Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Locked Topic 2022 Tournament NON BOATERS INFO (Read 564 times)
5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

2022 Tournament NON BOATERS INFO
03/15/22 at 05:57:42

Hola Amigos. I did a little blurb about items to remember as a boater recently, so, here are the non-boater tips. Firstly, etiquette. A few "dont's". These are all things that happen every year. Don't bring ALL of your tackle or rods. Generally, 3 or 4 rods and 1 tackle bag is what a boater "expects" you to bring and anymore than that may end up causing grief. Talk to your partner and ask what you're gonna be doing. If he says we're going shallow in the dunes, leave all your deep diving crankbaits at home to give more space for your Senkos and flippin jigs. That also helps you with rod choice. Bring your flippin stick and heavier spinning rod but leave your finesse stuff at home. Will he have a extra life vest for you? Don't step on the seats or the shiny parts of the boat. If you smoke, ask him if it's ok.
An old WBC member from years past used to have a sticker on his glove box that said "this boat dont run on thanks". Don't forget to offer to help with expenses. A typical Tournament to, let's say Potholes, at the current rate of $!@%&! $5.00/gal+, with camping, boat and truck gas, food and entry fees to the tourney (for the boater) will cost somewhere around $400-500. You offering $20 isn't going to be anything other than that being your last invite. Trust me, I've seen it happen and news travels fast. I will generally not even take money as I'd be going whether I have someone with me or not, however, now that gas prices have doubled, I'm gonna have to reconsider that. Enough don'ts for now, though there are plenty more. Do's: do be understanding.  Not everyone wins every tournament. If you and your partner aren't "killing em", be patient and enjoy the experience.  What you did 4 years ago from a kayak while on family vacation in the summer will not always work. I had a non-boater once, when the day was exactly 1/2 over say "Ok, my turn". What? He thought that he got to take control, including driving my boat, for the 2nd half of the day... Hahaha. Ummmm, not gonna happen. Anyway... Do offer to help launch and load. Do ask, before you go running off at the end of the day, "is there anything else I can do?". Most guys in WBC are pretty cool. Laid back. Very few will get their panties in a wad if you make a mistake. If you're uncertain about something,  ask. Remember, ALL of us at some point were new to this. It can be nerve racking if you're not familiar with the process, but, IT IS A BLAST, which is why we all continue to do it. Feel free to reach out to me or any other Board members with questions.  We'd all be glad to help. Tight lines all and good luck at the 1st Tourney... Cool
« Last Edit: 09/21/23 at 08:39:22 by Darren Thomas »  

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo