Normal Topic *Opening Day* Long Lake (Read 1083 times)
Nick-Barr
Ex Member

*Opening Day* Long Lake
04/29/08 at 02:27:57
Quote Print Post  
Opening Day:

It has been kind of a tradition for me to go out on Long Lake in Thurston County for opening day. It seems that now, there are not nearly as many boats out on the water because nobody want to go on opening day due to the crowds. There was only about 10-15 boats out, I was the only bass boat out there. So Friday, I launch the Legend and park it at a friends house. Next morning I show up about 6:00AM. Its below freezing and I get greeted with a bunch of Ice. Water temp at 52F I have 2 things in mind for fishing strategies.
-I NEED TO LEARN SWIMBAITS (Threw for 75% of day) (Lake stocked with nearly 30,000 trout
-Fish are in Prespawn, so go deep then try shallow. (Nothing deeper, ALL my fish were extremely shallow)

I tried the Swimbait all day, nothing. I threw everything from a KGM TW Swimmer, Castiac, Optimum. Nothing at ALL
-STILL NEED TO LEARN SWIMBAITS!!!

9:30AM Caught a 2.5 LM Flippin a Jig into a tule berm
10AM Caught  a 3.5 LM on Chatterbait in Dollar Pad Field
(START OF HUGE HEADACHE)
1:30 PM, Catch a 3 LM flippin Jig in VERY shallow Brush
2:00 Catch a 4 LM on Jig, dock and brush (Fish kicked my butt, wrapped up in trees and around docks, took about 6 Minutes to get back the 15 Feet of line.
3:30 Large LM comes off in deep Tulles
3:45 Catch a 4 LM off shallow dock on jig
4:30 About a 5 LM, knot breaks not on hookset (My stupid mistake, did not retie after catching all these fish) I go up to the dock and can see this 5 lb. LM swimming around with this jig in its lip.

Overall 5/7  Roughly 17 lbs. for 5 fish (HAD opportunity for much more)
Water Temp: 54-56
Weather: Clear Skies and Got warm at the late part of the day.
Jig Gear GEAR: -Lamiglas "XMG 50" 705
         -Trion spooled w/ 20 Lb. Gamma Flouro
         -Black and Blue Strike King Jig Tipped w/ GYCB Flappin Hog Trailer

Chatterbait Gear: -Lamiglas Certified Pro 664
                         -TICA Caiman w/ 12 lb. Gamma Co-Polymer
                         -Gambler Swim Blade Black and Blue

PICTURE IS ONLY OF SMALLER 2 Fish, larger 3 fish caught after I dropped my buddies off.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.phpfile=141770

I LOVE IT when all the trout guys were complaining about how bad the fishing was when it was the best day of fishing for me this year. These smaller lakes are really some of the hidden gems and fun lakes to fish. Though it did come to my surprise that when I was loading my boat next to a Sheriff, WDFW Officer, WDFW Reporter and I made it obvious I was under 21 and I did not have my Parking Permit on mirror , they looked at me once and went on talking.

So the state wants me to take a home study safety program, cost me $25 and 9 months and 5 calls later get the boaters safety education card. BUT I DONT EVEN GET CHECKED FOR ONE!!! I was pretty dissapointed. I was hoping to get checked so at least I had confidence that what I had to go through, actually was helping.

ALSO, they should be writing tickets for all the AVIVA FISHING BUDDY usage. I am sorry, they might be cool for little kids, but there were at least 8 Adults fishing with a Rod and then fishing with this "as seen on TV" "motorized fishing boat". I cannot believe that people actually have bought those things for themselves when they are 30+ years old.

SORRY FOR THE RANT, but had to get it out.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo