Normal Topic Black Lake (Read 2345 times)
jwalzer
Ex Member

Black Lake
09/20/04 at 21:50:13
Quote Print Post  
Does anyone know anything much about Black Lake in Olympia?  I have heard a little from time to time but haven't really heard all that much.  My dad is coming up here this weekend to fish and he hears that its one of the best bass lakes in Washington.  I on the other hand am a little skeptical of going to a lake I have never been to that I know nothing about.  My plan was to go out to Sawyer and try it out.  Sounds like some of you did pretty good out there recently, and I have always had decent luck out there too.

What do you guys think?

-jw

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Re: Black Lake
Reply #1 - 09/20/04 at 22:29:14
Quote Print Post  
Black is a good lake form what I hear. I have only been there twice and always caught fish. I just haven't gotten into any toads. There is a no wake zone on it until 11 am which is nice because it keeps skiers at bay for awhile. But you can't run around till then either.

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/20/04 at 22:38:53
Quote Print Post  
Black lake has a big algee bloom right now. The fishing recently has not been that good, a lot of dinks. If I were you I would take your Dad to Silver Lake. The algee bloom is minimal and the fishing is good. I was down there about a week and a half ago and caught 8 keepers between 2lbs and 5 lbs.

Daryl

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/20/04 at 23:10:01
Quote Print Post  
I have wanted to fish Silver for a while, but I don't think I am going to be able to make it that far this weekend.  I know its not all that far, but I have other things going on that afternoon, and I want to maximize my time on the water.

Thanks for the info on Silver though.  I will try to change my pops mind.   Smiley

-jw

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/20/04 at 23:19:31
Quote Print Post  
J,

Hit Sawyer if you can. No skiers early and the fish are biting good on drop shot Robo worms in 22-23 ft.
The first break at that depth was consistently good for us at the fishin.
Russ

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/20/04 at 23:39:38
Quote Print Post  
Yah, that's what I will probably do.  Haven't been out there in a couple weeks anyway.  Always seems like I get into some decent fish when I am out there.

Sounds like you guys were fishing fairly deep at Sawyer last weekend.  Were you fishing near the points on the east side of the lake?

-jw

IP Logged

jwalzer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/27/04 at 18:30:28
Quote Print Post  
Well, against my beeter judgement and some of your judgments too, we did go to Black lake on Saturday morning.  And there was a pretty terrible algae bloom.  However, that didn't stop my Dad from catching one of the biggest large mouths I've ever witnessed.  The pig had to have been about 7 to 8 pounds.  Unfortunately, just as my Dad got his hand on him to pull him out of the water, he spit the hook, and off he went, no picture.   Angry  He did however catch another large mouth around 4 pounds that I did get a picture of.

I wish I could say it was a decent day for me too, but I caught mostly dinks.  All in all, a pretty slow day.  Together we probably only managed 8 to 10 fish, but the big one really made the trip worth it.

It looks like  you guys have a fish-in there this weekend.  Some advice: don't pass up the opportunity to fish all the pad fields, they seemed to be producing pretty well, and be prepared to give your boat a good washing after your done, the algae and weeds are super thick.

-jw

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo