Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Crankbaits (Read 10728 times)
NineFingerFury
WBC Member

Fish on!

Crankbaits
01/22/17 at 16:43:34
Quote Print Post  
First off, I know there's an almost 10-year-old post here about crankbaits, but I figure things may have changed.

I have zero confidence in crankbaits (because I only have 1 and almost never use it!).

If you had to pick 3 crankbaits, which would you choose? One shallow, one mid, one deep. Brand, size, color?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Elway4lyfe
WBC Board Member
WBC Member

Re: Crankbaits
Reply #1 - 01/22/17 at 19:42:57
Quote Print Post  
Personaly crawdad or silver

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #2 - 01/22/17 at 20:35:14
Quote Print Post  
Norman deep divers in red craw, fire tiger, shad patterns have done well for me. Bomber model A's in medium to deep divers are good too. Chrome with blue back Rattle traps are a must.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Reply #3 - 01/22/17 at 21:27:23
Quote Print Post  
Something I learned a long time ago was 75% of lures are designed to attract the fisherman, not the fish. I love using crank baits and have probably 100 of them.  All depths but ALL natural colors.  I've never seen a lime green fish in the water, although one of my favorite RattlTraps is "fire tiger".  Banging a craw dad color crankbait against the rocks in 8-12 ft of water can be a great pattern in nearly any lake from spring thru fall. My opinion of course....

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

bradpjohnson
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #4 - 01/22/17 at 21:47:48
Quote Print Post  
Jackall cherry, strike king kvd 8.0, and strike king 6xd.  Perch, chartreuse perch, and brown crawfish.

IP Logged

DrFish
WBC Member

Thanks WBC!

Reply #5 - 01/22/17 at 22:03:32
Quote Print Post  
Brad's choices accurately reflect what most pros recommend for clear water...match the hatch, as it were, and imitate the baitfish colors.  Most of the popular brands Rapala, Storm, Bomber, Norman, etc have shallow, mid-depth, and deep runners. Pick a brand you like and get one of each.
Rattletraps can be fished at several depths if you take the time to learn their sink rate and your retrieve speed.

IP Logged

Tiger Shark
WBC Member

Bigfoot stole my wallet.

Reply #6 - 01/22/17 at 22:13:24
Quote Print Post  
My favorite is Rapala DT 10 and DT 16. Colors are Ikes Demon and bluegill.

IP Logged

Elway4lyfe
WBC Board Member
WBC Member

Reply #7 - 01/23/17 at 19:10:59
Quote Print Post  
5dinks wrote on 01/22/17 at 21:27:23:
Something I learned a long time ago was 75% of lures are designed to attract the fisherman, not the fish. I love using crank baits and have probably 100 of them.  All depths but ALL natural colors.  I've never seen a lime green fish in the water, although one of my favorite RattlTraps is "fire tiger".  Banging a craw dad color crankbait against the rocks in 8-12 ft of water can be a great pattern in nearly any lake from spring thru fall. My opinion of course....

Along these lines. Im not huge on color, I think its more about what action they want. Rather jig, worm, crainkbait

IP Logged

NineFingerFury
WBC Member

Fish on!

Reply #8 - 01/23/17 at 19:17:19
Quote Print Post  
Thanks guys!

IP Logged

Dano
WBC Member

Reply #9 - 01/23/17 at 23:49:50
Quote Print Post  
Well, i should be embarrassed but i have learned from teaching my trade to new guys that there is never a dumb question if you just dont know and Brad hasn't had a chanch to to teach me anything about crank baits yet. Hell, i dont event know what one looks like yet. Lol. So my question is when is the best time to use one and where? Docks, banks, ect....?

IP Logged

5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Reply #10 - 01/24/17 at 19:42:44
Quote Print Post  
Dano, here is my 2 cents, whether you want it or not. I never used to own a rod that was specified as a "crankbait rod".  It seemed like the only time I used one was when nothing else was working. Now, I use them whenever I'm catching fish in 20' or less. They are excellent "search" baits when you either haven't been to the lake in a while or if you've never been there. I found that the aggressive fish in an area can be caught quickly with them and you can cover ALOT of water quickly. Once you feel confident you have caught all the quick fish, then change to a slower presentation to get the finicky ones. A good, soft tip 7' (+) rod is best and the fish will usually hook themselves (you don't want to rip hard to set the hook). I'd be glad to meet you out on Lk Washington in the near future and show you how I do it.  They do work Smiley

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #11 - 01/24/17 at 19:50:25
Quote Print Post  
I have confidence in deep diving crawfish crankbaits in the pre-spawn when water temps are 48 - 50 degrees plus. I target the areas just outside the spawning areas near the drop offs. If the crankbait isn't hitting bottom go with a deeper diver or football head jig with a plastic swimbait on it an be ticking bottom and moving. Some days they like it slow and others a bit more speed triggers the bite.

Had success with square bills this last fall on Kapowsin reelling slow and grinding those stumps.  Was pleased to learn they are really quite snagless when worked slowly over cover.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Dano
WBC Member

Reply #12 - 01/29/17 at 17:11:45
Quote Print Post  
Thank you for sharing your experiences with them guys. I might take you up on that 5dinks if i get some free time. Thank you very much for your offer.

IP Logged

NineFingerFury
WBC Member

Fish on!

Reply #13 - 01/29/17 at 20:19:56
Quote Print Post  
Used up my gift card at Bass Pro Shops today. Maybe it's just me, but their selection seems to have narrowed down since I was there last Fall. Here's what I ended up with for cranks...

2 KVD 2.5's - Green Tomato and Chartreuse Perch
KVD 6XD - Chart Belly Craw
Strike King Red Eye Chad 1/2oz - Bluegill
Rapala DT-10 - Demon

Looking forward to trying them all out soon!

bps.jpg ( 179 KB | 307 Downloads )
bps.jpg

IP Logged

Darren Thomas
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Common sense isn't so
common anymore.

Reply #14 - 01/30/17 at 08:35:49
Quote Print Post  
I have to admit my confidence with crank baits is very low. I rarely throw one because of that lack of confidence. I have quite a few in natural perch and craw colors but have never had luck. I have had some luck with a jerk bait though. I wonder if we should schedule a fish-in or maybe just an unofficial gathering to get a bunch of us out there with folks that have confidence in crank baits so we can spread that confidence out a bit.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo