Normal Topic Etiquette as non boaters (Read 3713 times)
5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Etiquette as non boaters
03/20/17 at 06:35:56
Quote Print Post  
This is something that nobody really likes to discuss but, I'm volunteering to mention it all again. First, understand that the boat you are fishing in does not belong to you. You haven't paid for it, paid the bills, registration, boat launch fees, extra fuel to drag it to the lake, store it, etc. Please be mindful of that. I heard a perpetual non-boater in the club years ago argue that "the day is half over so it's my turn to drive and decide where we fish".  That will not happen. I guess if you were willing to pay for ALL the aforementioned costs, you could make that argument but, there are only about 5 people in the whole world I would give that responsibility to and 4 of those are relatives. If after 4 hours, neither you or the boat owner haven got a fish, you may SUGGEST the location and technique you caught them 3 months ago, but, questioning the boater may get you a quick ride back to the dock. Consider going out with someone a privilege. Which brings me to another point. Boat gas!  It's not free and you, as the non boater, should help split that expense. If you are at a local fish-in, $20-30 is about right. A weekend trip to Potholes or Banks, expect to kick out at least $100. If you can't afford it, make sure you tell your potential partner long before the trip to give him an opportunity to find someone else. I generally, if I've enjoyed the company won't even accept it as I had the plans of going whether alone or not, but, many guys spend ALL the play money they have to go and expect help.  One member of our club years ago had a sticker that said "this boat doesn't run on Thanks". Think about it, it's sure not free for the boater, so, why should it be free for you?  DO NOT bring TOO MUCH Sh-t! No boater is impressed when you bring 12 rods or 3 tackle boxes. Leave 90% of your gear at home. A good rule is to think about the airport. ALL of your crap has to fit in a small carry on compartment. Which is about what most boaters will have available to you. One compartment. My little boat is 17' and there is no room for an ice chest, 12 rods, 3 tackle boxes, rain gear and your collection of Tupperware. I've been in WBC for 20 years. To really fit in and have plenty of opportunities to be invited out again, follow the above. It will solidify your chances. If you break something, PLAN on paying for it. Help out when launching. Buy the guy a Pepsi or lunch when you stop for gas, etc. Don't step on anything shiny, with glitter or the seats. The word that travels around the boaters is way faster than the boat you don't have, so, don't think that if you quietly walk away and not offer up your hard earned money that boater won't tell the others. Believe me, I've seen it happen. You start calling around looking for an open back seat and "everyone is bringing a buddy". Tight lines everyone and see you in a couple weeks.....
« Last Edit: 03/20/17 at 19:05:39 by 5dinks »  

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Re: Etiquette as non boaters
Reply #1 - 03/20/17 at 09:07:26
Quote Print Post  
Team Ass Pocket represent !

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Terry
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 03/20/17 at 14:47:17
Quote Print Post  
Tactful as usual:)  Love ya man! Wink

Team A$$pocket!!"
Old Paid For Boat" pro staff

IP Logged

bukowskicw
WBC Board Member

Reply #3 - 03/20/17 at 15:00:03
Quote Print Post  
Nicely said Don!  This was one of the reasons I joined WBC versus several others.  People generally respect one another, share great knowledge (save the few "secret" honey holes), and generally all pitch in and help out whenever they can.  Always proud to say I am a member of WBC!

Craig Bukowski
206-234-9362

IP Logged

karl7feet
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/17 at 19:33:02
Quote Print Post  
I agree with Don about the whole approach a non-boater needs to take when he's lucky enough to spend time on someone else's boat.

I give people $50 a day for a full day on the water, tournament or otherwise.  It costs quite bit of money to buy, maintain and buy fuel for a boat, so $50 a day isn't much.  If I happen to break something on someone's boat, or knock something of theirs into the water, I pay them a good price for their damaged or lost equipment. 

Think how you would want to be treated and let that be your guide.

IP Logged

Elway4lyfe
WBC Board Member
WBC Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/17 at 21:32:09
Quote Print Post  
Honesty is best policy. That post was on point. I'll add some like to fish by themselves too time to time as myself once in a while.  So dont take offense. And some wont charge a thing or very little. But be prepared to chip in regardless.  Great thorough honest post don. 

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #6 - 03/20/17 at 21:35:57
Quote Print Post  
Well said!
When it comes to casting, draw a line across the boat just behind the driver's counsel. Everything to the front and extended out of that line belongs to the boater.  Don't cast across your boater or in front of him.  Select baits and techniques that will not hinder your boater, for example the boater is power fishing fast and throwing a spinner bait. For you to use a finesse technique such as drop shot will not work, choose a rattle trap or a  flat sided crank bait or one designed for speed, or a slightly different spinner bait. Pay attention to where I cast, I want you to catch fish to and will give that opportunity by not hitting all the key spots. Many times I've said heading into narrow spot everything on the port side is yours. Even though we may be competing we can cover water faster by working as a team. Communication is the key to a good day. Learn from each other and have fun.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Mark B
WBC Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - 03/21/17 at 17:09:21
Quote Print Post  
Well said Don.  Great post and knowledge share.

I will also say, Don and I fished ABA together last year.  He personally practices what he preaches!

Don always has a seat on my boat when needed based upon how he does things.

Smiley

IP Logged

NineFingerFury
WBC Member

Fish on!

Reply #8 - 03/21/17 at 18:30:00
Quote Print Post  
That's been my philosophy as a backseater. Good post.

IP Logged

Ernest
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/17 at 22:00:48
Quote Print Post  
Don,

Excellent post and good responses. I look forward to the 2017 WBC tournaments. See you’ll on the water.

Smiley

Ernest

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo