Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) How bout a "Chum-In? (Read 4860 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

How bout a "Chum-In?
10/15/04 at 22:32:27
Quote Print Post  
Hey......."Now for something we hope you really like!"
Chum Salmon opens Sat at Hoodsport and I was wondrin if'n som'yall might wanna fish fer them slimey fellers?
I hear they will start coming in late Oct-mid-Nov. and I have gotten lots each year (15-20 per day) with 4 avail per person take home each day, it is worth it just to release some nice 10-20 pound fish!
I have some pics I will try to scan and a video somewhere to show how thick they come in....Weekends are pretty crowded and the tribes net on odd days so anybody interested lets hear it and get some carpoolin in!

p.s. the average runs last 5 years are 100.000 to 150.000 fish into the hatchery and they come in in schools of 1000 to 5000! literally beating your legs to get bye!
Waders are best and rain gear a must...chest waders are good lest everyone gets in front of ya!

IP Logged

EX-PREZ
WBC Member

"I'd like to thank my
sponsors for helping
me out"

Re: How bout a "Chum-In?
Reply #1 - 10/16/04 at 16:52:37
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
  When?  It sounds like fun!  Can we take a baseball bat with us?  That may speed up the process on getting our limit and getting out of that freezing cold water!  Call me, I might just be in for something like that! Grin

SPONSORS:&&MY BEAUTIFUL WIFE!&&1st pick at the raffle (when we have a raffle)&&TEAM NO BOAT PAYMENT/ NO TRUCK PAYMENT&&AQUA VU CAMERAS (borrowed from Terry, scratch that, he took it back)&&STRATOS boats (pre-owned division)&&YAMAHA (came with the STRATOS boat)

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/16/04 at 18:10:52
Quote Print Post  
Bats...No!.....
Tribal and Fish Police....PLENTY!
The runs are scattered but should get going within a couple of weeks....
Recommended tackle......

Rod.......7-1/2' to 8-1/2' spinning or baitcast....spinning seems to work best for combat fishing with 50 other people nearby.

Line.....I use 12 lb. cause if I need bigger the fish will probable tie up everyone else in the area and I will want to break him off anyways!...lots of guys use 20-30 lb......Fireline or braids will be trouble and you can get spooled! Abrasion resistance is prime on the oyster beds....Time to get out those extra spools we all have in a drawer and load them up with extra line!

Hooks.....#1 or #2 Barbless octopus hooks in blood red with Florescent green or red or orange yarn is alll you need! Set up on 12"-18"leaders pre-tie 12-24 in advance cause if it's crowded you might lose your spot!

and weight.....parachute cord with increments of 3/8....1/2.....3/4....1oz.....depending on tidal current. Clip them onto a Three-way with snap-swivel.

Will have some at the meeting and some basic instruction too! if anyone has some info bring it on as some have favs' too!

I bring two rods out on the water when I wade by stuffing one in the back of my waders...(break down rods!)

Oh...Waders...I use Neoprene insulated as it gets darn cold and occasionally rough out on the sand-gravel-oyster bars!

Dont forget to upgrade your license to Salmon and for Saltwater fishing.......yes it is more bucks but beats buying "Fondled Fish" at the store!

Auburn Sports and Marine has the scoop on the runs and so does Fishing and Hunting News....but word of mouth seems to get the word faster on the runs.  Grin

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/16/04 at 19:32:57
Quote Print Post  
Larry, let me think about this...,.NAW

Rich

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/16/04 at 22:52:20
Quote Print Post  
I thought I was gonna "Chum" last weekend, but had my appendix out Tuesday about midnight, and now feel like avoiding chumming for awhile. Lips Sealed
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/17/04 at 19:21:01
Quote Print Post  
Hmmmm.....Appendix......food processor....hmmmmmm

OPPS! WRONG CHUM!!!
Get better and you have time as they are not in yet!!

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/17/04 at 21:53:08
Quote Print Post  
The Skok is the spot for me for the chums.  You'll have to weed through the dark ones for the chromers, but they're there.  Don't use your nice reel, I broke the drag on one last year after hooking 20-30 of those dogs.  Orange with green yarn was the killer combo last year.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/17/04 at 23:27:58
Quote Print Post  
Are they in the Skok. yet?...er....Skokomish River....

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/18/04 at 01:22:55
Quote Print Post  
Count me in Larry, after studying all week I will be ready on any Friday or Sunday...have classes on Saturday.

BillB

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/18/04 at 03:28:49
Quote Print Post  
Larry,

Keep me in the loop, as well. I would be interested in a little combat fishing...

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/18/04 at 18:30:24
Quote Print Post  
I liked Ron's reply the best Grin Grin. Why not use dinamite instead.
RB

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/18/04 at 18:38:56
Quote Print Post  
Dynamite is too loud.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/18/04 at 19:53:04
Quote Print Post  
What?  Slimer fishing?!?!?  Shocked

Ok, I'm in!  Grin

Too bad I don't know how to post pictures here.  I've got a fly rod caught "boot" of a chum you'd love to see!  Wink

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/30/04 at 04:48:08
Quote Print Post  
The reports are in so I am venturing to Hoodsport for some Chum action! Will report on my return or if I just get sicker with this darn cold! Grin

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/01/04 at 05:29:36
Quote Print Post  
It's confirmned....the Chum are in and schooling up at the hatchery at Hoodsport and around Potlatch...there is a Chum Derby on Saturday the 6th so it will be a circus then....I got 9 fish but broke off two hens that I wanted to keep so did not keep any this trip.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo