Normal Topic Upcoming Tournaments! (Read 1899 times)
Larry S.
Ex Member

Upcoming Tournaments!
04/11/03 at 14:57:38
Quote Print Post  
OH MAN OH MAN!
As your Tournament Director....I am supposed to be reserved...dignified...basically Level Headed............NAW!!!!! I have to say I am so jacked to get this season going, My head is just spinning.
Silver Lake Open....
Duck Lake Draw.....
Potholes Points......
Jamborree!!!
I, being someone who has been with the club for 5-7 yrs might know how to set things up but then I think....what of the new members?
So listen up folks here is what we know as I call upon all prior members to give it up....
"WHATS YOUR PREP. SHORTCUTS"
Basically what or how do you set things up or types of things do you use so folks will have some options to consider when planning for the trips up-coming.
I as for camping arrangements use a truck bed camp insert that is compartmentized, padded and carpeted. I stay very warm in cold times and cool in hot times.
I have several types of cooking options from one-two burner stoves to a bar-bee with cheapo non-stick cookwear from safeway or even the thrift store! ( taking cookwear from your kitchen can be hazardous to you Married Health!) Over the next few weeks I start buying canned food on sale such as Chili, Soups, Pop tarts...coffee creamer and Vacuum seal Meats Frozen! so as to help keep item cool in the cooler and use aBlock of ice in the cooler vs-chiped ice it keeps things cold longer and Colder longer, plus it keeps the water from sogging out your meat. Make it so as not to have to buy from the short stop stores at the resorts as they charge big prices...keep it cheap! Store Non-Perishables in Rubbermade tubs and bins that are water-heat proof....for those wanting to take advantage of the surplus MRE stocks at the military surplus store (MRE= Meals Ready to Eat) Remember they are high protein-High Calorie meal replacements and if you are not conditioned to them they can give you a massive colon blow! (Been there done that!)
How about your rig? Remember there are lots of parts stores out there who know you need a part and are willing to charge you top dollar to get it in Eastern Wash. So stock up on basic stuff such as serpentine belts...(Put a new one on your rig now and put the old one as a spare in your storage tub!) Oil. Water Antifreeze...Spark Plugs for truck and boat....As your official Tow Master......I have towed no less than 8 rigs since joining and am happy to do so, but seeing the heartache this causes when someone has to go home fishless............sucks.
Spare tires, tools...FLOOR JACKS!! Nuff said.
So just to help you plan ahead look at these tips and anyone please throw in on this one as it can be the difference between Gettin or not Gettin to the next tournament.

p.s. One word.......TARPS.

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Re: Upcoming Tournaments!
Reply #1 - 04/11/03 at 22:04:45
Quote Print Post  
To the non-floaters in this club make sure you have enough money to split your boaters cost for fuel,oil,etc.

Your boater will appreciate it and you will to when you need a boater again. Nuff said.

Larry hit it right in the bucket. Make sure you have plenty of extra water, an extra wheel bearing,seals, and grease for just in case. Change all your line from last year. oil up your reels, and don't forget the raingear and sun screen.

Russ

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/12/03 at 08:03:38
Quote Print Post  
Hi guys,

The past couple of years I have really gotten to love the dry bags I have when going to tournaments. You can find them at REI or any other similar outdoor store. Basically, they are a heavy-duty vinyl bag where the top rolls up and makes the bag completely waterproof. This gives you a lot of freedom for storing things, as it won't matter if the bag sits in a rainstorm.

I like to bring one small one for raingear, wool gloves, extra hat, sunglasses, etc. I take that in the boat with me. The small size bag for this stuff runs around $15 at REI. I have one HUGE bag I bring with all my clothes for the weekend, bathroom stuff, etc. Those bags run a bit more, around $60 at REI... but they are worth it... especially if you don't have a canopy on your truck like me!  Undecided

Ron H. had a good idea last year for tournaments. He went to the grocery store and bought a bunch of those travel size bathroom goodies, toothpaste, suntan lotion, etc. He made a tournament ditty bag that was always ready to go, and it makes packing a lot easier.

On the same note, if you want to cool off in the summer months with a shower after the tournament, bring some flip-flops!!! Call me a wuss, but we get some purty nasty shower situations sometimes Cheesy

See you at the tournaments!
Chris

P.S. Can you guys tell I'm up late with nothing to do but write long-winded responses???

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/03 at 00:52:12
Quote Print Post  
GOOD NIGHT CHRIS! Cheesy....No really, good info. I had to learn the hard way...Good job Larry for bringing it up. V-DUB-YA

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo