Normal Topic flipping stick advice (Read 4111 times)
Troy
Ex Member

flipping stick advice
12/11/07 at 01:33:00
Quote Print Post  
alright fellas i'm looking to add a new flipping stick to my arsenal, and i was wondering what you prefer as far as length and action?  i cant decide between a fast or extra fast action and i'm thinking 7'-7'6".  what are the advantages between actions... basically tell me what to buy  Smiley

troy

IP Logged

basspro
Ex Member

Re: flipping stick advice
Reply #1 - 12/11/07 at 02:02:35
Quote Print Post  
Troy,

As an avid flipper for the past 30 years I have two such rods for two different applications. First of all I want to say that I prefer a one piece rod since the sensitivity is greater. Not a telescopic rod just one solid piece. I use both a 7' and a 7-6. I use the shorter of the two for short flips and the 7-6 for the longer flips. Fast action is my preference.

I currently am using an Ordella rods XBB964 that has been cut down to 7-6 and it works great for Potholes, Silver, or anybody of water you wish to flip on.

Before you buy one give me a call or IM me because I have two others that I will be selling sometime in the future for a steal.

Russ

IP Logged

sarge
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/11/07 at 16:11:18
Quote Print Post  
For most Washington fishing, I would choose a 7' rod with a fast tip. A fast tip will allow you to pitch better than an extra fast tip, and I find myself pitching a lot more than flipping. I'm 5'9" (and 1/2"!!!), so I've also found that a 7'6" flippin' rod is too long for me and I end up sticking the tip in the water too much.

IP Logged

Troy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/07 at 05:50:51
Quote Print Post  
thanks guys,  sarge makes sense that a fast tip would load better than an extra-fast.  I was stuck just thinking about once my lure was in the water.  i'll keep that offer in mind to russ, appriciate it.

troy

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/13/07 at 01:31:31
Quote Print Post  
Troy,
  Sarge is dead on about pitchin vs. flipping.  There is very little true flipping water in WA.  So the 7ft makes a little more sense and can double up as an extra rod for another type of fishing.  My 7ft preference is the G Loomis IMX 843c.  Enough back bone to move a fish, VERY sensitive, light and can double as an excellent jig rod.

Mark

IP Logged

DUNE HOPPER
WBC Member

USMC Ret.  "Full Livewells,
I'll drink to that!"

Reply #5 - 12/13/07 at 03:11:46
Quote Print Post  
I have 3 different Shimano "Flippin" Sticks. A 7'10" which I only use in the Delta or maaaybeee Silver Lk., A 7'2" which I use most often and a 6'10" which is my favorite for "Pitchin" which is what I do a lot of.  All have fast tips and heavy actions.

Smitty Wink
« Last Edit: 12/13/07 at 14:23:51 by DUNE HOPPER »  

Retired From Everything but Feeshin and doing April's bidding

IP Logged

Nick-Barr
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/13/07 at 05:40:00
Quote Print Post  
I also prefer a 7 footer, mines a MH with a fast tip, Lamiglas XC 705.

I also though like for potholes and Silver Lake, my 7'6 teloscopic Lamiglas XFT 766 Heavy w/ fast tip

7'6 for longer, heavier duty pitching/flipping.

7 footer for more close in, lighter duty applications.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo