Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Deep Cycle Troll Batteries-Help?? (Read 4205 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Deep Cycle Troll Batteries-Help??
02/03/04 at 22:17:37
Quote Print Post  
Hey gang,

Starting to shop for some deep cycle batteries for the Procraft. Any suggestions?? I have been considering Trojan's SC200 series. Also thinking about the new Optima's? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Russ

IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Re: Deep Cycle Troll Batteries-Help??
Reply #1 - 02/03/04 at 22:57:37
Quote Print Post  
Trojan's are awesome.  I've heard nothing but the best about them and I have used them and had great luck.

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/04/04 at 02:14:33
Quote Print Post  
Batteries????

Rich

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 02/04/04 at 02:47:16
Quote Print Post  
Trojan's are an excellent choice. 

2 other brands worth checking out are MinnKota and DieHard.  I know, sounds odd (especially the DieHard), but when you compare specs side-by-side with the Trojans, they're pretty much the same. 

My MinnKota batteries have been outstanding, and the Ranger dealer (Dan) swears by them.  And I used DieHards in the tin boat with no complaints.

If you've done all your shopping already, and have narrowed it down to the Trojans and Optimas, get the Trojans.

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/04/04 at 03:15:23
Quote Print Post  
Delco Voyager, best batteries I've had yet. Others were Gould, then Trojans, and just got my second set of Delco's. These are zero maintainance...no water, no chance to boil them dry. The first set of Delco's went South because the onboard battery charger died during the winter, so the batteries went too. They were 4 years old, easily the longest life I've gotten out of a set. You might check with John Holland for a deal.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/04/04 at 04:37:43
Quote Print Post  
O.K.........now I am confused......when I saw the title..."Deep Cycle TROLL Batteries" I thought I had a handle on the question but alas....I again missread things. It was not until I ventured to Ballard and attempted to discuss the situation with the TROLL under the bridge. One thing I had forgotten about was that there are certain others under the bridge who were not as freindly and after several rounds of beatings and pummellings I realized that maybe indeed the TROLLS were in need of new batteries themselves as they bothered not to come to my aid....I gathered my strength and made my way to the back of the TROLLS where I had assumed the DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES might be inserted and again I met with Uncle Pain as a local Police Officer began firing his Tazer into my back yelling "Pervert! get away from the backside of the TROLL".
So.......several things were learned about DEEP CYCLE TROLL BATTERIES......
1).....Seattle Police Tazers have a long discharge range with lots of extra power but are no good for fishing.
2).....Always pack extra beer in the trunk for Anti-whoopin insurance when fishing around bridges and peirs.
3)....TROLLS do not exist and if they did would not require BATTERIES!
4)....Most of all LISTEN MORE CLOSELY!!

Grin

See ya on the water!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #6 - 02/04/04 at 04:51:16
Quote Print Post  
Lookout! Larry's on a roll!!   Grin Grin

IP Logged

Jim_Shaffer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/04/04 at 05:04:28
Quote Print Post  
my 2 cents;
I have trojans in the Skeeter and haven't had much proble with them just learned that you can't trust an cheap auto charger. and boiled them dry. But I topped them off and recharged them. haven't been a problem since.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/04/04 at 07:27:21
Quote Print Post  
WWOOOOOOHOOOOOOHOOO Shocked Shocked I want what Larrys on!! Grin

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #9 - 02/04/04 at 13:46:24
Quote Print Post  
Like Steve H. stated, I've used Delco's for years without a problem, and gotten an average 4 years of life out of a set. Smiley  My new Stratos came with Trojan SC 200's and while they are new, they do seem to work well.  Time will tell. Undecided 
The problem with Delco batteries is trying to find them at a retail outlet for a reasonable price since K-Mart quit handeling them . ???  Atomic batteries at the intersection of Grady Way & Rainier Ave in Renton used to offer some darn good deals on blems in both Delco & Trojan.  You might check them out. Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/04/04 at 19:40:43
Quote Print Post  
The Nitro has an assortment..... a Minn Kota and a AC Delco Voyager for the trolling motor, and a Die-Hard for cranking.

I definitely like the Minn Kota, recovers well form a deep discharge and no maintenance issues, almost three years old.

The Voyager seems OK.

The Die-Hard (from Sears) has really worked hard, and the warranty from Sears seemed pretty good too, and it was also good value for the money.

IP Logged

Rainyday
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/04/04 at 20:49:14
Quote Print Post  
Reading Larry's posts is better than "Laughter, the Best Medicine" in the Reader's Digest.  Cheered me up while I am home recuperating this week.  Keep up the good posts, Larry!
Rainy Day  Cheesy

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/04/04 at 23:42:46
Quote Print Post  
Please, Rainyday, don't encourage him!   Wink

As to batteries, if you remember a few years ago, the Beemans had a contact from the midwest that sold him a crate of Gel Batteries at rock bottom prices.  Why?  They were inserted in the tornado warning systems all over Kansas, or some other flat state.  But the law required them to be changed out every year for safety reasons regardless of whether they ever got used or not.  I bought two of them (20 dollars each) and they are still going strong - and being gel batteries there is no boil over problems).  I wonder if they still have a connection?  I wish I had bought a few more of them!  Next meeting lets pin him down on how he pulled that one off - maybe we can do it again!

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/05/04 at 05:01:39
Quote Print Post  
Hay! Chuck for President! Good Idea.

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #14 - 02/10/08 at 19:20:52
Quote Print Post  
DUNE HOPPER wrote on 02/04/04 at 13:46:24:
Like Steve H. stated, I've used Delco's for years without a problem, and gotten an average 4 years of life out of a set. Smiley  My new Stratos came with Trojan SC 200's and while they are new, they do seem to work well.  Time will tell. Undecided  
The problem with Delco batteries is trying to find them at a retail outlet for a reasonable price since K-Mart quit handeling them . ???  Atomic batteries at the intersection of Grady Way & Rainier Ave in Renton used to offer some darn good deals on blems in both Delco & Trojan.  You might check them out. Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink

Hey does Atomic Batteries still exist?  I'm having a hard time finding them.  If they no longer in business, anyone know a good place to get a good deal on AC Delco batteries?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo