Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Big Lake fish in (Read 5570 times)
FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Big Lake fish in
07/08/04 at 20:56:50
Quote Print Post  
Just to make sure evrything is still a go, can we get the details? Are we having a "potluck"? And any idea what the turn out might be like? Jim, maybe you can set up a poll to see whose coming!   Grin hehe

And of course, most importantly, any tips/info on the fishing?

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Re: Big Lake fish in
Reply #1 - 07/09/04 at 02:53:35
Quote Print Post  
Arvine,
I've heard the fish are skittish their. But i've also heard their big to as the lake explains.

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #2 - 07/09/04 at 03:14:01
Quote Print Post  
All I have is a medium weight spinning set-up.  I hope it holds up. (Planning to get a baitcasting rod/reel by the end of the month.)

What lures/plastics should I make sure to pick up for Saturday on this lake? I'm just beginning to collect, so I might not have everything I need. Just a few, please.

Thanks,
Stu

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/09/04 at 03:28:49
Quote Print Post  
Well I've never fished their but I would pick up some senkos! Their really easy to fish! They catch big fish to! I would suggest a natural color! I haven't had much luck on colors that aren't so I like to stick with natural colors.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/04 at 04:46:45
Quote Print Post  
4-1/2" lizards..I like Zoom and also grubs from Yamamoto 176 is the color single and double tails 4-5"
and as Nick said.....some Senkos in Watermelon and green pumpkin work well. See ya at the B-Fast!

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/09/04 at 05:33:31
Quote Print Post  
Cant wait for some more WA-Bass! Smallies?????
Skittish means dropshot will kill!!!! if the captain positions the boat right Tongue

Hey Stu, Im no WA expert, but heres what Ive put together. Get the Senkos like Nick said,  I like 240 and 194 in CA. When he says natural colors look for "watermelon" or "pumpkin" and things like that (the more flakes and glitter the better!). I like em with a Gamakatzu EWG 2/0 or 3/0 depending...

Id also suggest a yammamoto 4" double tail HULA grub in the same colors about. The numbers for the color i like is 208 its watermeolon with blk/red flake.  Then get some 3/8 oz and 1/4 oz football lead heads. Double tail HULA grubs are great cause you can lose one leg and still fish it or lose the skirt and still fish it. Its like 3 baits in one kinda. And with the price of yammies this is nice.

I just went to Anglers Choice today and theyve got everything I just mentioned.  If the Yamamotos are too expensive get the Kinami baits. They are EXACTLY the same, only are packaged in smaller quanities like 6 instead of 10 and like 16 instead of 20 or something so its cheaper, but same unit price. 

Only got 4 weeks left so I wanna make this count!!!

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/09/04 at 08:46:29
Quote Print Post  
Here is the link to the newsletter with directions

http://www.westernbassclub.com/Newsletters/june2004/page6.html

It appears that the home page has a glich in it and you can not access the June newsletter.

I will fix it as soon as I get home.

also check your email I sent out all the info to you.

If you did not get the email and want to.  let me know what your email address is and I will put on the list

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 07/09/04 at 12:09:28
Quote Print Post  
No smallies in Big Lake.  Lot's of docks and milfoil, and a huge pad field on the south end.  If you've ever fished Long lake in Port Orchard, it's very much the same type of lake.

White spinnerbaits and perch crankbaits will do you well when the cloud cover is thick.  Finesse baits are the ticket when it's sunny.  Senkos work under both conditions as do traditional Texas rigged 6" worms.

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/09/04 at 15:11:26
Quote Print Post  
Darn, I wanted some more smallies! oh well, largies will do just fine Grin

IP Logged

Nick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/09/04 at 20:30:27
Quote Print Post  
Hey Glenn if you say theirs a big pad field I would suggest pitchin a jig into the open areas deep into the pads! I've noticed the big girls like to hang deep in the pads on hot sunny days! and use a heavier jig with as big a trailer as possible! Also try pitchin to the smaller pockets! Also noticed thats were the bigger ones like to be!

Thanks for the info Glenn! Wish I could make but I'm leaving to Wyoming at 6 so won't be able to make. Tried to make my parents pospone the laving time until about 3-4 in the afternoon but no success! Well good luck to you all!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/12/04 at 04:01:00
Quote Print Post  
Hey clubbers.....well the fish-in was a good one and for those who missed it there was some nice numbers caught by almost all boats!
I believe and Jim can correct me that there were 5 boats with 10 anglers and with the funky weather there was no specific pattern till the end of the day.......
Glenn and Keri caught 3 on spinnerbaits and perch cranks, Rich and Ray Loth caught theirs on Moptops and senkos, Myself and FlyinFish 77 caught ours in the morning on Spinnerbaits and Moptops and Rob M. and Dave Jarrell caught several on senkos and spinnerbaits........Jim and Stu.......Jim and Stu........Beuller......Beuller...nuff said.
Ray Loth caught big fish (Of the four they caught that AM) a 4.7 Largie! To break in Rich's Skeeter!
That was the Am call.......Myself with flyinfish and Dave and Mr. Maglio stayed and it was well worth it with our boat taking 3 more fish with a 3 even by the SO-CAL KID! all on Dropshot Robo worms.....and the Magio special crew taking two more with....get this.....a 6.5 largie! on a spinnerbait I believe but he will correct me if wrong. Some great Johnsonvilles by Mr. Shaffer and a blast for the drive!

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/12/04 at 04:43:02
Quote Print Post  
WARNING!WARNING Do not follow Glenn!!!

Rich

IP Logged

FlyinFish77
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/12/04 at 16:09:00
Quote Print Post  
Larry redeemed himself at the end when he finally figured out how to copy my dropshottin skilllzzzzz Tongue Grin, and after our stomaches got worked by those johnsovilles! Didnt have the pleasure of seeing Larry do one of his rod breakings he says hes famous for, maybe next time.

Oh and BTW i think the 6# was on a senko.

Thanks again Larry for putting up with the SoCal mud slinging and putting us on fish, at least in the PM  Wink. OH I almost forgot! I dubbed Larry the "Perch Princess" after flinging em through the air left and right and putting a 1 pounder in the boat!

Cyall at the meeting...

~Arvin

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/12/04 at 17:09:39
Quote Print Post  
The fish in was alot of fun and its a great lake.  Im deffinately going back.  Afternoon bite was great!  Robs 6.5 bute was caught on a sinko and the 4+ was on a spinnerbait!  Just to be accurate.   

Thanks for taking me rob!

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/13/04 at 04:48:34
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Larry for the report, My mind was still in florida fishing Rodman, thats why me and Stu had a hard time finding fish.

Anyway glad to see the numbers show up for the trek north, I hope they continue throught the rest of the year.

Jim

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo