Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Swimbaits?? (Read 13068 times)
bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Re: Swimbaits??
Reply #15 - 03/09/08 at 17:16:57
Quote Print Post  
I would like to learn to throw swimbaits but have to purchase a good swimbait rod. Any recommendations

IP Logged

Tubetric
Forum Member

The fun of fishing is
the friends you make!!!!!!!!

Reply #16 - 03/09/08 at 17:21:45
Quote Print Post  
bassin9 give me a call and I can get you some great swimbait rods at a very good price. 253-579-6999. have some coming to me this week but they are sold out. but I might be able to pull a few srtings and come up with something if your interested.

mack

&& &&

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Reply #17 - 03/09/08 at 22:44:21
Quote Print Post  
I bought a Daiwa Luna for the Big Dog smimbait (huddleston) that I will be throwing at Clear Lake this year. It looks like it will work fine. I had to pick up the new "Magnum Swim Bait" rod from St.Croix to throw it. I have two other rods that are the swimbait model also from St. Croix but they are for smaller swimbaits (1-4oz).

For the small swimbaits (0-1oz) I use the Glass Rod that I have. It works well for the smaller swimbaits.

My 2 cents.

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #18 - 03/09/08 at 23:05:29
Quote Print Post  
Sounds like a sweet setup Mike.  I myself have bought a 401 Calcutta.  Have thrown a 2 oz bait with it so far and it does great.  My rod is a Quantum swimbait special.  I'm new to swimbaits, so I didn't go all out on the rod, Yet.  I got it off Ebay for $100.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

T_Dot
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/19/08 at 16:28:03
Quote Print Post  
hi all

Smiley

we dabbled in the realm of swimbaits last year, though we do not spend as much time on the water as most, it took very little convincing for us to take a deeper look.

i am the biggest skeptic when it comes to anything in general, and would literally have to see it with my own eyes to believe it.

we caught our fair share of quality fish last year, and it was a vast improvement since it was our 1st year on the water.  this year would be our 2nd.  when in the swimbait game, you are pretty much after 1 single bite.  last year we committed a specific day to finally put in that time.  as frustrating as it was, we kept reminding ourselves that we were only after 1 bite.  well, we got it...  and thats how we got hooked.

now i am not only a believer, we have all jumped off into the deep end.  being in the pacific northwest, seattle to be specific, i would easily say we are heavily invested.  we have improved alot from 2 years ago, and just last year we would throw plastics like no tomorrow.

in all honesty, looking back, i would say i was a lure collector.  i probably had a store on the boat, as well as at home [obviously you must have a backup or two].  yes there were even lures that were so pretty i didnt even throw, mainly because i was too scared to lose them.

i have since stepped outside the box, and stepped way outside my comfort zone.  we have gone so far off, as to sell off all of our dead weight [lures we have just in case, and the other lures just in case the 'just in case ones' didnt work - lol].  simply put, if you were to ask me what a senko is now, i would reply with 'what is that?'

we have chosen to take the road less travelled.

Smiley

5bagger - what swimbaits are you able to get your hands on?  we are always looking for new and exciting lures.

hopefully we will see some of you on the lakes this year.

IP Logged

2000subaru
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/20/08 at 17:03:40
Quote Print Post  
t-dot- I hope that I am not giving any special info away, but was your 30+ bag you guys boated all from last year all on swimbaits?

IP Logged

Tubetric
Forum Member

The fun of fishing is
the friends you make!!!!!!!!

Reply #21 - 03/21/08 at 04:38:02
Quote Print Post  
T Dot,
Can get alot of Basstrix's and the new Tru-Tungsten Live Eye swimbait. Which is the first swimbait that you can change the depth that it swims at. Now more buying 3 different baits for different depths. Call for more details and to find out how to get these New not even out yet baits. And other TTru-Tungsten products new on the market.

253 -579-6999

&& &&

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/22/08 at 18:36:43
Quote Print Post  
Now I am confident throwing swim baits. I threw them for 3 days straight and caught all of my fish except one on Clear lake with a Basstrix style bait up to 5.8 lbs. Most fish were 3-4lbs and they swallow it when they hit it.

Pat Sotherland will be posting some pics of our trip later in the week.

More to come.

Russ

IP Logged

Larry S.
Board Moderator

Reply #23 - 03/30/08 at 17:17:58
Quote Print Post  
Had to get some swimbaits going as all the others are sold out Cry... so went here......
http://www.basscraftlures.com/
Will report how they do! Wink
Dont worry Mack....I still want some of the others in the larger sizes!

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #24 - 03/30/08 at 17:49:13
Quote Print Post  
I like what Troy had said in another post.  How he's going to use the swimbaits but not get carried away.  I personally have got carried away  Shocked  When I catch my first 5lb smallie, or more numbers of big LM's, it will be all worth it.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

WCCT
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/30/08 at 18:08:35
Quote Print Post  
Here is the one I am working on right now.  I call it the Swim Shady.  It is really close to the California Swim Baby "E".  It is about 4 3/4" long and I am just figuring out what inserts and weighting system works out best with it. http://westcoastcustomtackle.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album...

IP Logged

Rwfaz
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/30/08 at 20:09:56
Quote Print Post  
For a rod, try shaving down the end of a Telegraph Pole, strap an M-1 Abrams Main Radio Antenna to it, and the fit this with a 24v Warn Winch!!!

Grin Grin
Faz

IP Logged

Rob M.
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 07/03/09 at 03:08:35
Quote Print Post  
Threw a swimbait at Sammamish on Saturday.........lets just say I saw a pig!! I had 3 other followers throughout the morning but no takers. I am throwing a hard swimbait. Slow fall with twitches here and there. Not too much to report cause I didn't really have success, but you got to start somewhere. Better keep a fresh can of chew with you cause it is slow fishing....

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #28 - 07/03/09 at 05:27:41
Quote Print Post  
The action is usually slow when you start out with the swimbaits.  Until of course you get that big follower and it lets you down cause they never seem to bite.  One day it will happen though, as it did for me earlier in the year (8-2 green fish).  Keep at it Rob, just don't buy as many as I did, very hard on the wallet.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo