Normal Topic C.A.S.T. Event (Read 2093 times)
Rich
Ex Member

C.A.S.T. Event
09/07/03 at 17:10:55
Quote Print Post  
Went to the CAST event Saturday and it was a real kick.  Seeing those kids get to go out fishing and having a good time. 

I think some of us don't realize or just take for granted the fishing experiences from our (a long time ago for some of us) childhood.  But for these kids it is a big deal.  To just watch them getting their awards (plaques with pictures of thier "captains" and themselves) and generally just having a great time is certainly worth the one day of volunteering your time and/or your boat.

So next year give a thought to volunteering for the event.  And in the meantime "TAKE A KID FISHING".

Rich 8)

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: C.A.S.T. Event
Reply #1 - 09/07/03 at 22:47:53
Quote Print Post  
Yup  - would have loved to have gone but work called me in at the last minute.   Cry  I enjoyed the Fishing Kids event last June and was really looking forward to this event.

Glad you went and had fun.  That's what it's all about!

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/09/03 at 04:04:57
Quote Print Post  
Richard, You seem to have fun where ever you go, but I did see you having an impact on some of the kids. I think you have two good things going for you....1 you are already at eye level with the kids and easly approachable...2 I saw the kids walk, stagger,and wheel up to you and say hay wheres your legs? (like you forgot to bring them with you or something) and the conversation was on, it was just that easy.......Why do grown-ups have to make it so hard Undecided?
   Richard Thanks for coming like you said you would!! and for those that signed up and than bailed...you should have seen the looks of the kids faces that were left behind to fish from the docks. Out of the 19 kids that had to fish from the docks only two caught fish, pretty dissapointing for a lot of kids and there parents.
   You see we invite kids on the words of people that say they will show up.........but for these kids, what the HELL, whats one more dissapointment in their life of challenges!! Embarrassed Undecided Cry
   Oh P.S   Richard? are you the kid you referd about?

IP Logged

Rich
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/09/03 at 14:08:45
Quote Print Post  
VW, Easy big fella.  We all know that sometimes "stuff" happens.  I am sure that if someone didn't show up there was a good reason.  And I sincerely hope that the number that didn't was very low. 

As I said, it was sure worth giving up the day to see the "kids" have a great time.  For some it is thier only chance to get out of thier "ruts" and be a "real" person for a change.  Yes even if it was to fish from the dock.  But it was neat to see the looks on the faces of the "captains" of the boats that took kids out and got to help them catch fish.  (one kid even caught a 4#+ smallie)  As Backlash would say DOH!

And I would also like to say to Jim (the organizer) that I thought that it went pretty smooth.  The launching, the BBQ and the awards.  You have my home # and even if I ain't around in the club then please feel free to call and let me know of future events.  God willing and the creek don't rise I will be there.

And if it takes being a kid to get a backseat then YES VW, I was talking about myself Wink Grin

Rich

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo