Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pick one... (Read 8596 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

Pick one...
03/03/08 at 05:42:31
Quote Print Post  
I have a a theory, as to what lures are probably at the bottom of most angler's favorit arsenal list.  But I'd like to test it.  

So do me a favor, list the following (#1,2,3,4,5) as to your "confidence level" in each:  crankbaits, topwater, plastics, jigs, spinnerbaits.    (No ties - list them 1-5, with 1 as your most confident technique, 5 as your least.)

Then do me a favor, whatever is at the bottom of your list - tell me why.   I'm curious about the mental challenges anglers deal with as they gain or don't gain confidence in certain lures.

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Re: Pick one...
Reply #1 - 03/03/08 at 05:54:28
Quote Print Post  
Tough one, Rev. I think these might rank differently for me at different times and places, but I'll try to rank by my average feeling:

1) Plastics
2) Jigs
3) Crankbaits
4) Spinnerbaits
5) Topwater

Even though I love fishing topwater and do it all the time, I give up on it easily if I'm not getting bites because I feel like I should be covering more of the water column to figure out where the fish are. I think that can be a bad mistake, though, because topwater seems to catch really big fish sometimes when nothing else will work.

When I do feel like there is a reaction bite, sometimes I will buzz a spinnerbait like a topwater and then make casts over the same area letting the spinnerbait run deeper. This has worked pretty well for me over the past few years, especially on clear, smallmouth reservoirs in the summer.

IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/08 at 06:00:46
Quote Print Post  
1. Plastics
2. Spinnerbaits
3. Jigs
4. Crankbaits
5. Topwater

I am making it a point to get my crankbait confidence up quite a bit this year.

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 03/03/08 at 15:58:39
Quote Print Post  
1. Plastics
2. Jigs
3. Spinnerbaits
4. Topwater
5. Crankbaits

I don't have as much confidence in Cranks, but thats probably due to the fact that I don't use them often enough.  I've tryed the rev rig in winter without fish, that will get you frustrated. 

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

BassAholic
Forum Member

Fords don't float !

Reply #4 - 03/03/08 at 18:20:50
Quote Print Post  
Just put me down for exactly what Chris said. But for me its all about not wearing my self out & tossing a crank bait 600 times makes my neck hurt. Slow & go saves the old bones.

Fish like you are retired!&&Work like your on vacation!&&
IP Logged

Admin
Forum Administrator

I love YaBB!

Reply #5 - 03/03/08 at 21:05:16
Quote Print Post  
1. Spinnerbaits
2. Plastics
3. Crankbaits
4. Topwater
5. Jigs

Hard for me to throw a jig when I haven't had much luck with them.  Also, the presentation is the same as plastics, and I have just too much confidence in plastics to fish something less effective (for me).  However, after watching Iaconelli catch fish in 30' of water on 1-ounce jigs, I have a renewed interest in them.

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/03/08 at 21:18:28
Quote Print Post  
For me:
1) Jigs
2) Plastics
3) Cranks
4)Top H2o
5) Spinnerbaits

Why on 5 haven't caught squat on them in years. Used to catch tons of fish on them.

Number one I can throw blindfolded and know exactly what my bait is doing at all times-Catching Toads.

I am actually confident with all of the above in using and presentation.

Russ

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/08 at 00:05:23
Quote Print Post  
Jigs are at the bottom of my list. Why? I target SM on 99% of my fishing trips. I don't even own a flippin stick. That being said, I am looking forward to Russ schooling me on jigs at the Delta.

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/04/08 at 02:10:29
Quote Print Post  
Great subject Rev.

Let's see,  maybe I have been fortunate enough to fish a variety of parts of the country and it required to learn new and different things.  I feel very comfortable with all of the techniques / baits listed.  That being said here goes my list.

1) Plastics,  texas, wacky, carolina, drop shotted, weightless,   all good
2) Cranks,  some days you just know that you will only get 5 bites for your 1000 cast, but oh baby, they are 5 BIG bites
3)  Jigs,  what I originally learned to fish bass with.  Very versitile lure
4)  Spinnerbaits  I was fortunate enough to live near the Delta for some years and that is prime spinnerbait country
5)  Topwater.  I am with Sarge on this one.  Love to throw it, it's just that I am not on the water very often when it is the most productive.  Also, the smallies on the westside are not as topwater prone as the eastside smallies are.

I always make a point every year to spend considerable time learning how to work and gain confidence in new baits.  Last year I worked on the chatterbait and swimbaits.  This year I will continue on swimbaits and also work on a technique which I dubbed swimshotting.  ( think of working a dropshot pretty fast just a few feet off the bottom)  I will let you know how it goes.

Mark

IP Logged

Stu
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/04/08 at 03:50:30
Quote Print Post  

1) Plastics - CAROLINA LIZARDS! drop shot, grubs, tubes, worms (fished these the most = confidence)
2) Spinnerbaits - finally focused on and figured these out last year
3) Jigs - gained confidence last year but want to use more this year
4) Cranks - don't own and use enough
5)Topwater - don't own and use enough

The biggest factor for me is that I don't give myself enough time on the water to get good at the last two. Most of my time has been fish-ins and tourneys, so I end up having to go with my best odds of catching something instead of trying new lures/techniques. This year my "fun fishing" is going up and my "event" fishing is going way down, so I hope to get better all the way around.

Stu

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #10 - 03/04/08 at 06:30:01
Quote Print Post  
1)Plastics...can cover all types and cover and water depth
2)Crankbaits...hard to lay this down during the prespawn
3)Spinnerbaits...great at banks and my biggest fish came off one
4)Topwater...just don't use it enough, but fun when the water explodes
5)Jigs...use it a lot at night, but not much during the day

This year I'm hoping to catch a fish on a frog topwater and buzzbait.  I'm also going to work the jig more and catch better quality of fish.  I think I don't use the jig much becuase you don't get too many bites with them and I get discourage.  I'm going to fish Silver this year so hopefully catch a nice pig on a jig/pig.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

trucknmusic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/04/08 at 08:25:26
Quote Print Post  
A Texan aspect...

1. Topwaters
2. Cranks
3. Spinners
4. Plastics
5. Jigs

I feel much more comfortable power fishing... the last choices take too long to fish which can wear on your confidence.  I have also replaced a lot of jigs w/ texas rigged plastics... so I don't find myself fishing them as much... unless a shaky head counts... then my whole list is messed up.   As for topwater being #1, I think that is because I use them at the right time... If I threw them all the time obviously they wouldn't work.

IP Logged

Tubetric
Forum Member

The fun of fishing is
the friends you make!!!!!!!!

Reply #12 - 03/04/08 at 19:59:28
Quote Print Post  
This can be very hard to answer as you need to be versatile in your fishing around here to compete with the guys in the club. As western has alot of great fisherman. Myself I try to apply the right bait at the right time. 

1.plastics
2 swimbaits
3 topwater
4 cranks
5 carolina rig

these do change from fishing trip to fishin trip as I try to build confedence in what ever I choose to throw or fish with. I dont think its more what I like to use but more what I choose to use. I am O.K. at using all of the above. Most people give up after 1/2 hour and change to something else when its not the lure but the area you need to change.

&& &&

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/08 at 03:29:52
Quote Print Post  
Here we go:

1-Plastics
2-crankbaits
3-jigs
4-spinnerbaits (use to be my #1 but not in the NW)
5-topwater

Not enough confidence and working at it.  Need to practice with someone who really understands topwater and learn more from them.

Chuck P

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/29/08 at 09:52:41
Quote Print Post  
1. Plastics 
2. Spinnerbaits 
3. Crankbaits
4. Jigs
5. Topwater

That's as close as I can get, since the categories are so open. What I mean by that for example is that under the umbrella of plastics are my most favourite/confident lures/methods; Dropshotting wacky-rigged bolt grubs, Skipping Senkos and Texas rigged Twintails - as well as my least favourite/confident; Carolina Rigs.

My 2007 number 5 would have been Crankbaits, but I made a concerted effort to use them as much as possible and learn how to make them work for me rather than just "chunk'n'wind". I'm nowhere near "expert" with crankbaits, or anything else for that matter but I feel I have improved greatly in my use of Crankies.

I rated Topwater at 5 like a lot of people simply because the other 4 seem to be far more consistent and workable more of the day.

Faz

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo