Normal Topic Reel News!! (Read 2262 times)
DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reel News!!
01/26/04 at 14:28:18
Quote Print Post  
Here is a flash for all of you who use Shimano Reels in your fishing endeavors.  While working the show this weekend for Shimano I found out that "Hot Sauce" is
NOT RECCOMENDED
for use on any Shimano reel for any lubrication purpose.  According to reel technicians employed by Shimano, the stuff actually gums up the internal gears & bearings! Angry  I had just purchased some and was planing to use it this week as I begin my annual reel maintanence schedule.
I hope this word gets around before any others make the mistake I almost did.
Thanks Rich, for questioning me when you did.  Smiley

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Re: Reel News!!
Reply #1 - 01/29/04 at 02:44:44
Quote Print Post  
I just saw the stuff advertized on TV as the best lube available, and now my belief in the integrity of fishing shows is shattered!  Whoa is me! Who'd da thunk it!

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/29/04 at 20:16:37
Quote Print Post  
I am currently using a lube called Rocket Fuel....it makes a huge difference, just one drop on each end of the spool makes an immediate improvement.

The Quantum Hot-Sauce is supposed to bond with the metal at a molecular level - how would that gum up gears unless either the Shimano gears are composites not metal or if more than a single drop was used? All the new Quantum PT series reels are pre-treated with Hot-Sauce at the factory and the 2 I have just bought run very smoothly.... what gives, could this be a bit of anti-Quantum propaganda??  ???

IP Logged

safecracker
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/04 at 20:49:37
Quote Print Post  
My guess would be that the Hot-Sauce may react with the lubricants that Shimano is using.
I have been using the Hot-Sauce exclusively for a year now, with no problems whatsoever, on all my BC reels (mostly Shimano and Quantum). But it's always been used after a complete teardown/cleaning. I know it doesn't react to the grease I use, which is a synthetic type used in the Safe industry. It just happens to work really well on reels also.

IP Logged

BillBrynteson
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/29/04 at 21:49:52
Quote Print Post  
I have no problems with Hot Sauce either   ???

I use both  Corado and a PT baitcasters and have been lubing them both with HS for the last year and no problems.  Both work smoothly as I would expect them to for the money I paid for them.

I do not find it surprising that the Shimano folks would say to not use another product, it is a tough business out there!!   Wink

BillB

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 01/29/04 at 21:56:35
Quote Print Post  
I also use Rocket Fuel.  However given the cost, I was prepared to try the Hot Sauce.  As for the Anti Quantum propoaganda crack.  I doubt that Shimano would engage in any such bashing as they would have nothing to gain.  They are the leading manufacturer of quality reels in the world.  With the exception of the FX models, which are made for mass-merchandiser consumption, their gears are all cut from metal or metal alloys and set the standard to which others compare themselves to.  The drag material on their reels is made from a metal composit caled Dartainium.  It is a new spaceage material that allows heat to disipate more evenly and rapidly than before.  Addtionally the material works at the same level of efficiancy when wet.  This is  a claim that cannot be made by others in the industry.
Finally, I should state that the technician did not specify the use of any special lubricant on the bearings or gears.  He only said not to use Hot Sauce.  He did specify Shimano drag grease for the drag elements of the larger reels, but that was all.
I did not post this information to start a Pi$$en contest between Shimano and any other reel or tackle manufacturer, but rather to aleveate any potential probelms for the members of this club that use Shimano reels.
Perhaps I should not have shared this information

Smitty

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/29/04 at 23:14:55
Quote Print Post  
Now now girls, don't fight or you will rip your nylons. Lips Sealed

Smitty, you can lead a horse to water....  We all appreciate it when someone gives us their advice or shares their knowledge but that is as far as it goes.  If someone wants to heed that advice then great but if not then no problem.  That's why we have Democrats AND Republicans, Chevys and Fords, Bassers and Slimers.

Maybe the techs for Shimano see a heck of a lot more reels then we have and are basing their views on more quantifiable evidence.  And I am sure that they see a vast amount of reels that are "rode hard and put away wet".  Maybe, as Safecracker does, you clean them first and then apply the stuff it doesn't mess up.

All we can do is what feels good. Grin

Rich

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/30/04 at 08:11:12
Quote Print Post  
Smitty, I was raggin you on the propaganda issue... I have also been using Hot Sauce for a while on several brands of reels including my Shimano Spinning reels and had no problem.

Nothing personal, just wondering why the Shimano Techs would say what they did.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo