Normal Topic another "Snake Bite Club" member (Read 3315 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

another "Snake Bite Club" member
06/04/04 at 16:43:57
Quote Print Post  
For those who were not at the Columbia River and did not have the chance to hear my whining here you are as I, having the time of my life catching loads of fish, even four doubles on day two with Bill B. was in the act of removing a small 1lb fish from my rattle trap and when I looked away, the fish shook driving one of the new Gamakatsu trebles into my index finger and then proceded to shake while dangling from my now impaled finger. As some folks might know...I can be colorful with the English lanquage and at this time I seem to have invented several new words for Mr. Webster to ponder. After some rastlin of the fish and a good set of Side Cutting pliers I was ready for the most painful thing next to childbirth and kidney stones....having to drive a sharp object through my finger in order to cut off the barbed end. As I pulled to remove the barbed end I saw that darkening vision reported to me so many times in the back of the Ambulance at work just before someone passes out and when all was said and done I am left with the painful memory of a fun day of fishing and Two Holes in the shape of a snake bite on my index finger.
so beware.........dont join this club!

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: another "Snake Bite Club" member
Reply #1 - 06/05/04 at 01:13:20
Quote Print Post  
Hay, Larry, I joined the Hook in the Finger Club last month up at Palmer. The hook jumped straight from the bass into my thumb. Luckily, it hit bone, and stopped not too long after the barb went under the skin. The needle nose pliers that had just helped out the bass got to do the same for my thumb. Yeah, it bled a little, but it was just a minor owie to a tough guy machinist. It didn't hurt a lot, didn't get infected, and didn't make the lights go dim. IMHO, you're making a big deal out of nothing. Slam a bandaid on it and keep fishin'. Good grief, what a kitty! Wink
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/04 at 14:20:13
Quote Print Post  
Do'nt get me wrong....it happened on the 2nd of 12 straight fishing days so nothing got slowed down! Grin

IP Logged

Dave_Jarrell
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/04 at 16:06:04
Quote Print Post  
!!!!!!!    YOUR A MACHINE, NOT A MAN   !!!!!!

lucky machine to boot!   Shocked

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/06/04 at 04:11:00
Quote Print Post  
and...I hate to say it.....with a composite transom!.....................sorry fellow ProCrafter!

IP Logged

Dipsnort
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/07/04 at 17:18:29
Quote Print Post  
I joined that club last year when I caught a caught a 17" Kamloops Rainbow trout while dock fishing at midnight in B.C.  Never had I seen a more active fish, and as I tried to grab it one of the treble hooks (from a Rapala plug) buried in the web of my hand between the thumb and index finger.  If that wasn't bad enough, I couldn't gain control of the fish with the other hand and it kept thrashing wildly about until I reached over to the garbage can where I grabbed a broken "super soaker" squirt gun and smashed it over the head to make it stop!  Shocked

I was going to release the dang thing unharmed, but at some point, a guy has to make the best of a bad situation, so he was dinner the next day.  I also experience the "nearly passing out" thing.  Roll Eyes

Now I know why Bill Dance always tells the fish to settle down and then warns it not to jump around and promises to let it go if it behaves.  Wink

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/08/04 at 00:14:59
Quote Print Post  
Hey Larry,
  Got to join the "club"  Shocked today.  Was out with Backlash and managed to hook a slimer.  Upon getting it into the boat, the fish battled back buy buring the Rapala DT 16 treble into my ring finger.   Had to push it all the way thru and then cut the hook. Embarrassed Angry Lips Sealed   But did managed to get one good smallie into the boat.  3.3 on the digital.  Jim and I caught a total of 9.  All were small largemouth except the one good smallie.

Mark

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/08/04 at 02:42:48
Quote Print Post  
ARRRRGHH!!!! BROTHERS-O-THE HOOK!!

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/20/04 at 05:52:01
Quote Print Post  
Larry, if it's ok with you I will rejoin the club after I started it with those 4 hooks from  two tripple grips stuck in my face.   UndecidedYesterday While lippin a lunker, I was standing up with the lipped fish and she bucked, hooking the lure on a rope and in the process of standing up put a hook thru my finger nail and into the bone, I don't know that I made the decision my self or it just happened but I was on my knees before I knew it. got rid of the fish, cut the hook off the lure (spinnerbaits huge hook) Left it in for a few hours untill fully convinced on how I was going to get it out.  I guess I wasn't man enough the first time around, or it was deeper in the bone than I thought, because it took two tries to get it out. You should have taught me some of those colorful words, because all I said was oh man! this ones gonna hurt! I was right!!  Undecided
 No blacking out, but I did get the flash of white lite when it happened which is what you get as something shocks the system into a sencery overload. and I did make sure my boat was beached just incase I did pass out, but I usually don't pass out from pain....just getting knocked upside the head.
   Who's next??

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/20/04 at 14:30:03
Quote Print Post  
EEEEEOOOOOUUUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo