Normal Topic hull ID plates (Read 2540 times)
Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

hull ID plates
04/15/17 at 09:26:41
Quote Print Post  
Effective January 1, 2017, the Washington State Department of Licensing was required to comply with Coast Guard regulations requiring that all state titled vessels have a 12-character hull identification number (HIN) that conforms to federal standards. These standards are outlined in 33 CFR 181.25, Hull Identification Number Format, in the Coast Guard, Department of Homeland Security code of federal regulations. You may also find the allowable HIN formats at www.dol.wa.gov.

If your HIN is not compliant, at your next transaction including renewing your vessel registration, you will be required to visit a Vehicle Licensing Office and be issued a new Certificate of Ownership with a compliant HIN. You will not be able to renew online. There will be no titling fees assessed if the title transaction is solely due to the issuance of a compliant HIN. You may locate your nearest office by visiting www.dol.wa.gov.

If the affixed HIN is different than that listed on the title and complies with federal standards, please bring a photo or rubbing of the affixed HIN for your record to be updated. Your vessel record will be updated at no charge and a new HIN will not be issued.

Two identical HINs must be permanently affixed to your vessel in accordance with 33 CFR 181.29, Hull Identification Number Display. You will be required to attest that the HIN has been permanently affixed to your vessel at each subsequent registration renewal. The details of this section of the CFR are provided here. It is recommended that the original HIN should not be removed, covered up or otherwise defaced/obliterated from the vessel’s hull, but that the assigned HIN should be applied adjacent to the original HIN.

Please contact the DOL Customer Service Center at CustomerCare@dol.wa.gov or (360) 902-3770 if you have any questions

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Dano
WBC Member

Re: hull ID plates
Reply #1 - 04/16/17 at 20:39:20
Quote Print Post  
Thanks for the heads up Rodney. After looking on the their web site it looks like Washington state has been in compliance with the HIN#'s for registration's since the 80's. It looks like the only big deal for some guys would be having the 2nd copie of the HIN# that's mounted in an unseen area of the interior of the boat. I have been all though my boat this winter and I'm pretty sure mine only has it on the transom. It seemed like no big deal at first but after thinking about it more it would be a good idea to have a 2nd one for theft purposes.  Did you run into a problem registering your boat or did you just post this for a FYI?

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Re: hull ID plates
Reply #2 - 04/16/17 at 21:22:01
Quote Print Post  
Posted for FYI.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo