Normal Topic columbia river ZANDER? (Read 2114 times)
marcusdxxx
Ex Member

columbia river ZANDER?
07/14/03 at 03:44:47
Quote Print Post  
what's this i have heard about people catching the eurasian percid, commonly known as ZANDER, in the lower reaches of the columbia river?   Shocked
to the uninitiated (or otherwise ignorant,) ZANDER is common to most big rivers in europe and western asia.  this "first cousin" to the walleye and sauger species is much larger...and in rivers such as the volga and danube they regularly are caught in the 30-40 pound range.  they school like yellow perch too, but they are much like wolves in that they tend to pack-feed.  they also have about the same food quality as walleye and sauger too.   Grin
now, what i have heard has yet to be substantiated with a photograph...but just hearing that there might be ZANDER in thar deepening waters might be just enough to persuade me to venture yonder to the moldy side of the mountains.  the thought of it was enough to make my heart skip a beat!  imagine the fillets you could get from a 40-pound walleye?   Shocked
...well, that's what ZANDER fishing is all about!
let's pray the rumours are true, because they prey on carp and suckers actively.   Cheesy

IP Logged

BillBrynteson
Ex Member

Re: columbia river ZANDER?
Reply #1 - 07/15/03 at 18:31:58
Quote Print Post  
Hello Marcus

Interesting topic, but I would be really surprised to find that zander have somehow found their way into the Lower Columbia. 

Logistically it would seem a little improbable without a lot of help and concerted effort.

The February issue of In-Fisherman magazine reported

"To our knowledge, no zander exist in North America, except for aquarium species."

In a follow-up article in June-July issue they reported that an article was sent to them by a Nebraska fishery scientist, Daryl Bauer.  It was from the Bismarck Tribune, reporting that an "18.5-inch fish netted from Spiritwood (lake in N. Dakota), had been confirmed by DNA testing to be a zander."

The In-Fisherman article went on to say, "Over one thousand zander were stocked in North Dakota's Spiritwood Lake, (the only known stocking in North America) more than a decade ago; we assumed their demise, based on earlier reports that years of netting by biologists had not produced a fish."

The article went to say that, "the two-year-old status of the fish suggests that natural reproduction had occured," and that the newspaper article went on to quote "North Dakota Fishery Chief Terry Steinwand saying, in effect, that logic suggests that some zander probably remain in Spiritwood, although the population is extremely small give the inability of fishery scientists to catch any of them in test nets."

Now that being said, if an individual were to get in their head to bring in an exotic it CAN be done. 

We have some very large Walleye in the Columbia and it is also possible that someone with a background (caught a zander in their youth etc) was used to catching smaller walleye and then got a big one might have got excited and thought it was a zander. 
The above folks had to use DNA testing to truly establish that the fish was a zander.

Where did you pick up on this rumor?

Anything is possible, but I am very skeptical on this one.

Welcome to the board

BillB

IP Logged

marcusdxxx
Ex Member

Re: columbia river ZANDER?
Reply #2 - 07/21/03 at 13:32:40
Quote Print Post  
Skeptical, as am I.
...But I am willing to consider the possibility, so long as the report would come with signifigant and verifiable evidence. 
In my case, though, I was merely trying to find out if anyone on here had seen or heard of anything along this matter as well.  Afterall, "fish stories" will be only fish stories until the proof is brought forth to confirm it as something more than either lore or a yarn.
Thank you for your response.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo