Normal Topic What a drag... (Read 3281 times)
The_Rev.
Ex Member

What a drag...
08/04/07 at 03:32:15
Quote Print Post  
I was reading another forum and an angler mentioned their backseater lost a large fish, his bait returning with a straightened out hook.  I was encouraged that the author did not attemp to put the blame for losing the fish on any particular factor.  WHY?  Because that would give us the opportunity to discuss our theories for lost fish and straightend hooks.  So, think about that lost fish, the straighten hook, and ask yourself: 1) Did the hook fail?  2) Did the angler choose the wrong hook?  3) Were there other factors that caused that hook to bend out?

Do I have an opinion?  Well thanks for asking!  If you insist on getting my thoughts I will humbly offer up this...

Personally, I have used every excuse in the world for losing fish.  But time and reality have led me to believe that it takes a "balanced set up" in terms of technique and fishing tools to successfully bring a large fish to the boat.  Starting at one end, obviously hook choice is important, then there's the knot, the line, the rod itself, and the reel.  Obviously the fisherman's technique makes a huge difference!  Horsing a fish in too fast is a big reason fish are lost.  That is basic knowledge to all anglers.

But here's the main point I want to make - bass angler's don't talk enough about the drag on their reels.  Over the years I have discovered that if the whole set-up is balanced, fish rarely get off, hooks never get straightened out, and there are fewer stories about "the one that got away".  And the DRAG is a major key to netting big fish!  Watch the guys you fish with next time.  A lot of anglers will pick up their rod for the first cast of the day and 1) check the knot and 2) the line before launching the bait.  But rarely do I see anglers check their drag.  As a result I believe most straightened hooks are a result of ignoring the drag, that is, not setting it for the conditions, structure, line diameter, and type of fish.  

Why don't I believe it's ever the hook's fault?  Have you ever seen the size and diameter of hooks used by fly-fishermen (even those used by salmon fishermen)?  Many times those hooks are smaller in size and diameter than those we use as bass anglers.  But they don't straighten out because of a balanced system.  The "give" required comes from a long "giving" flyrod, (and yes, a drag when necessary).  Since I have started working at making each bass rod a more balanced system - including the proper adjustment of the drag - straighten hooks just don't happen anymore.

So what do you think?  Is your experience different?  Anything to add? As you tell, I'm trying to DRAG you guys into this topic.  But I think it's a good one...

IP Logged

Y2SAYS
Forum Administrator
WBC Member
WBC Board Member

Re: What a drag...
Reply #1 - 08/04/07 at 20:39:25
Quote Print Post  
I totally agree with you Rev.  Most recently my buddy Som and I have lost more fish in the past few trips then we have ever had before.  I also concluded that we don't let the fish run enough.  Either we are pulling the hooks out of their mouths, trying to lip the fish too early while the fish still has energy or like my friend who lost a pig at Chelan when his hook bent.  Lesson learned...take your time and play the fish and let them run.

"Do or do not, there is no try"

IP Logged

marktfd88
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/05/07 at 14:25:43
Quote Print Post  
A balanced approach.  I like that.  One has to constantly analyze what, where and how they are fishing and adjust accordingly.  That's what makes bass fishing so fun.  It is a giant puzzle and all the pieces need to be put in place to land fish consistently.  The biggest thing I always consider in where could the fish run to, as into to any danger.  I try to quickly move the fish up and away from danger and then let him play himself out.  If there is really no danger for the fish to get into, then take your time.

Mark

IP Logged

Varmint
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/06/07 at 17:58:42
Quote Print Post  
Just don't take too much time with smallmouth. Studies have shown excessive adrenaline can kill them hours after they are released.

IP Logged

jwerner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/18/07 at 02:26:48
Quote Print Post  
Chuck,

Thanks for this post.  Reading this made me realize I treat smallmouth too much like largemouths when playing them.  Because of your post, I use my drag MUCH more while playing my skinny water smallies!

Jon Werner

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo