Normal Topic Have you fished for bass at these? (Read 2829 times)
S._Basser
Ex Member

Have you fished for bass at these?
04/18/04 at 19:17:27
Quote Print Post  
Shannon, Cavanaugh, Ozette, Cushman, Merwin, Yale, Swift Creek Res.? The late Dick McElhiney used to fish Shannon. I have been told that Ozette, Cushman and Merwin have bass, don't know about Yale and Swift Creek, but I think we oughta find out. Anybody fish Mayfield for bass? How about Lk. McMurray? Lk. Ki? Flowing Lk.? Why not? I think we need to find out if these lakes a) have bass and b) would be good for club activities.  It seems to me that there are more lakes closed until "last Sat. in April" than ever before, and with this year's weather, I think that's a darned shame. 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Re: Have you fished for bass at these?
Reply #1 - 04/19/04 at 02:55:00
Quote Print Post  
Steve,

I have heard good things about smallies in Lake Cushman, but have not had the chance to check it out yet. I would like to go there sometime in May. It should be the best month to check a lake out for the first time... maybe June, too.

I think it would be an excellent lake for club tournaments. It's about the size of Lake Whatcom, and I think it has decent camping facilities.

Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 04/19/04 at 03:14:02
Quote Print Post  
My understanding is that Lake McMurray doesn't have any bass, but I could be wrong.  Bass aren't listed on the WDFW regs.  The "ramp" is nothing more than a sloping gravel bank.  Speed limit is 5mph.

Lake Ki has bass, but the "launch" is horrible - really only feasable for car toppers.  It may be a trolling only motor lake as well, but perhaps by default due to the launch.  There's no parking lot to speak of either.

There's bass in Flowing lake too.  I've fished it before out of a fiberglass, so the lauch/facilities are good.  It's in a park, however, so you're subject to gate hours.  Been over a decade since I've been there, though, so I'm not sure how it is today.

I fished Mayfield for bass as well, but was only marginally successful.  The club had a weekend picnic there once, so we've had a club activity there before.  The campground there is pretty decent (well, at least it was then - some 11 years ago).  It's very picturesque. The contours are wild - you can have the front end of your boat in 2' and the back end in 70'.  The muskie fishing, I hear, is pretty good though.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/19/04 at 14:09:41
Quote Print Post  
Mayfield has some huge smallies in her. The locals catch 5-6 lbers every spring.
Russ

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/19/04 at 16:29:38
Quote Print Post  
Anyone know about Alder Lake? It always looks nice with the stumps and ditches.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/19/04 at 20:35:29
Quote Print Post  
I haven't fished Alder Lake, but have done some research on it and talked to a lot of fisherman that catch largemouth and smallmouth from there. It sounds like the lake fishes pretty small, but there are some great structures in there like railroad trestles, house foundations, etc.

I think the Logstons, Ted Watts, and some of those southerly folks have fished Alder...

Chris

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/04 at 15:58:04
Quote Print Post  
i have drove by it a few times and it looked sweet. All the text book structure. I wasn't sure how cold that water got or how warm it got either. I thougt I read about some people catching fish on some site a few years ago. I guess I have to give it a try.

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/10/04 at 14:32:38
Quote Print Post  
Speaking of Lake Ki...I drove by it on Saturday and did see boats with motors on them. I am not sure if you are allowed to run them though. Glenn is right about the the launch and parking. With a fulled sized bass rig you would probably be all in the road way to get it in the water and parking is.....well there isn't really any parking.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo