Normal Topic B.A.S.S. Western Open (Read 4995 times)
Daryl_S.
Ex Member

B.A.S.S. Western Open
09/23/03 at 14:17:02
Quote Print Post  
Chris Lambert of Capital City Bass Club won the B.A.S.S. Western Open this past weekend in Kenniwick with a 3 day total of 42 lbs. He took home $46,000 and a new boat. Four of the top five finishers were from Washington, Skeet Reese Finished Fifth

Daryl S.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: B.A.S.S. Western Open
Reply #1 - 09/23/03 at 15:36:03
Quote Print Post  
Smitty and I made an early morning trip on Saturday to check out the blast off and weigh-in... I must say that I am very impressed by Fish Fishbourne. Although he seems a little corny on TV, he really makes 2 hours of weigh-in fly by and become interesting. I can see why BASS pays him to MC.

In the middle of the day, Smitty gave me the Columbia River tour and showed me some of his old stomping grounds. We also had spent some time chatting with Byron Velvick after weigh-in. Now I am ready to steal all of their favorite spots when we fish the Tri-Cities!!! HA! Thanks, Smitty, I had a good time.

Chris

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #2 - 09/23/03 at 18:15:13
Quote Print Post  
Pretty interesting tournament.  Jeff Boyer came from 80-something on day 1 to take 16th place.  There was a pretty heavy presence of Washington anglers - most of which fared pretty well.  I like that!

But don't take the final weight of the winner as an indication that the fishing was excellent.  The majority of the daily limits were less than 10 pounds. 

Interesting note:  One angler traveled from Australia to participate!  And he took 21st place!

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/23/03 at 18:29:42
Quote Print Post  
Glenn - correction... SHE took 21st place!

Kim was very excited at the weigh-in stand. She said that she flies over separately for each BASS event.

I told Smitty that if I wasn't already happily married... NAH! I don't want a wife that could beat me in bass tournament all the time Grin Grin Grin

Chris

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/03 at 19:54:52
Quote Print Post  
Glenn, one of the main reasons for the low total weight was the constant change of river flowage.  It started at 47,000 CFS and increased each day to over 60,000 CFS, causing the fish to move each day.  The winner caught all his fish on a submerged underwater current break (12-15 ft)in the Snake River ???.  He told Chris, Byron V., and myself that the size of the spot he fished was no larger than his boat! Shocked  Addtionally, on day 2 the winds were high in the morning, causing several anglers to either not go back to their original pattern, or have difficulty fishing them in the strong wind and river currents.  A third reason, again attributed to the rising water, was that several anglers established very shallow water patterns upstream which became inundated and unfishable with the rising water level. Cry
All in all, a 2.80 lb level for 15 SMB is not bad under bluebird skys with fluctuating levels and wind. Tongue

Smitty  AKA Code Blackstar Wink

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 09/23/03 at 20:33:49
Quote Print Post  
I guess that was my point, Smitty, without getting into all the details.  But thanks for the info.  Just goes to show even under difficult conditions somebody always figures out a way to find and catch 'em.   Smiley

Chris, thanks for the correction.  Glad to see a woman so amped to fish she'll travel halfway around the world to do it!  Fortunately for me, I AM marrying somebody who can beat me in a tournament!  She already has!   Grin

IP Logged

Sean The Arkie
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/25/04 at 22:29:00
Quote Print Post  
Quote:
I told Smitty that if I wasn't already happily married... NAH! I don't want a wife that could beat me in bass tournament all the time Grin Grin Grin

Chris

You're thinking about it all wrong!

This isn't a woman who can regularly beat you at the tournaments; this is a woman who can afford to fly around the world to fish!!!!

*sniff sniff*  do you smell that?  I can smell the peacock bass in S America already.... Grin

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/28/04 at 13:55:45
Quote Print Post  
I've heard Australian women love American men too. Smitty, would you know anything about that??

IP Logged

SMITTY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/04 at 17:04:15
Quote Print Post  
As I'm now on my 3rd wife and she is definatly a keeper I have to say - "I can neither confirm or deny that statment Mr. Maglio." Lips Sealed
Moreover, any information I might be able to provide would definatly be tainted by the alchohol induced fog I was in during my R&R in Sidney in late 1967 8).
The fact that Military Police faced a herculean job in catching and returning folks to Viet Nam following their 7-day R&R visit to Austrailia might lend some credibility to that assertation. Shocked  (Not that I know anyone who fell into that catagory)  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Smitty
Wink

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/28/04 at 20:22:30
Quote Print Post  
There was another popular Australian city that started with a "D" that Marines always went to. Not Darwin though.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo