Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Weirdest non-fish you've ever caught (Read 6199 times)
Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Weirdest non-fish you've ever caught
10/23/02 at 15:03:00
Quote Print Post  
Everybody has done it - caught something they didn't intend to - be it a lawn chair, T-shirt, swimsuit, kitchen item, owl - we've all pulled in something and said, "What the...??" 

Personally, I've witnessed an attempt at reeling in a beaver after it swam across the line and got hooked. 

My strangest?  A cat that pounced on my lure after a bad cast on the shore.   Shocked

Yours?

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Re: Weirdest non-fish you've ever caught
Reply #1 - 10/23/02 at 21:28:05
Quote Print Post  
Well I was fishing a pond one time and caught a fishing rod and reel. I snagged the line in about 10 ft a water and pulled it in to find the combo on the end of it.

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/23/02 at 23:01:33
Quote Print Post  
Bionic Minnow!!!

Last year I was fishing Greenlake, casting a 7" Bionic Minnow - it broke off and sailed 50yards or more (using a 7'6" casting rod, with 20lb Fireline). I put on a 4" Bionic Minnow and it too broke off after a few casts!

In annoyance I switched to a crankbait and carried on casting it way out there....suddenly a hit!! I wound in and after one helluva Shocked fight I saw green Fireline on the crankbait and wound in the 7" Minnow. I kept casting to the same area and within half an hour had also caught the 4" minnow back. I still have both lures in my box!!!

IP Logged

Doug_Booth
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/24/02 at 03:01:59
Quote Print Post  
Once fishing on the Kalama for Steelhead, I made a cast and a seagull flew into my line and hooked itself.  Not much of a fight though, it went straight down to the river and I dragged him in.  He was a bit cranky when I went to unhook him.  I've caught a couple rod/reel combos.  Once I spent 5 minutes fighting what I though was a record bass that turned out to be a submerged rope on a dock.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/24/02 at 04:26:55
Quote Print Post  
I was fishing on Trout Lake in Federal Way one night with a Mann's Rat. After skimming it over some lily pads, I paused The Rat for a second, and BAM! From the sky came this big dark object... An owl hit my bait!

I was with my Dad at the time, and we both just looked at each other in amazement. Luckily I didn't set the hook Smiley , and he flew away after he figured out it wouldn't taste good.

Pretty weird!

Chris

IP Logged

RussBaker
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/24/02 at 22:37:11
Quote Print Post  
I once reeled up a fish skeleton totally in tact and in good condition. Last year I caught a loomis Imx rod complete with a shimano reel. Used it this year in all the tournaments. Just needed a little oil. Not bad, huh!!

My weirdest catch was when I was top water fishing. I thru my top water out and out of no where a bat grabbed it and the fight was on.
Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/25/02 at 05:57:17
Quote Print Post  
Hey guys-n-gals, on Long Lake in Kitsap Co., I casted a 7" flippin tail worm and heard a splash a few lily pads away and got ready for the strike.....just to fing a big (12"-14") Frog had grabbed my bait and was paddling away with it! I towed him to the boat where he let go, casted back and he did it again! Three times he did this no matter where I cast it he swam for it but did not try to eat it whole. Oh...for the gross one of the day...A friend of mine was trolling for Trout on Potholes and snagged on something about thirty ft. down in sixty ft. of water.....when they got it up it was the body of a fisherman who had fallen out of his boat and drowned a few days earlier!....EWWWWWWWW...........

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/29/02 at 04:43:08
Quote Print Post  
I've had to put some thought behind this one cuz I've caught more non-fish than I've caught fish...Let me mention just a few. 1 duck,1 goose, ? seagulls, Alaska king crabs, multiple cats (ask Larry), my own chin with a spence scout...I got pictures, one rod and reel combo, and one night night fishing with a buzz bait the water just exploded, I knew if I just wait and let the fish hook himself I would have the biggest fish I'd ever caught, so I waited...@ seconds later I just about got yanked out of my lil boat to my left, a great horned owl came down and grabed my buzz bait and flew off with it, my rod was doubled in 1/2 and I'm pulling the drag by hand so the line wouldn't break, my rod finally became streight and the buzz bait hit me in the chest, long story short, this owl got me 7 times in about 2 hundred yards of beach, It was so dark I couldn't see him coming, so I listend for him, when I heard him I would let the buzz bait sink for a second or two and than keep going, if the owl missed it would double back and get it on the rebound and fly off the other direction and  try to land in the trees with it.
   Last but not least, the all time scarriest thing I ever cought was a silky pr. of speedo's with "LARRY" monogramed on the back! Quick kids...every body out of the water.

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/30/02 at 17:07:25
Quote Print Post  
Yeah but Virgil....you still have'nt given them back! EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Undecided

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #9 - 10/30/02 at 18:25:51
Quote Print Post  
He took yours too?   Shocked

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/31/02 at 15:56:34
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys I needed that laugh today. vw

IP Logged

HOPSING
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/01/02 at 03:15:53
Quote Print Post  
Larry S,

A frog that stubborn deserves to be ate!
Atleast from the waste down!
UMMMMM, taste like chicken!

IP Logged

Rob_Maglio
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/01/02 at 07:05:31
Quote Print Post  
I think that dead body one takes em all huh!!!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/01/02 at 15:41:58
Quote Print Post  
The Frogs legs cant taste better than Virgils "Ramen-soup-pasta surprize! MMMMMMMMMMMMM.....MMMMMMMMM........GOOD! .....oh sorry Campbells.......

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/19/02 at 04:02:13
Quote Print Post  
I too have caught two seagulls, five rod and reel combos, one cat, and a mammoth bullfrog!   But the strangest thing I ever caught was on a deep diving fat-free shad as I dug up the bottom of a muddy flat.  When it reached the boat, it had a gold ring hanging from one of the treble hooks.  Wonder what the odds are ...?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo