Normal Topic Goodwin Fishin!! (Read 1645 times)
RussBaker
Ex Member

Goodwin Fishin!!
05/22/03 at 00:17:11
Quote Print Post  
To All:

I won't be able to make it to the fishin, however I wanted to let the guys who do fish that the bite is on and someone should be able to hook at least a 5lber. I was there 2 weeks ago and caught nine Smallies from 3-4-1/2 lbs. and saw several Largemouth in the 5-8lb class cruising or on beds.

Mostly found these fish on the opposite shoreline from the boat ramp(Wenberg State Park Ramp). All were caught off of docks in three to 6 feet of water.

Also hit the south end in the bay on the right that is where I caught the biggest Smallie and saw the two 5-6lbers(Largemouth on Beds).
Russ

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Re: Goodwin Fishin!!
Reply #1 - 05/22/03 at 14:33:14
Quote Print Post  
Wink Thanks Russ, I myself have not fished this lk. before so any info should be of help. V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Re: Goodwin Fishin!!
Reply #2 - 05/22/03 at 18:10:24
Quote Print Post  
I used to fish it quite a bit, but it's been awhile.  I intend to hit it once the motor is broken in.

Russ is right, there are numerous big bass in that lake.  About 12 years ago, a 10+ pounder was caught there.  Then the lake got pounded and the fishing pressure hurt the fishery, now it's back again.  I hear 6+ pound smallies are being caught with regularity now.

Be prepared for very clear water.  It's not a very deep lake, just clear with lots of wood debris (logs) on the bottom.  There wasn't much weed growth back when I fished it, but that could've changed by now.

Also, in the north east side there's a big SHALLOW flat that's clearly marked with no wake bouys.  Those that ignore the bouys are in for a rude awakening when they sheer off their lower unit.  However, that flat and adjacent drop-offs can be very productive at times.

Also, docks ring the lake.  Skipping under them can be key to catching post-spawners.  This is Senko country, boys!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo