Normal Topic Lake Morton Fish-in (Read 2703 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Lake Morton Fish-in
04/18/04 at 00:16:16
Quote Print Post  
WELL Team Ranger(Glenn & Keri), Rich2 Loth(Rich & son Rich), Darin Sanger, Don Baxter, Ray Henning, Guest appearance by Chuck Bailey and myself) decided to give it a go, and beat the water to a froth with everything including the kitchen sink. The only thing we had to show for it was 2 fish under 10 one of them mine at a whopping 8" and one right at a pound caught by Don Baxter woo whoo!!! Unfortuneatly he also gave up his life to the fish gods. May we have a moment of silence. . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
PLEASE HAVE SOME RESPECT FOR THE DECEASED!!  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
FINE!!
Big fish was taken by Ray Henning for a HUGH Monsterous, GARGANTUAN, 1 LB 8 OZ large mouth.
Well! it was the biggest fish we seen today anyway.
Even after the potluck Team Ranger, Chuck Bailey and myself decided we had not had enough abouse and went back out till around 4 with no success.

I really hope the next Fish-in (MAY 1st on Spencer) with have a better show of people and fish.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Lake Morton Fish-in
Reply #1 - 04/18/04 at 01:03:13
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the report Jim.  I would just add to that:  water temp 57 in the am, reaching 61 by 4pm; light variable winds; partly cloudy; water clarity: stained.

Also, don't forget the coot we (Ray & I) rescued.  He was all tangled up in discarded fishing line and "stuck" in some reeds.  Ungrateful little coot.... he didn't even say "Thank You" as he took flight off the deck of my boat!  Wink

BTW - it was Ray's 1st Washington State bass!  Glad I was able to witness it.  I will add to his profile a pic of said fish & mug shortly.

Morton is a neat little lake, void of jetskiiers and other annoyances.  I think Team Ranger will be visiting again soon.

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/18/04 at 23:31:32
Quote Print Post  
Well, I showed up around noon - as most of you were leaving.  Throughout the afternoon nothing happened.  But around dinner time I went from zero fish to 10!  But don't get excited - they were all dinks!  The largest went about a pound and a half.  Apparently no one told the little ones to stay home.  (I caught two little Rock bass too - I didn't know those red-eyed cousins were in there.)

One of the home owners said he saw a 4 pounder cruising around the day before, but my guess is that we're still a week or two away from seeing mama and papa bass hanging out regularly.

I agree Glenn, it's a fun little lake!  No skiers and run-a-bouts tearing up the lake like at Sawyer - I too will spend more time there since it's so close to home.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/19/04 at 01:54:40
Quote Print Post  
Yeah, sure, great Jim,
  Put our little secret lake on the fish in schedule and suddenly everyone thinks it's great! Angry Shocked Undecided
  Just kidding,  glad most of you strangers to Morton thought so highly of it.  It's a fun lake, good for praticing skipping and if your not to careful, fun to catch a BIG one at.  Just ask Russ B.

Mark

IP Logged

Ray
Forum Member

Reply #4 - 04/19/04 at 15:01:24
Quote Print Post  
Thanks to everyone at WBC!!
- Thanks for the new Loomis rod I won in the raffle.
- Thanks for my first WA bass caught with my new rod.
- Thanks for a great ambassador... "Faz".
- Thanks for netting my "good fish" Glenn.
- Thanks to Rev for being the only one at Morton with the courage to tell me my fly was down.
He know's a troller when he sees one.
Ray

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/04 at 01:52:41
Quote Print Post  
Guys Hit Morton To Early,

Your at least a month to early!!! This lake has produced for me many 5-6.8 lb largemouth. I weighed a 9+ for a guy there last year. You need to hit it in late May to mid June. You will probably run into me in the next 4 weeks. The fish don't spawn there until the water temps hit 65% and stay there.
Russ

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo