Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Swimbaits?? (Read 13020 times)
basspro
Ex Member

Swimbaits??
12/30/07 at 01:11:25
Quote Print Post  
So who is going to be trying these more this year and what style are you going to throw. I just bought two packs of different styles myself today and can't wait to throw them.
Russ

IP Logged

Xsftballer
Forum Member

St. Croix Rods Pro Staff,
Anglers Marine Pro Staff

Re: Swimbaits??
Reply #1 - 12/30/07 at 01:31:43
Quote Print Post  
I sure am going to Russ. I used them a little bit last year with a little success. Love watching the smallies come out of no where to eat it.

Mike

Misunderstood

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/30/07 at 04:45:10
Quote Print Post  
you can bet i will be tossing one this next year.  caught several quality fish on them this last fall and look to figure out some little tricks to find some more kicker fish.  i like the california swimbabe tiny e its 4.5in... perfect for smallies!

troy

IP Logged

Chris B.
WBC Member

Reply #3 - 12/30/07 at 05:58:17
Quote Print Post  
I will be throwing them alot more.  Got the rod for it, just need a reel.

Wishful Sponsors: BassCat Boats, Mercury Marine, Tackle Warehouse, Chevy Trucks, Chevron Gas, G-Loomis Rods, Shimano Reels.
IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/30/07 at 06:22:27
Quote Print Post  
At times last year I had tremendous success with  them.  I was really a lot of fun too.  It is common practice to adjust a crankbait or spinnerbait so it runs 'right'  The same holds true with swimbaits.  I spent good hours on our back deck tweaking baits and hooks etc. and it REALLY makes a big difference.  Caught fish using basstrix, various size,sink rate Huds, 3:16 Mighty Minnow and a few others.  Got a Tripple Trout over the holidays along with a Fish Arrow - Spooky Jack.  Can't wait til March to boat some thumpers.

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Reply #5 - 12/31/07 at 03:21:51
Quote Print Post  
I had great success this year on swimbaits with the smallies.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

bassin9
WBC Member

I Love WBC!

Reply #6 - 12/31/07 at 17:22:07
Quote Print Post  
I have never fished with swimbaits yet, but were do you get them around here and what kinds?

IP Logged

Ripalip
Forum Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - 12/31/07 at 18:34:18
Quote Print Post  
Aburn Sports & Marine now has some swim baits in the Spro bbc-1 and other brands and we are getting more in stock.Check in at the store or call and ask for troy he will be able to tell you what ones are in stock. be aware most of your rods you use for other type of fishing will not work if you are throwing big heavy swim baits you will need to move to a swim bait rod and a reel.

Thayne

IP Logged

Wabasmstr
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/31/07 at 20:39:29
Quote Print Post  
Speaking of swimbait rods and reels, what are some really great recommendations in the following areas:

swimbaits  3-5":   Rod-               Reel-                       Line-

swimbaits 5-9" :   Rod-                Reel-                      Line-

I really don't see throwing any swimbaits larger than 9" here in the Northwest, but only if I leave the NW and go toward CA.....  Lets hear your best........

Thanks,

Chuck P

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/01/08 at 03:08:58
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

That would be for me my Ordella rods 7-6 flipping stick.

Russ

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/01/08 at 05:49:24
Quote Print Post  
Closest I've come is just swimming a 5" Kalin grub on a ball jighead, hook exposed. I like the Rainbow Trout pattern with a 1/8-1/4 oz jighead. Finding a jig with a large enough hook is a problem. Relatively cheap, and it catches fish just fine. C&R, Steve

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/01/08 at 19:43:22
Quote Print Post  
S,

Thats true swimbaits like that work just fine. Sorry to hear about the hand. My knee is still giving me issues. Seeing the dock this week. For some reason it keeps swelling and painful when I walk.

Are you still at Hardy???

Basspro

IP Logged

S._Basser
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/01/08 at 21:49:26
Quote Print Post  
Regarding the grubs subbing in for the spendy swimbaits, I know there are bigger grubs out there than 5". I think Yamamoto makes a 9", if you think you need big.  If you're too worried about losing your spendy swimbait, you won't put it where you need to, IMO. Cheaper is easier to get aggressive with, anyway.  

Yeah, still at the same place, since July '99.  Amazing, ain't it?!!!  C&R, Steve

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/01/08 at 23:08:57
Quote Print Post  
I spent time throwing a swim bait this year and learned that you can actually skip the bait.  Think of a small trout trying to get away from a large bass, what does it do, ??? jump out of and back into the water.  The trick is finding a rod heavy enough to throw it with a soft enough tip to get the whip into the tip to skip it.  I can't wait to try it down at Clear lake this year.  Not sure to many bass have seen a skipping swimbait come under a dock before.  Oh yeah, this is with a baitcaster, not a spinning outfit.  Not many spinning rods out there than can handle the big baits and still be able to fight a fish.

Mark

IP Logged

Tubetric
Forum Member

The fun of fishing is
the friends you make!!!!!!!!

Reply #14 - 03/06/08 at 02:47:50
Quote Print Post  
I'm not an excpert at swimbaits, but I have had alot time on the water with them and talked to alot of guy's that are considerd the best swimbait fisherman in cali and would really like to help out others like they were willing to help me. I have some great rods for swimbaits that I would be willing to help others get. these rods are made or produce in the specifics of these guys. I can get these at a great price. They are the same rods used by the guys in the BIG BAIT POSSE DVD. Also can get alot of swimbaits that are really hard to get these days. Basstrix and so on. Feel free to call me.

Mack 253-579-6999

I am more than willing to share what I have learned.

&& &&

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo