Normal Topic Bass Pro has powder coat paint (Read 3012 times)
Stu
Ex Member

Bass Pro has powder coat paint
01/02/08 at 00:30:38
Quote Print Post  
For everyone who paints their own jigheads and lead, BassPro ow has a nice selection of powder coat colors:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&ca...

Stu

IP Logged

dilbert
Forum Member

Re: Bass Pro has powder coat paint
Reply #1 - 01/02/08 at 02:53:45
Quote Print Post  
Be careful, their figure with the colors has at least one mistake.  #14 is the copperhead color, not #15.  I noticed that in the new catalog they just sent me and it looks like they have the same mistake online.

Here's a figure with the correct colors.
http://www.do-itmolds.com/prodpaint2.aspx?c=166

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/02/08 at 03:14:59
Quote Print Post  
Speaking of painting, does anyone have a recommendation as to a paint system and where locally to buy a good one?  I've heard of a few but would like some input from any members who actually do alot of painting.  would rather spend the money buying a good system then buying something I'll be disappointed in soon (just like buying rods and reels-spend the money buying good stuff not junk).  Any input would be appreciated?

Chuck Pigue

IP Logged

dilbert
Forum Member

Reply #3 - 01/02/08 at 15:14:00
Quote Print Post  
Are you talking about a fluid bed for powder paint?  I'm sort of interested in building one, but I can't justify spending over $100 for the ones I've seen for sale.

I just fluff the powder, heat the jigs, and swish.  I get a fairly thin very uniform coating with that method and it works good for the few hundred I make at a time.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/03/08 at 03:28:10
Quote Print Post  
I was mainly speaking about the paints used to paint crankbaits, etc.  For the powder coat style, I use the old advertised way I saw it years ago, A very good hot air gun, heat the product and dip it in the jar.  It has always worked for me.  Thanks for asking though.

Chuck P Wink

IP Logged

The_Rev.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/04/08 at 06:11:29
Quote Print Post  
Are you talking about airbrushing your crankbaits?  Because if you are - you are right - get a good system, or you'll regret it.  But that requires an air supply too - so do you have a compressor?  They add more cost to the process.  And while they are not too complicated to run, it takes some real patience and talent to produce professional results.  I dip my lure bodies in white first, let it dry, then when it you start to airbrush, the key is to put many light coats - don't try to do it all at one time.  Clean up is a pain too.  Still, with a little work, your lures can look like you want them to.  The key is to add up the cost of the airbrush, the compressor, the paints, a booth of some sort (with fan), and then look at how many crankbaits you can buy for the same amount of money.  If you want another winter time hobby - then go for it, but don't be surprised if in a couple of years it's sitting in the corner of the shed collecting dust.  That's my 2 cents worth.

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/05/08 at 03:20:01
Quote Print Post  
Rev,  you are correct.  I was looking for something to do in the wintertime and thought it might be something fun, but you are also right in stating it may wind up in a corner.  Seems I have many things (according to my wife) sitting in the corner of the garage (which is suppose to be for cars but hasn't seen a car in years).  I'll think seriously about all of the advice before acting.  Maybe I'll just spend time thinking about it............ Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Chuck P

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo