Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Making your own lures... (Read 4445 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Making your own lures...
09/17/02 at 22:31:30
Quote Print Post  
Several of you already know that I have been experimenting in the last year or two with building my own crankbaits and pouring my own plastics.  I've caught buckets of fish on my homemade Senkos and just recently I'm having success with my Deep-diving Crankbaits (runs 33 feet deep when trolling!).  I can not tell you how exciting it is to catch a bass on something you made yourself!

I'm not here to convert anyone, but if you're looking for an excellent site to learn how to make everything from spinner baits to jigheads, plastics to cranks, etc.. then check this out!  Got questions about carving, finishing, painting, or weighting cranks - they've got the answers!

www.Tacklemaking.com

It's "lure making" forums have input from amateurs to professional lure makers.  You got a question - they got an answer.  Lots of "how-to's", even a video just came out on making your own wooden cranks.  I ordered it - will let you know how it is.

If you want to buy parts for lures, clear crankbaits (to paint your self) for 99 cents, sources for supplies, ... it's all there.  And it's fun to see lures other folks are making - from "cool" to "strange!"

Believe me, it's a great winter time hobby, and nothing will get you jazzed like a bass bustin something you made yourself!

The Rev.

IP Logged

kholmes
Ex Member

Re: Making your own lures...
Reply #1 - 09/18/02 at 13:56:50
Quote Print Post  
I have yet to dive into cranks and plastics like I would want too, but I have spent some time creating spinnerbaits using components available just about any where.  These baits are easy and fun to experiment with.  I had a favorite bug that I used exclusively on Silver Lake for many years, that is now living on the bottom of that same lake.  I spent fifteen minutes one cold April trying to recover the bug in the icy water!!  If I recall, I was SO depressed that I lost focus and jammed my trolling motor into a log just north of the state ramp.  Took another five minutes to get myself loose!! 
Anyway, I have moved on from that relationship and have had much success with other baits for other lakes.  That particular bug had a huge hammered brass Indiana (single) and a black and red skirt.  THe arm on the bug was also a bit on the long side, putting the blade well behind the hook point by about an inch.  I would break a 6" black lizard (of any make) just behind the head for a trailer.  I am not sure what this resembled to a bass, but there were many times I was the only one having success.  I have another ready for Silver, though.  The parts came from other baits, like the swivel, blade, and skirt.  In most tackle shops, you can buy blade assortments used for Walleyes and other species.  Check out the blades on some of those trout flashers like ford fenders, etc.  I have a smallie bug that has about a number 2 Indiana that I love, that I stole off of a muskie bait I bought in Nebraska some years ago.  That blade is so big, I can actually use it to pull my boat around Barker Flats.  Trust your instincts, and have some fun with it.  Remember also that sometimes, we try to make our sport too complicated.
Kirk

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/02 at 04:28:05
Quote Print Post  
Just a follow up - last Monday I was trolling an all white home-made crankbait 33 feet deep in 37 feet of water.  It hit a submerged man made piece of structure on a mud flat.   I let it climb up over the top and then paused it for a few seconds.  As I started it up again a 6# 0 oz smallie smacked it and the fight was on.  I won't get too many chances in my life to boat a 6 pounder, but it's even more sweeter when it fell to something you made yourself!!!

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #3 - 10/11/02 at 04:54:34
Quote Print Post  
A 6-pounder on your own lure?  Holy Jes.... wait... I got it, Oh My G.... ummm....     Sweet Jes....   no...   

Uhh... Jeepers Rev, that's  a pretty swell thing you did there.  It's so swell I'm swollen... oh no.... uh... Aww Hell !

IP Logged

Larry S.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/11/02 at 05:08:28
Quote Print Post  
WHOOOO .....HOOOOOOOOO!!! nice job Chuck.......Possible a wooden derrick..........good job!!!

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/17/02 at 04:26:02
Quote Print Post  
You guys are too much!!!   Cheesy

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/17/02 at 14:39:51
Quote Print Post  
nice job chuck, way to go! Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #7 - 06/04/03 at 00:30:11
Quote Print Post  
Hey Chuck,
You might want to also check out a Norwegian site at http://www.lurebuilding.nl/

Don't worry, it's all in English.

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/04/03 at 14:40:35
Quote Print Post  
6# IS A NICE SMALLIE CHUCK. What is the record smallie in the club? does anybody know?

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/05/03 at 03:16:46
Quote Print Post  
Thanks Glenn for thinking about me - I discovered that luremaking site a year ago.  As I did, I began to realize that "pike" was a major sport fish for many European countries.  Especially in the scandinavian countries.  And so most of the cranks are large and made to take some heavy duty beatings from those toothy critters.

As for the club record, there have been several 6# fish since I joined.  Infact last month - one of our members reported catching a 6# fish but he didn't have a verified scale so he didn't turn in a green slip.  I'm sure there have been some big beauties in all the years our club has been around... but you bring up a good question... is there even a way to discover the "club record" largemouth and small mouth.  I'll bet the lack of good records will make that impossible.  Anyone know?

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/05/03 at 04:00:32
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

I do have an old Western Bass Club published book called, "Bronze Back Fishing Guide" from 1968. It does a great job of listing some club history up to that point. The biggest bass caught from every year between 1938-1967 are listed, and the mama from that time frame was a 10lb 12 oz largemouth caught by M.A. Delsanter in 1949. I don't know for sure, but I would put good money on that being the biggest WBC largemouth ever caught.

Since I started doing the minutes and newsletter, I have saved all my work and put it on CD's. Hopefully the person following me will take the data and keep a library going. I would like to see better record-keeping myself. It is just fun to look at!

Chris

IP Logged

virgilw
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/06/03 at 14:51:50
Quote Print Post  
??? Thanks guys....How bout smallies? Undecided

IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #12 - 06/06/03 at 18:29:30
Quote Print Post  
I know there's been a few 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 pounders taken from Palmer lake in the distant past, but I'm not sure of the exact weight.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo