Normal Topic What Line & Technique to use with baitcast combo (Read 3664 times)
TimWard
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

What Line & Technique to use with baitcast combo
04/13/16 at 18:54:56
Quote Print Post  
Hey folks,

Everyone has an opinion and I would like to hear yours.  a few weeks ago I won a Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blade Micro 7' Medium Fast rod and Bionic Plus 6.3:1 reel.  The rod has micro guides and is rated for 1/4 - 5/8 oz lures and 8 - 17 lb line.  The reel is rated for 10 - 14 lb mono and 30 - 50 lb braid.  So my questions are what technique(s) do you feel are best suited to this combo, why and what type and weight of line should I spool it with.

I am looking forward to seeing how the discussion goes on this.

Thanks,

Tim

IP Logged

Elway4lyfe
WBC Board Member
WBC Member

Re: What Line & Technique to use with baitcast combo
Reply #1 - 04/13/16 at 20:12:03
Quote Print Post  
lol I am old school. With baitcasters I go 10-12 mono unless heavy cover ie texas rig or big jig. Than I go braid 20lb. Those guides are supposed to be great for sensitivity and casting length. I have one spinning rod with them. I thought it was weird. Now I love it!

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #2 - 04/14/16 at 08:02:20
Quote Print Post  
Sound like a good Spinnerbait or Texas rigged plastics combo.... 12-14 for Spinnerbait and 12 lb for plastics.. I would stay at 30 lb braid as the rod strength would give long before the 30.

IP Logged

5dinks
WBC Board Member

2nd place is 1st LOSER!

Reply #3 - 04/15/16 at 02:17:04
Quote Print Post  
I for one am a mono only fisherman. I see guys struggle with braid, flouro and all the new fangled stuff. I know the sensitivity of braid is amazing (I have tried it, many times) but it's a pain IMO. 12 lb for baitcasters and 8 on spinning (except Chelan I go to 6 lb cuz it's so friggin clear). My "flipping stick" gets 25 #.  As far as brand, Bass Pro Shops Excel has always been my choice. Again, you can spend 3 times as much money on "name brands" but I don't see the benefit, I know, I've tried em all.  My two cents.  Lips Sealed

Sponsors:    One of the 5 original members of Team Ass Pocket, New truck, 2nd hand Triton boat (Thanks Willie at NIXONS MARINE), used truck camper with used F150 (everything is paid for), misc rods and reels, endorsed by MY WIFE and sponsored by a 9-5 job.

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Reply #4 - 04/15/16 at 10:48:30
Quote Print Post  
It's a very versatile rod, weightless senko up to small swim jigs, spinner bait, buzz bait, crankbait, rattle traps. Berkley Big Game 15 lb line is a versatile mono l like.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo