able to get you back and forth from the fishing hole and be able to retain it's lower unit.   Roll EyesHmmmm?

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/05/04 at 21:38:29
Quote Print Post  
Now we're getting into best drivers....

My dad's Chevy 1500 did alright with the camper and SKEETER behind it. Slower up the passes. Right on with what Andrea said. The 2500 is probably much better.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/05/04 at 23:48:27
Quote Print Post  
Stu...I currently have a F-150 and I have been fine with it and even at times have towed other vehicles and their boats at tournaments after break downs....but now that I have been looking at campers....I definitley see where an F-250 would have been the better choice.....as it can handle the weight and power for the new load.
Now that I am almost paid for I have to look at a pop-up camper....which is fine but still limits abilities.
Something to ponder.
Larry.

IP Logged

Andrea L
WBC Member

Reply #10 - 11/06/04 at 00:37:57
Quote Print Post  
Smitty,

I agree completely  Smiley

Let's see here -- hummm . . .
New 2004 ZX225 Skeeter $40,000. +

New lower unit for 6 week old 2004 Skeeter $3000.+

Overnight shipping to get lower unit by next day so not to miss the Jamboree $250. +

Husband learning a lesson in total humility PRICELESS

Being able to quiz husband about which side of a green buoy to run on PRICELESS

Having a husband that can take the ribbing PRICELESS

May you all have safe travels up the Snake  Wink

Andrea

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/06/04 at 03:06:25
Quote Print Post  
Hey Stu, don't be affraid to check out the dodges. Esspecially in the year your looking at. And the price. I know a guy who's had his for ten years without any major problems. He tows a camper and a 24' trophy with it without a problem. He has 3/4 ton though. They get good gas mileage to. He says 17mi without the boat.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/06/04 at 04:12:16
Quote Print Post  
Nice, Andrea! That was pretty funny!  Grin

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #13 - 11/08/04 at 06:13:51
Quote Print Post  
Thanks, everyone! I'll let you know if/when I come up with the money (and then I'll ask you if you know anybody who is selling...).

Andrea, I appreciate your family-related advice!

Thanks,
Stu

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #14 - 11/17/04 at 05:48:25
Quote Print Post  
Well, I know I implied that I was done asking until I got some money together, but I am reading more and talking to more people and now I have more questions that I would like your opinions on...

On paper, I am getting more interested in the Chevy and Dodge 2500s, and am now researching the diesels about equal to the gas. (I'll get out and drive some actual trucks over the next few weekends, too).

Here are my new questions:

1. Gas or diesel? It seems like most people in the club have gas. I know Wolsky has that big a-- diesel, but he's out working the marshes during duck season, so I can't ask him. I've read up on the pro's and con's on-line, but has anyone had any real problems from one or the other?

2. Manual or automatic transsmissions? It seems like it could be a lot of work shifting a Ram diesel all, day, but are there strong advantages?

3. Has anyone heard anything solid on the trannies for the Dodge and Chevy? The Allisons are supposed to be awesome on the Chevys, but back in 1999 or 2000, I think they were not the norm? And on the Dodges, I was on a web site board last night for 5th wheel owners, and many of them were saying that the Dodges transmissions were not very good(?).

Thanks for keeping me informed!

Stu

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo