Normal Topic Tournament or Traveler Fishing Trip Prep List. (Read 2181 times)
Larry S.
Board Moderator

Tournament or Traveler Fishing Trip Prep List.
03/09/16 at 09:55:08
Quote Print Post  
As we approach the start of another year with this great club it is about time to get things in order and consolidating our gear.
The tackle has been bought....the reservations made but now comes possibly the most important prep of your season..... lets get started...

1). Insurance for truck/boat...
Boaters must have insurance with documentation of such in the amounts of $100,000-$300,000 for the average tournament boat above 50 HP this gives you the confidence to hit the water and protect yourself, your co-angler and the others on the water. Averages for this coverage are around $200-$350 per year.
2). Spring tune up. By having your boat tuned up in Spring before the big rush you can ensure your water pump impeller and the fluids are fresh and if any issues are present, to get them addressed before you start traveling the state. A spare propeller is a mandatory especially when going to Potholes and Silver lake!!
3). Stock up on supplies. I try to buy Outboard Oil by the case just to ensure I have enough for the first part of the year and also a spare set of plugs and a spare fuel line kit.... trying to find one on a weekend, in Eastern Wa. can ruin a trip quickly.
4). Back Up Parts for Trolling Motor. I personally have a spare trolling motor that I bring on all trips as I have a spare but if that is not an option then stock up on trolling motor props and hardware, actuator switches, and pull rope material... Trolling Motor failures have the highest rate of trip cancellation that I have seen folks suffer so having replacement parts is a big plus.
5). Emergency Repair Kit. Having a container(s) with numerous things needed both on the boat and the truck can save a trip.... Fuses!! look at your boat/Truck fuse panel and buy the necessary fuses for both and place them in a ZipLoc bag easy marked TRUCK or BOAT this will eliminate confusion.... Duct tape and Electrical tape...nuff said... Extra Tail Light for the trailer.... boat launches can become Demolition Derbies so having and extra can get you home without a ticket... Zip Ties!!! big and small sizes..... WD40 to help break loose rusty bolts, stop irritating squeak's.
6). Tool Boxes for Truck and Boat.
Make sure the boat kit has a Prop Wrench!! Going to include Truck Jacks either bottle jacks or floor Jacks... nothing like getting of the road and blowing a tire only to find you cannot jack p the truck/trailer..... also some Cribbing to give some support on the road shoulder! Have you checked your Spare Tires recently??? This would be a good time to get it looked at, cleaned up and ensure the right pressures!!
7). Fire Extinguisher's and First Aid Kits. For the boat make sure your First Aid Kits have Side Cutter Pliers and Ibuprofen other Pain Swelling reducers... Get a Treble Hook or two imbedded in your hand and it will be a great investment!!! Signal Flares within expiration and Alert tool... ie: whistle/air horn.

This list seems kind of lengthy but if these items are gathered gradually then you shall be fine... Prioritize with emergency gear first and go from there.....
If anyone has any additional info or items feel free to jot them down here...

NEXT UP.... CAMPING RIG OPTIONS... GET YOUR RIGS PICTURES READY!!!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: 03/10/16 at 16:22:13 by Larry S. »  

IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Re: Tournament or Traveler Fishing Trip Prep List.
Reply #1 - 03/10/16 at 14:45:02
Quote Print Post  
Nicely done Larry! I would only add - check the dates on your signal flares and replace if expired.

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #2 - 03/10/16 at 16:20:17
Quote Print Post  
Adding it to the list... Thanks!!

IP Logged

StuK
WBC Member

Lund Boats

Reply #3 - 05/11/21 at 09:51:36
Quote Print Post  
Bump!

LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo