Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Columbia River in May (Read 4632 times)
Rwfaz
Ex Member

Columbia River in May
02/21/04 at 04:27:55
Quote Print Post  
Well folks, after nearly two hours on the phone today, here's the latest... in no particular order:

1] The gates to Hood Park are closed at 10.30pm, no exceptions.
2] The gates are opened at 5.30am, no exceptions.
3] They will only take bookings for 4 sites max per call.
4] They cannot put us together, only alternate sites in a row can be reserved, the rest are first-come-first-served.
5] Each booking carries a $5 booking fee.
6] Each booking requires a separate credit card, cashier's check or money order (more bank fees)
7] Since it's a Tournament, we now require a "special events" permit - another $50 fee!!
8] If after arriving we find empty "non-reservable" sites next to us, we can move - for a transfer fee of $10!!
9] If we wish to reserve the group shelter for "Pot-luck" or presentation - $100 fee! (does it ever end??)

Does anyone have any ideas on any other places?? I tried West Richland RV Park (10 mile drive to Columbia Point launch on Highways), they could give us 15 spots for $20 per night, all together BUT NO TENTS!!

Saturday I intend trying to contact 1) local bass clubs in the area and find out what they do. 2) See if there are any sites across the water in Oregon that could accomodate us. This might mean we had to run through Oregon waters, and either buy Oregon licenses or declare those waters "off limits" except to run!

Help please ... this is driving me nuts!!!
??? ??? ??? Angry Angry ??? ???
All ideas will be considered.

Faz
425-771-0613 Home or Faz@westernbassclub.com

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Columbia River in May
Reply #1 - 02/21/04 at 04:49:56
Quote Print Post  
Try the Desert Gold Motel & RV Park

611 Columbia Park Trail (Richland Y).  
(509) 627-1000, 1-800-788-GOLD

It's at the northern end of Columbia Park, near where the Yakima enters into the Columbia.

It's not on the water, but it's 5 mins away from the northern launch at Columbia Park (newly remodeled launch facilities).

Keri is checking with her family for more alternatives.

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/21/04 at 17:58:11
Quote Print Post  
Faz,  quit whinning and get this thing setup.  HOW tuff can it be.  Make a few calls and BAM.  We are good to go.

All seriousness aside Faz.  We all understand what a tuff job this can be and appreciate the time and effort that you are putting into this.  It is a tuff job butt someone has to do it.  (Wonder how Larry ever got thru it)  This is showing the other members that think these things are slam dunks that there is a lot of "behind the scenes" activities and headaches that go on.

The Brits are well known for their tenacity so we have faith in you Faz.

Thanks for the effort.

Rich

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/04 at 19:03:08
Quote Print Post  
Rich, better be thanking Glenn for this one.

Desert Gold Have the following available:

Rooms at the Motel are $38 per night for the first person and $4 per night for additional. For two people sharing that is $22 per night each. For three people sharing that is less than $16 per person per night. They have 4 double and 3 triple rooms- this would accomodate up to 17 people, the allow cords from the rooms to boat chargers. Jeff Boyer has been a regular there for years and they are familiar with Bass fisherman's needs re: boat parking etc.

They do not take tens and have not for about 8 years now.

As Glenn states, they are located real close to Columbia Point Launch.

I have a couple of other numbers to check out, will have more soon.

Faz

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/21/04 at 21:23:24
Quote Print Post  
I guess we will just have to bring 20's then.

Rich Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/21/04 at 22:09:33
Quote Print Post  
Faz, I went to Yahoo Yellow Pages, went to Pasco, Kennewick and Richland, then typed in "campgrounds". Got a bunch of stuff. Columbia Park Campground in Kennewick sounds good, location looks good per the map.   6515 SE Columbia Dr, Kennewick, WA 99336  Phone: (509) 783-3711   In Richland, all I got was the Desert Gold Motel/Campground (which sounds pretty good).  What about Sacajawea State Park? It appears to be on the Snake, near the Columbia. The Yahoo Yellow Pages work pretty well for me.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/04 at 00:09:23
Quote Print Post  
Steve, thanks for looking. Columbia Park was my first choice but is closed through Summer for major renoavtions on drainage and septic installations. Before they changed their minds they almost put us in a spot - but it was 3 miles from nearest showers!!!

Desert Gold won't take tents, but I posted the information about their motel rooms, and of course they have RV spots for people who have RVs.

Sacajawea Park looks cool but is day use only according to the Army corps of Engineers website.

I am waiting on a call from another RV park that MIGHT make an exception and find us a corner where we can camp, I'll updat things as I hear them.

Thanks guys for all the help, it is all very much appreciated.

Faz

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/22/04 at 02:20:11
Quote Print Post  
I hate to be the one that starts scattering us all over the Tri Cities but since Motel 6 is the only one close that will take our dog, I booked it (Desert Gold said "NO DOGS").  Mary, Sasha and I will see you all wherever you end up.
Keep up the good work Faz.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/22/04 at 02:59:54
Quote Print Post  
Sacajawea is Day Use only...and full of Skunks Too!! Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 02/22/04 at 04:58:03
Quote Print Post  
Hey... Sasha isn't a skunk!

Geez Larry.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/26/04 at 17:45:59
Quote Print Post  
Faz,  I will be fishing (and hopefully CATCHING) with John Buff at the tri cities tourney.  My wife and I will be staying at the Desert Gold Motel.  Please let me know where the launch will be when you decide.

Rich

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/26/04 at 18:37:41
Quote Print Post  
The Clover Island Inn in Kennewick is familiar with bass fishermen and their needs. Smiley  They have parking for the boats with electrical hookups.  When I stayed their last year the rate was $42 per nite for two in a room.  There is a good public ramp within 200 yards of the hotel on the North side of the Coast Guard station.  This is about 7 miles down stream from the Yakima River and about 3-4 miles upstream from the Snake. ???

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo