Normal Topic Palmer Lake (Read 1949 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Palmer Lake
09/28/03 at 01:22:25
Quote Print Post  
Gotta tell ya, guys.  I haven't fished this lake in 30 years, but I finally made the pilgrimage back, and boy am I glad!

The ramp sucks, the drive is draining, but 16+ pounds of bass in 4 hours makes it well worth it!!   Grin Grin

This lake has a very healthy population of smallmouth AND largemouth bass.  My biggest was a 4 1/2 lb largie, followed by a 3 1/2 smallie.  Can't complain about that!  That plus the gorgeous scenery and quiet surroundings make this a gem of a lake.

I can't say it's a prime candidate for a tournament, but it's worth hitting if you're staying at Banks or Roosevelt on vacation.  It's only about 1 1/2hrs away.

I hear next year they're going to build a new ramp.  Until then, I highly recommend you don't even try it unless you have a 4-wheel drive tow rig. 

If you want to know more, just ask me or Steve Helmick, who's fished it more than me.

Regards,
Glenn

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: Palmer Lake
Reply #1 - 01/25/04 at 04:01:22
Quote Print Post  
The past two years have been pretty dry, while the two or three previous had heavy winter snows. My first two trips up, the Columbia was in flood stage, with the parks and campgrounds along the river north of Wenatchee being underwater. The fishing was good at Palmer. The last two years, it hasn't been nearly as good, and I believe the water level had some influence.  It looks like we should have a decent snow pack, so I am hoping the water levels will be high again. I could also be wrong, and this isn't the cause of the change.

This May, I plan going up to Palmer, with higher water levels than any previous visit. A few days at Palmer, and then going up to Lk. Christina in BC, which is not much above the border, but east an hour or so. At least, that's the plan.
C&R, Steve

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Re: Palmer Lake
Reply #2 - 05/16/04 at 02:48:34
Quote Print Post  
Just got back from my annual trip to Palmer. Had not been there so early before (May 9-14). Water level was up, and I found fishing to be better. My best SM was 4 lb. 4 oz, if my scale calibration checks out ok. Next best was 2.5 lbs, and lots around 2 lbs.  Also got a 3 lb 1 oz LM, another about 2 lbs, and two Squawfish. Those are really short, fat and strong Squawfish over there! Not up to SM specs, but as strong as the LM, and about equal stamina. As usual, I stayed at the DNR Campground and used that launch. Weather was kinda funky, as usual. Rain and wind all Monday night and Tuesday until dark, tho the rain quit around noon.  Beautiful place, gotta love it.
C&R, Steve
Edit: Just got my scale calibration checked at the meeting last night, and it was reading 4 oz low...that makes the biggest Smallie 4 lb 8 oz, and the biggest LM to 3 lb 5oz.
« Last Edit: 05/22/04 at 23:17:35 by »  

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo