Normal Topic Tourny Prep (Read 3676 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Tourny Prep
03/09/04 at 17:32:48
Quote Print Post  
Any tips and pointers on prepairing for a tournament?
I.E. how to plan pre fishing, mapping out spots and types of things to think about.  setting up plan b and plan c incase of weather changes etc.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: Tourny Prep
Reply #1 - 03/09/04 at 22:51:35
Quote Print Post  
Mr. Shafer,

Didn't you ask this question about three months ago?

I think first about time of year-spawn,pre-spawn,post spawn, etc. For example prespawn:

1) Flats near deep water. Take Silver Lake- the deepest water is 10 feet or so. In April those fish are in less than 2-3 ft of water. Picthing, flippin, skippin docks/cover works best.

Rods that you must have on board wether spawn or prespawn- Flippin stick-15-30lb line. Skippin Rod, drop shot, carolina rod,crankin rod, top water rod, etc.

Look for sun baked shore lines or water running into lake. Clear water not necessary for success.

Look for transition zones rock to sand, open areas to cover. Points. etc.

Some of the few ideas.
Russ

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/10/04 at 03:00:56
Quote Print Post  
#1...make sure you have all the required safety stuff, the flares are not out-dated, the throwable throws, horn blows, lights light, etc.  #2, read the DF&G regs for the body of water you're going to fish, so you know how close you can get to the mouth of that river, that you can't go down there, etc. Lk. Washington, Whatcom, Sammamish, and others have such rules. If the TD doesn't mention closed waters, jump right in there. #3, pay attention to the TD at the Driver's meeting. A lot don't, have to ask questions that have already been answered. #4 Pack a good lunch, correct clothes, some extras in a big ziplock bag. Have more in the truck. #5, In the Spring, I'm willing to buzz down a likely spawning area, just looking to see if they're up on nests. If you don't stop and fish for any fish you see, you can come back and catch real soon. If you stop to fish for them, and they know you're there,  they may not bite for quite awhile. #6, Always carry plenty of Green Pumpkin lizards, Craws and Senkos.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 03/10/04 at 16:43:50
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
Mr. Shafer,

Didn't you ask this question about three months ago?

Russ, he had asked about how to fish a new lake, not tourny prep.  Besides, even if the question had been asked before, there's no law stating the question can never be asked again.  Wink

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/10/04 at 21:31:07
Quote Print Post  
Jim,
Ah, one of my favorite subjects.  This sort of question is what will make you a successful tourney angler.  You
are likely to get hundreds of different responses and opinions.  Your job is to gleen what you can from them and determine what suits you ultimately based on your success in applying them.  Steves comments are great and we all should do this BEFORE we even launch your rocket to go fishing anytime or anywhere.  I try to take a balanced approach to preparing for tourney events.  In other words, the boat should be ready, equipment should be ready (to the smallest detail) and your mind should be ready.  I do not take for granted one second of the thought process up to my first cast of the day.  IN other words, have a plan with a purpose and stick to it.  Also trust your instincts and the knowledge that you have already garnered.  Pre-fishing definately helps, especially if you are willing to fish areas that you never have before fished, ie Potholes.  Pre-fishing helps me more mentally than anything else.  I am always looking to be in the zone before I even get on the water. 

Kirk

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/11/04 at 05:45:37
Quote Print Post  
Kirk,
How do you approach the Jamboree with the family, I mean as far as prefishing, I want my wife to fish and she wants to. But she has a fear of the boat and going fast, which I can understand. with these bass boats your right on the water, plus she has no console to hide behind.
what are the rules about launching from a another launch during the Jamboree?

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 03/11/04 at 14:22:34
Quote Print Post  
Jim,
Remember what we did in my aluminum boat?  We quickly got out to the far right, out the traffic.  It's a bit slower, but at least you're not fighting "rush hour" traffic!   Smiley

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/11/04 at 14:39:47
Quote Print Post  
Jim,
Actually, the Jamboree is where my entire family learned to accept and trust the boat in challenging conditions.  It took some time, but intially, I just took a line and let those that wished to pass, to pass.  The boat of course rocked and rolled some, but after time, they came to trust the boat and driver.  After the ride,we would talk about the boat ride and I shared that even though it appeared to be difficult, the boat handled as it was engineered and designed.  Overtime this has eased most of the fears they initially had.  Of course, another way to ease fears is to get them on fish as quickly as possible.  Typically not to difficult on Banks in May.  What is really a confindence builder is to let HER drive the boat.  Straight line, let others pass, and soon you will have a raving speed freak as a partner!!  It does work. 
Kirk

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/11/04 at 18:27:05
Quote Print Post  
The trick is going to be to get her to drive, so far all of my attempts have failed

I to think that once she drives she will relax a bit.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/14/04 at 02:03:42
Quote Print Post  
Jim, how well the boat handles has a lot to do with how hard it is to drive. That's the result of some work on the setup, and a lot of used boats are not set up right, never have been, and never will be. Takes work and some $$$, sometimes. It's NEVER like driving a car, but it can get close.

I wish you'd change back to your old picture...it was a lot scarier.  Wink 
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo