Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Crawfish Feast (Read 4987 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Crawfish Feast
08/23/04 at 04:10:29
Quote Print Post  
Tomorrow my daughter and I are going to have a crawfish feast!  (Mama won't eat sea food or anything like it - which means more for us!)  And I got to thinking - some of you guys who fish Washington regularly could be doing the same thing - all you have to do is put out a couple of traps when you go fishing.  Check the regs when setting them up to be legal.  You are only allowed 2 per person, but I managed to put about 150 in the fridge this week.  Some of these guys were huge!  And they will be so delicious!

Something to think about...

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Re: Crawfish Feast
Reply #1 - 08/23/04 at 09:13:28
Quote Print Post  
So what do crawfish taste like? I never even thought of eating them.

Let me guess they taste like chicken Grin

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/04 at 20:08:31
Quote Print Post  
You keep that up rev and your smallies will stop growing Grin   

Dont forget to add a little cajun hot sauce!  finger licking good!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/23/04 at 19:49:30
Quote Print Post  
Jim, they taste like miny lobsters... what else!  You only eat the claws (if they are big enough) and the best part is the tails.  Infact, the fun is trying to grip the live ones behind the claws without getting clamped on to, breaking each claw off, (they break off easy) and then RIPPING their tails off!!!  Gory but somehow deeply satisfying!!!

Then, on the tail there are 5 end fins.  You take the middle one and break it off, and what ever entrails go down the tail come out with the fin.  Easy cleaning!  When you boil the tails and claws, they all turn orange.  Boil them in Old Bay seasoning powder - and start eating.  Now don't get me wrong - there's a little work to opening and eating them - but I think they are worth it!

As far as taking away from the bass' food resources - believe me, some of these crawfish were so large they probably eat bass for dinner.  I'd like to see the bass that could eat the big ones!  But the lake is crawling with them... and the majority of them only come out at night.  That's the best time to leave the pots out - over night.  

There are several commercial crawfish companies who work Lake Washington - imagine how many they harvest in a season!  And they use dozens of pots - I've seen on the camera as many as 16 pots stretched out over a hundred yards - attached by rope to one another.  Larry saw one pull a line up once near the I-90 bridge and every pot was full.  I don't think my two pots are going to ding the population too bad.

By the way, I found an abandoned line of commericial crawfish traps last year with the camera, (the rope had broken that went to the float, I guess) and the Fish and Game department eventually gave me permission to yank em.  They are round with two openings, but they work!  I've got 16 of them.  If anyone wants a pair of them, (free of course) I'll bring them to the next meeting.  You'll need to get rope (I've never gone deeper than 30 feet) and a bouy, (a can of cat food, a salmon head, or whatever you got that stinks for bait) but then you're in busness!  Let me know...

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/23/04 at 19:53:53
Quote Print Post  
You got me a little confused....How are they still alive after you boil or steam them? I have had crawfish before and never had an issue grabbing them because they are dead....

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/04 at 19:58:23
Quote Print Post  
No, no, no... You don't boil the whole crawfish.  I was talking about getting them out of your live well!  (only the claws and tails) They are still quite alive and quite strangely offended at the fact that you want to rip them in two while still alive.  (Hmmm... go figure!)

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/23/04 at 21:43:26
Quote Print Post  
Rev,

You forgot one important and most common way to eat these big critters. You take the head and suck the entrails out of them after you boil them Tongue Roll Eyes ??? ???. You must not have done this before. HMM,HMM,Hmm-Good.
Russ

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/24/04 at 03:14:17
Quote Print Post  
I heard that's how they do it down south, ....but I'm a Yankee for sure!

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/24/04 at 03:36:20
Quote Print Post  
I'm gonna give this a try the next time I go out.  I love 'dads and its been awhile since I got some.  Where have you been putting the traps?  (Approx)  I'll have to pick up some gear and read up on the regs.

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/30/04 at 17:20:10
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rev, I might want to take you up on the free trap offer.  I've never had crawfish, but wouldn't mind giving them a try!  Smiley

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/30/04 at 23:47:03
Quote Print Post  
Hey Rev,
We were talking about having something a bit different at the Potholes potluck in September and you may have hit on something.  Lyle, the un-official club chief cook, suggested a large boil, toss it out on a table and have a royal feast.  This sounds like the perfect reason for club members to catch as many of the craws as possible and we have a cajun feast to end the tourny season.  Think that they would keep for any length of time?

Kirk

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/31/04 at 14:55:29
Quote Print Post  
A freind of mine ordered some from Louisiana alive and kept them in a plastic pool for a week till his feast....he still finds discarded shedded shells in his backyard....escapees......

IP Logged

Andrea L
WBC Member

Reply #12 - 08/31/04 at 20:33:28
Quote Print Post  
Hi Rev,

I told Lyle about your post and we're also wondering how long you can keep 'em and if we need to "catch" them soon or can we wait later into September, since the tourney isn't until the 25-26th.  Your professional crawdad'in opinion would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Andrea

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/31/04 at 20:36:11
Quote Print Post  
My mom and stepdad freeze shrimp from the saltwater all the time. They clean them, leave them raw, and then freeze the meat with water into a large block of ice. Does anyone know if this is possible for 'dads?

This talk is making my mouth water. If we end up doing this for September, I volunteer to bring a bunch of different hot sauces for our sampling pleasure!

Chris

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/03/04 at 21:58:15
Quote Print Post  
Well I must have done something wrong.  I set my 'dad traps in at 10:00 am.  I used canned cat food as bait.  I came back at 2:00 pm and did have a one.  I tried the south end of the lake on a mud flat by the creek with the trestle and the end of mercer at the sunken forest.  I did manage a 3.1 LM on my trip though.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo