Normal Topic Dirty Livewell (Read 3232 times)
bassparagus
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

I'm the reason why fish
don't sleep.

Dirty Livewell
07/22/12 at 15:29:48
Quote Print Post  
My Livewell has become kinda gunky from stuff fish have been regurgitating. And a big trout my brother caught that he kept ditched all her eggs in there. I figure I probably shouldn't use conventional dish soap because it leaves a residue that mite be harmful to the fish.

How do you guys clean your livewells?

I've done it before with just water but I wanna make it look like new if possible.

Thanks any input would be nice.
Cool

IP Logged

Rodney H
WBC Member

Why must I work!

Re: Dirty Livewell
Reply #1 - 07/22/12 at 17:21:11
Quote Print Post  
I've used Simple Green for the first round of cleaning, flushed well. Then used diluted vinegar, run the pumps to circulate well. Flushed with fresh water and left livewell lids open to air out and dry well.

G3 Boats, A Yamaha Boat Company, HP180
AIM  
IP Logged

Glenn_May
WBC Member

Reply #2 - 07/22/12 at 23:56:47
Quote Print Post  
A past member and former club president wrote this article: http://www.westernbassclub.com/livewell1a.html

The people that hate you, don’t know you.  They dislike the funhouse mirror image they have of you.
IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/23/12 at 00:59:53
Quote Print Post  
Thats a good mention about the slime and stuff being an open peatree dish for bacterial growth. Then you drop your first fish without cleaning it out. Maybe the night before a tournament is a good time to give a good cleaning and disinfecting before fish storage the next day.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #4 - 07/24/12 at 04:50:16
Quote Print Post  
Good question Dan.  It seems year after year my livewell see's less fish, but mine is so overdue for a cleaning.   I hope my fish aren't going back in worse shape  Shocked

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/12 at 05:15:47
Quote Print Post  
I fill them up a put a little bit of bleach in them.  I will run the pumps for about 5 minutes, then drain and let air dry.  Seems to work so far.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo