Normal Topic Reel Help!!!!! (Read 3282 times)
Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reel Help!!!!!
02/21/04 at 20:20:27
Quote Print Post  
I have recently perchaced 3 of the Bass Pro shop rod and reel combo's, I discovered the last time out fishing that the drag on one of the reels was falty and non exsistant. I made a phone call to Bass Pro shops and they said since it was over 30 days and since it was a combo that I needed to return them the whole combo, I only paid $60 for the combo and I like the rods.

So since I no longer trust them and will not use them. I  now need to buy at least 3 reels. Can anyone recommend some good inexspensive baitcasting reels I can replace these with?

I am currently looking at pfluger. What is your experiance?

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: Reel Help!!!!!
Reply #1 - 02/21/04 at 21:29:37
Quote Print Post  
Personally, I think cheap reels are a poor value.  I like the Shimano Curado so well, that nothing else is worth looking at. They really are a great value, and will impress you a bunch...for years to come.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/21/04 at 21:46:23
Quote Print Post  
Jim, I recently bought two Quantum Accurist reels for $40 each on EBay and two Accurist PT (special bearings etc) for $70 each.

My casting has improved tremendously since using them and now I get about 80% less backlashes even casting into the wind.... if you want to try them at the next fish in, let me know.

These are a cheaper alternative to the Shimanos and while I would say they may not be as good as a Curado,  I have several of the older 5 bearing Quantums that are still performing great, and on a budget too.

IP Logged

Bill Brynteson
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/04 at 00:55:53
Quote Print Post  
Hey Jim

I fish with both the Corado and the Quantum PT, they both have their strengths and weaknesses, but for the money and everyday use neither can be beat.

The basic difference in mine is a dial for setting the magnets and a flipping switch on the PT.  You take the side off the corado to set the magnets and it does not have a flipping switch.  

You can find some decent bargains on both of these reels on Ebay.  Otherwise the the retail price is usually around $100 for the PT and $125  for the corado, (app. $179 for the super free model), but like Faz says, they both can be found for less.

That being said, any of the reels in the same price range are very good these days, the competitioin is too good and none want to completely lose market share, so if you find a good deal on Abu Garcia, Pflueger or Daiwa go for it.

Also try out some of the reels any of us use at the fish-in and see what you like, it can take the guess work out.

BillB

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/04 at 01:13:04
Quote Print Post  
I purchased a Shimano recently and had to return it. The anti backlash system is slow to adjust and the increments are too coarse.  My levelwinds are all Diawa 103's.  Not an inexpensive reel but I have not been happy with anything else.  I suggest buying what you really want if it means living with just one levelwind until you can purchase more.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 02/22/04 at 01:42:55
Quote Print Post  
Although I own higher-priced reels (Chronarch, for example), my bread-n-butter reel is the Abu-Garcia 4600.  It's a no-frills solid workhorse that will give you years and years of service.  It's an excellent mid-priced reel.  I think you'll find them around $65 these days.  I own 10 of 'em!

IP Logged

Daryl_S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/04 at 02:53:41
Quote Print Post  
Jim,

I have a Shimono Cardiff CDF200 that I bought last year that is a really good reel. I only used it twice. It was
$109 I will sell it for $80. Its a little small for my hand and thumb. I should have got a 300 series

Like Glenn was saying about Abu-Garcia "they are a work horse" and thats mainly what I have used all my life, except for flipping and pitching I use a Pflueger Trion which goes for about $99. If you go for the Abu-Garcia try to get the C4 orC5 series in the 4600. I have a couple Abu-Garcia reels you can try out before you decide to buy one. Let me Know.

Just for your info, Bass Pro Shops reels are made by Zebco. Not a Quality reel at all.

Daryl

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/22/04 at 06:44:17
Quote Print Post  
Technology has advanced to the point where most higher end reels are all gonna get the job done extremely well. Sometimes it 's just a matter of preference or name.  I personally like and own only shimano, but I have fished with others who use
ABU, Pflueger, Daiwa.  I think its about what you feel comfortable throwing and how much it costs.  I will have for sale two Curados SF's that are used but recently gone through and lubed with rocket fuel for about half the price of a new ones.  I have found thru researching different internet sites and local store sales or discounts that you can save about 25% to 50% on tackle purchases.  They may not be brand new but usually you can find them in pretty good shape.  For example the Sport's Authority just ran a 25% off anything in the store coupon for President's day weekend.  Anyway just a couple ideas and if your interested in the SF's let me know.

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/22/04 at 14:53:43
Quote Print Post  
Jim,
You can stay with Shimano, still get all the quality others on this post have expressed about the brand, and not go broke.  
Shimano offers a reel called the CALYX at $79.99.  It has 4 bearings, a 1 piece aluminum frame and spool, aluminum sideplates, ultra smooth drag, a variable braking system, the super stopper roller bearing anti reverse, and the low profile shared with Curados and such.  The retrieve is 5.8:1, which is more than enough for burning a spinnerbait, as it retreives 21 inches of line per crank.  The 100 series holds 155 yds of 10 lb. line and it weighs just 9.3 oz, less than an oz more than your Curado. Shocked
They can be purchased at Auburn Spts. & Marine or Sportco in Fife.
As others have said, there are several "good" reels or "workhorses"on the market that are available.  Shimano sets the standard for which others aspire. Kiss

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/23/04 at 10:38:27
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys
and I will be hitting you guys up to have a look at those reels at the fish-in

Jim

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo