Normal Topic Washington smallies (Read 2328 times)
marktfd88
Ex Member

Washington smallies
12/09/03 at 23:19:09
Quote Print Post  
Backlash and I headed out into Lk Wash this morning to try our luck with the smallies.  Low and behold, who else was launching their boat, but Larry G and Dennis L.
Said Hi to them but was unable to launch at the same time as them to follow them around  Shocked  ..........
  Headed to the south end of the log boom.  Good looking spot but no deep gravel to hold any fish.  Headed to the north end of the log boom where Pat S caught his fish on Sat....  no luck either.  Took Jim back to the launch and decided to give the south end a try and bada boom bada bing.  Two  3lb smallies on my first pass in 50 ft of water.  Both fought real well and went back down easily after weighing and release.  Used a rev rig with the jointed shad rap.  Tried drop shotting the area with no luck after that.

Mark

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Re: Washington smallies
Reply #1 - 12/10/03 at 05:19:17
Quote Print Post  
Nice Job! Mark! Looks like we have a race for the Big Stringer next year!! Grin

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/10/03 at 11:20:02
Quote Print Post  
Mark, you picked a good day to be on the water.
It has been my experience that Lk. Washington is at its best on a overcast calm day.
Dennis and I headed up north, it did not matter where we went, we found active fish, 40' to 50' range. All were caught on a three-way rig with Rapala's
We ended up with 7 in the boat, a 4.14 lb was our biggest. and we lost 4 others.
Right at the end of the day Dennis broke off a big one, how big, lets just say I am still drying out my boat's carpet from his tears.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/16/03 at 16:03:10
Quote Print Post  
Larry,
  I have been wanting to try some area's in the west channel side of Washington, any suggestion????  I have found a couple of spots, but lack some knowledge on consistently getting fish to hit my rev rig.  Don't know if I am using to heavy a weight, to heavy line, leading legnth, etc.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
mark

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/16/03 at 17:55:28
Quote Print Post  
Let me help just alil, The rev rig concests of four things, #1 a 3 way swivel, #2 a jointed repalla,#9 rainbow trout,  #3 at least a 3 oz. weight. #4 prayer, lots and lots of prayer!..................not necessarly in that order!

Hey Mark, if you have a back seat please let me know, I may be out of comission for up to 3 mo. Embarrassed

IP Logged

Larry G.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/17/03 at 03:02:20
Quote Print Post  
Hey Mark,
As far as what you are using, do not be afraid to jump up to a larger Rapala, even an #11 is not too big. Make sure you change out the hooks, often I replace mine with one size smaller then what they came with.

The weight I use is a 3 ounces. I do not feel the weight size is going to make a difference to the bass, but if you do not use enough weight you will have trouble  feeling the bottom, or you wind up trolling too slow.
Another tip, I find a lot of my hits come when I am dropping into deeper water, rather then running at the same depth.

Also a common mistake I see with anglers new to this type of fishing is they tend to drag the weight along the bottom.
Instead try to drop your rod tip occasionally and just knick the bottom with your weight.

As far as lure leader length,  4-5 foot seems to work best for me, unless I am fishing in an area that has a lot of standing wood, then I shorten it to about 3 feet.

Also try making your drop leader to your lead longer. When I see these bass on the camera, they are almost always several feet off the bottom.

This late in the season I generally abandon the flats in favor of areas that have fast drop-offs into deep water. If they have rock or sunken logs on them, all the better.
Hope this gets you back on track.
If you have any questions,  feel free to give me a call.
Larry G.
253-630-5183

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo