Normal Topic Greetings from Coeur d'Alene, ID (Read 5197 times)
BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Greetings from Coeur d'Alene, ID
05/11/09 at 02:27:26
Quote Print Post  
We headed to Coeur d'Alene, ID on 5/3/09 Sunday My first time there.Yes I know that I missed the Moses Lake tournament & I know the weather was perfect & I bet you all knocked them dead But this was on the books long before.
Monday the weather was great no wind 62. I was waiting for friends to show up & we were going to fish Tuesday but we changed & went that day at noon because a big storm was rolling in Tuesday. Got to the Chain lakes around 2pm water temp was 58 by 4pm I had 5 fish all around 2-3lbs nothing huge My friend who had never bass fished had 1 about 1.5lb & a 26inch northern pike. The fish were very aggressive hitting baits on the fall chasing spinner baits.
Tuesday I could not fish 30mph winds & rain
Wednesday was calm & cold cloudy water temps were down to 52 at best I had to slow way down with a jig in deep water to get bit I got 8 fish that day best ones a 5.5 3.6 & a 3.2 rest we around 2lb 2 of the fish had state tags.
Thursday was windy & colder I launched & left after about 20min of fishing getting pelted with hail & 20mph gust was not fun fishing to me
Friday was so so weather but it was improving at the end of the day I took Pam & Rebecca out that day they got 0 but I got 6 fish best was a 3.6 also got a 2.5 that had a tag so 3tags for me  Grin
Saturday was so nice but we had plans to go to the silver wood amusement park so I had to put my fishing dreams on hold.
Sunday I had to drive home looking at all the great water with sun and no wind  Cry
So here is the real bummer of the trip the first day I noticed a misfire in the boat each day it was getting worse by Friday it was real bad so that was stopping me from going to a lot of the lake because I did not know if the boat would cut out & I would stranded. I had no problems with the boat before  & I had tested it on the Friday before we left We got gas at the Costco in town I wonder if I got some water in the tank.
One thing I can say is Lake Coeur d'Alene is awesome even with all the bad weather  drop in water temps my limited fishing skills & lack of lake knowledge it still kicked out quality fish.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Re: Greetings from Coeur d'Alene, ID
Reply #1 - 05/11/09 at 13:49:54
Quote Print Post  
Very nice report.

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #2 - 05/11/09 at 14:04:30
Quote Print Post  
Nice writeup John with one note. Shocked  You haven't missed the Moses Lake "T". Cool  It's this weekend.  so bring your sputtering engine over and fish with us on Saturday and Sunday.

Smitty Wink

AKA Dune Hopper

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #3 - 05/11/09 at 16:37:43
Quote Print Post  
Ha thats funny I have been so busy I got my dates crossed up.  Grin I allmost stopped on the way back to see the weight in. That would have been weird looking around for you guys Bueller,Bueller,Bueller

IP Logged

Flippin Technician
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/09 at 16:41:24
Quote Print Post  
Great looking fish. I am curious has anyone ever caught a Bass in the State of Washington that had a tag from our Dept. of Fisheries? I caught a couple that were tagged in Lake Washington a few years back but they were not tagged by the state. They were tagged by a private individual. Is Washington the only state besides Alaska that does little or next to nothing to really help the Bass fishery? Wondering how much better the fishing could be here with some better participation from the Fisheries Department we all pay for.

IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #5 - 05/11/09 at 17:02:18
Quote Print Post  
Tags in this State no way we only have Trout lakes here.

IP Logged

Sarge
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/11/09 at 17:46:57
Quote Print Post  
I would give the state a lot more credit for the work they have done with warmwater fisheries in this state. Considering that the warmwater program has had a relatively low budget compared to other fish and wildlife programs, they have been very productive. At the link below are a smattering of reports and management recommendations produced by the program:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/warmwater/reports.htm (there are more, but they aren't all online)

Regarding Lake Washington, WDFW spent at least a couple of seasons (around 2004-2006?) tagging hundreds of smallmouth caught during tournaments. The biologists were a very visible presence and I have caught at a least a dozen state-tagged smallmouth over the past years. During that time, the state also sponsored a HUGE electrofishing survey on the lake to get a better idea of the fish distribution in Lake Washington.

Remember a couple of things with warmwater fisheries management in our state:
1) As a club that fishes a lot of large lakes and reservoirs, we don't notice that the state does a lot of work in smaller lakes. Large lakes and reservoirs are extremely difficult to change with regulations, especially when one of the major user components includes catch and release anglers. Typically, natural cycles are going to control warmwater populations in large lakes more than state management.

2) There are only a couple of "teams" of 3 or 4 people that typically work on warmwater fisheries projects every year. They are extremely busy just collecting data, let alone making sure that data is reported properly and information distributed to the public.

Oh... and...

3) Our tournament weights are better than ever the past 5 to 10 years. I like the state of our bass fisheries right now!

Of course, there is still room to discuss whether more money should go to warmwater fisheries management in our state. My main point is that our warmwater teams in this state do a lot with a little, and I think they should be commended. Read the reports on the link above, you might learn something about a local lake. I worked with those teams for two summers while I was going through school, and they work their tails off. Long, late hours and little pay compared to other professions.

Sorry to take the thread to a different topic. If any one wants to continue this conversation, it would probably be best to start a new topic.

Chris

IP Logged

gotfive
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/12/09 at 14:21:01
Quote Print Post  
I have caught at least five tagged fish from Banks, Moses, and Potholes.

IP Logged

Jack
Forum Member

Reply #8 - 05/13/09 at 00:15:27
Quote Print Post  
I got a tagged largemouth at the frosbite 4 years ago.  We weren't allowed to keep them that year. Dang it, was about 3.5 lbs.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo